Searching for a spooky predominant course to have a good time Halloween? You’ve come to the precise place! I got here up with Witches Brew Stew for Disney Dinners: Hocus Pocus. It’s a twist on my basic beef stew (which is so good, it’s in my cookbook!). Right here I’ve swapped the carrots for extra seasonal butternut squash and I’ve added a haunting twist: a floating cream cheese eyeball impressed by the Sanderson Sisters’ spell guide.
The eyeballs take no time in any respect to make and are one thing that little cooks would in all probability love serving to you with! I rolled cream cheese into balls and added sliced black olives to every. I did this proper earlier than serving and was shocked at how effectively the eyeballs stayed in tact. I sort of assumed they’d soften into the stew immediately however it undoubtedly was trying again at me whereas I used to be consuming it till I broke it up with my spoon!
That is actually a very simple dish to make. Probably the most sophisticated half is solely browning the meat. You then just about dump all the things within the Dutch oven and depart it alone. I really like simple recipes like that! This may make your complete home odor completely extremely and the meat is fall-apart tender.
Witches Brew Stew
2 lbs stew meat
2 1/2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp butter
2 cups diced yellow onion
4 garlic cloves, minced
4 cups water, divided
2 beef bouillon cubes
1 cup purple wine
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 bay leaves
2 cups Yukon gold potatoes, minimize into 1″ cubes
2 cups butternut squash, minimize into small cubes
Italian parsley for garnish
2-4 oz cream cheese
- Preheat oven to 325 levels. Rinse stew meat and pat dry with a paper towel. Toss with 2 1/2 Tbsp flour, salt, and pepper. Brown in 1 Tbsp olive oil in a Dutch oven on the range over a medium flame, working in batches. Take away to a plate. Decrease warmth, add 1 Tbsp butter, and cook dinner onion for a couple of minutes, till translucent. Add garlic and cook dinner for one or two minutes, till aromatic.
- Deglaze pan with two cups of water. Toss in two beef bouillon cubes, one cup of purple wine, one tablespoon of balsamic, and remaining two cups of water. Add bay leaves, potatoes, and add the stew meat again in. Tie rosemary with kitchen twine and add to dutch oven. Put the lid on and pop within the oven for 2 hours.
- Take stew out of the oven, add butternut squash, then return to the oven for one more hour. It’s prepared as quickly because the potatoes and squash are fork-tender.
- Whereas the stew is ending up, roll cream cheese into balls (a couple of half tablespoon per eyeball), urgent sliced black olives into every ball.
- Garnish the stew with chopped Italian parsley and serve every bowl with an edible eyeball.
Notice: If you wish to use beef broth as a substitute of beef bouillon cubes, omit two cups of water. Two beef bouillon cubes + 2 cups water = 2 cups beef broth. When you use all 4 cups of water with beef broth, you’ll have two cups of additional liquid and the stew might be runny.