Chilly brew espresso is a superb treatment for these lengthy, canine days of summer season. And with a cute black bear on the packaging, how are you going to go incorrect with Wandering Bear Espresso? However as we’ve all been informed: Don’t decide a e-book by its cowl.
So is that this Wandering Bear chilly brew espresso price it? Learn our assessment to seek out out.
Abstract: Wandering Bear Espresso
- Compact packing containers with pour spout comprised of totally recyclable supplies
- Straightforward-to-use faucet for dishing out espresso
- Shelf-stable, unsweetened, and dairy-free chilly brew espresso
The aroma…could be very vibrant with a contact of smoke however…Wandering Bear chilly brew is earthy and easy. There’s little or no bitterness…
– Sarah Fischer, Culinary Assistant at Style of House
Wandering Bear Espresso Evaluation
In 2014, two caffeine-fuelled graduate college students, Matt and Ben, began a contest to see who may make the perfect chilly brew (1). Since then, their collective obsession with making sturdy, easy chilly brews led to the founding of Wandering Bear Espresso.
So is that this chilly brew on faucet well worth the hype? Maintain studying to seek out out.
Packaging – 4/5
Apart from Wandering Bear’s 11-ounce single-serve bottles and 32-ounce cartons, the chilly brew on faucet is available in a totally recyclable field, making it one among our most beneficial sustainable espresso manufacturers. Even the faucet itself is comprised of sugarcane.
Whenever you’re performed with the chilly brew, recycling the elements is so simple as separating the plastic liner and the cardboard field.
Along with the normal vitamin details, a QR code, and a brief blurb about Matt and Ben—Wandering Bear’s co-founders—the packaging prominently includes a silhouette of a black bear unfold throughout the highest and aspect of the field.
The colour scheme is unassuming—that includes a black bear with a blue shadow and black-and-blue font. However the easy, informative copy and the lovable bear are greater than sufficient to entice any chilly brew connoisseur.
Ease of Use – 4/5
Wandering Bear Espresso couldn’t have made untapping their chilly brew any simpler. However you need to muster a bit of braveness of your personal.
You’ll should method the black bear head-on to seek out the faucet and break the seal. Flip the field over in order that the bear is going through you. Discover the perforated cutout, and pull the sugarcane faucet out from contained in the field.
To make sure the faucet doesn’t slide round, Wandering Bear has positioned a couple of notches on the physique of the faucet. Furthermore, the flap of the field adjoining to the round cutout matches neatly into these notches, holding the faucet on the correct angle for decanting. When you break the seal, simply press the button and decant it into your glass.
We did discover that the chilly brew comes out fairly slowly, so it does take a bit of persistence to fill an ordinary 16-ounce glass. Furthermore, when you’re greater than three-quarters of the best way by the chilly brew, you’ll should stability the faucet—through a kind of notches—on the sting of the glass, tilt the field with one hand, and press the button with the opposite.
Sadly, this makes for a slightly precarious pour. We created a non-slip floor utilizing a dampened paper towel to maintain our glass from sliding round our countertop. As soon as the glass was steady, it took a little bit of maneuvering to seek out simply the precise angle for the chilly brew to decant.
Lastly, after we had been pouring these final drops from the underside of the bag, we needed to take the plastic liner out and coax the chilly brew into our glass.
Worth for Cash – 5/5
Wandering Bear chilly brew is available in numerous flavors and sizes. For this assessment, we selected the 96-ounce field of chilly brew.
The copy on the aspect panel says there are 16 six-ounce servings per field. Every six-ounce glass is as sturdy as two pictures of espresso, and at $2.25 per glass, this is a superb deal. In the event you drink only one glass of chilly brew a day, the 96-ounce field will final you two weeks.
Taste – 5/5
Whereas having a chilly brew on faucet is nice, it’s what’s inside that counts. And Wandering Bear doesn’t disappoint. Maintain studying for some common notes on Wandering Bear Espresso’s chilly brew, adopted by a couple of notes on the particular varieties we selected.
First, this chilly brew is robust and easy; throughout all three varieties, it’s daring with none bitterness. So whether or not you’re a chilly brew connoisseur or simply beginning your chilly brew journey, Wandering Bear has struck the right stability between a daring, fragrant cup and a easy one.
Secondly, Wandering Bear makes use of solely 100% natural arabica beans. According to their dedication to sustainability, they solely use beans from sustainable espresso farms and cooperatives all through Nicaragua, Mexico, Colombia, and Peru.
What’s extra, regardless of having noticeable hints of taste, all of Wandering Bear’s chilly brew coffees are sugar-free. And since all their chilly brew espresso is dairy-free, you may add any dairy substitute you favor.
Lastly, whereas every of the three flavors we tried was wonderful, in case you’re in search of the pure, Wandering Bear expertise, we’d counsel going with the Straight Black chilly brew.
The primary Wandering Bear chilly brew espresso we untapped was vanilla. To our shock, the substances listing was very easy: filtered water, natural arabica espresso from Peru, and pure natural taste. Sadly, as a result of there was a small tear within the nook of the plastic liner, we needed to switch it to a different container.
However regardless of that minor hiccup, this taste was genuinely pleasant. Wandering Bear describes this selection as “Espresso ahead with delicate hints of vanilla,” which was very correct in our expertise.
The aroma was very paying homage to a fresh-baked vanilla cupcake. As you sip, hints of cream and marshmallows are very obvious.
As with the earlier taste, this taste was “espresso ahead with delicate hints of mocha.” The substances listing was the identical because the vanilla selection.
This time, every thing went as anticipated. After pulling the spout out of the round cutout and transferring the opposite flap out of the best way, we may decant as per Wandering Bear’s directions.
In contrast to the vanilla selection above, the chilly mocha brew was bolder in aroma and taste. The aroma reminded us of baker’s chocolate and caramel, whereas a pecan-like nuttiness and a slight trace of brightness got here by within the style.
General, we loved the mocha greater than the vanilla taste as a result of the slight nuttiness and the chocolate aroma had been a way more pure pairing for Wandering Bear’s base Peruvian chilly brew.
Straight Black Chilly Brew
Lastly, we’ve saved the perfect for final. Wandering Bear notes that this chilly brew is “Espresso ahead, additional sturdy, and surprisingly easy.” And this time, the substances listing is even less complicated: filtered water and 100% natural Peruvian arabica espresso.
Although we love mocha and vanilla, we had been wanting ahead to tasting Wandering Bear’s Straight Black as a result of it’d give us the perfect gauge of their espresso high quality. And truthfully, it was, hands-down, our favourite.
Many chilly brew coffees have a muddled taste profile with only a few delicate notes. However Wandering Bear’s Straight Black chilly brew espresso has an aroma that’s candy and buttery, like a pie crust, with a delicate word of plum. As with the opposite chilly brews, the Straight Black was easy with no lingering smoky or bitter notes.
There was a delicate caramelized sweetness—someplace between honey, caramel, and molasses.
Whereas there weren’t too many citrus or stone fruit notes, there was nonetheless a delicate trace of brightness to maintain the cup from turning into too heavy. To our palates, it lay someplace between inexperienced apple and contemporary strawberry, which made this a really well-balanced, easy cup.
Whilst you may add in milk, flavored syrups, or use it to make a pleasant pumpkin spice latte, this chilly brew is easy sufficient to drink by itself.
Don’t Purchase Wandering Bear Chilly Brew Espresso If…
- You’re on a decent price range: Whereas Wandering Bear espresso is a superb worth for the cash, it’s nonetheless costlier than making your personal chilly brew. In making chilly brew from scratch, you’re in full management of the forms of espresso beans you employ and might stick with the single-origins or high-quality blends you favor.
In the event you want some nice choices for chilly brew espresso beans, why not try our assessment of Lifeboost Espresso? Lifeboost is licensed natural, shade-grown within the mountains of Nicaragua, and hand-picked on the peak of ripeness to make sure the perfect and highest-antioxidant espresso beans. What’s extra, Lifeboost claims to be low-acid, so it’s a terrific alternative for anybody whose abdomen doesn’t at all times play properly with espresso (2).
- You’ve got restricted space for storing within the fridge: Whereas the chilly brew packing containers aren’t that enormous and measure in at 6.75″ by 4″ by 7.875 inches, they nonetheless take up some room. Wandering Bear’s smaller 32-ounce or 11-ounce chilly brew coffees could be a greater match for tight areas and small fridges if in case you have a bigger household or do lots of prep-cooking. What’s extra, these smaller containers mean you can strive all of Wandering Bear’s flavored chilly brews with out committing to a boxed chilly brew on faucet.
- In the event you like a brighter, extra nuanced cup: As a result of chilly brew is steeped chilly, most of the extra nuanced flavors you’d historically anticipate within the last cup—corresponding to floral and spice notes, which regularly require warmth—don’t come out within the last cup.
- In case you are delicate to caffeine: Wandering bear usually describes its chilly brew as “sturdy and easy.” And admittedly, it does pack fairly a punch. Every six-ounce glass is equal to 2 pictures of espresso, and in case you eat espresso like water, then these caffeinated chilly brews may not be the only option. And since Wandering bear chilly brew is so easy, that’s very simple. Belief us; we’ve been there and have the T-shirt. As a substitute, we advocate Wandering Bear’s, Decaf Black. Whether or not you get pleasure from it straight or with a splash of cream, their decaf chilly brew enables you to get pleasure from as a lot chilly brew as you want with out the jitters (3).
In the event you’re in search of a easy, sturdy, natural, sugar-free, and dairy-free chilly brew, then any of Wandering Bear’s nice picks are properly well worth the cash.
This Wandering Bear chilly brew espresso additionally comes with recyclable packaging, a handy faucet, and a type issue that matches properly in nearly any fridge. You should utilize this chilly brew as a base for any iced espresso drinks on House Grounds or combine it in a chilly brew milkshake.
- Wandering Bear Espresso. (2022). Wandering Bear Espresso. https://wanderingbearcoffee.com/pages/about/
- Lifeboost espresso. Our Story. (2022). Lifeboost Espresso. https://lifeboostcoffee.com/pages/our-story/
- Wandering Bear Espresso. (n.d.). Chilly Brew on Faucet (96 oz)-Straight Black. Wandering Bear Espresso. https://wanderingbearcoffee.com/merchandise/cold-brew-on-tap-96-oz-decaf-black/