Someplace, within the deep recesses of my kitchen drawers, lies a sushi rolling mat. I’ve used it as soon as, maybe 5 years in the past, throughout my first and final try at rolling sushi at house. I made some lumpy rolls that day. Sushi is an artwork kind, and it’s not an image I can paint.
Selfmade sushi bowls are the reply to my sushi-at-home conundrum. There’s no rolling concerned, which implies they’re a lot simpler to make. You will get fairly inventive along with your components, too, since we’re merely piling them on high fairly than rolling them up. Better of all, these recent however hearty bowls hold me fueled for hours.
These sushi bowls begin off with rice, after all, blended with toasted, crumbled nori (the inexperienced seaweed casing for sushi rolls) and a few vinegar, soy sauce and sweetener. I opted for brown rice fairly than white, which affords extra fiber and a few flippantly nutty taste. Then, I topped the rice with edamame for protein, creamy avocado slices, quick cucumber matchsticks and carrot ribbons, made with my vegetable peeler.
The true kicker is the spicy mayo sauce drizzled on high, made merely with sriracha stirred into mayonnaise. It transforms the bowl from “tasty well being bowl” to, “I wish to eat this for breakfast, lunch and dinner and I don’t see why not?” territory.
For those who recognize sushi at eating places and wish to strive a unfastened variation at house, give this one a a strive. I like it and hope you do, too!
Extra Recent Bowls to Make
For those who take pleasure in these sushi bowls, strive these recipes on Cookie and Kate:
Please let me know the way your sushi bowls prove within the feedback. I really like listening to from you.
Veggie Sushi Bowls
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Prepare dinner Time: 30 minutes
- Complete Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Class: Entree
- Methodology: Stovetop
- Delicacies: Japanese
- Food regimen: Vegetarian
This recipe tastes like vegetarian sushi rolls, however in simplified bowl kind! The spicy mayo sauce actually takes it to a different degree. Be at liberty to play with the toppings to make this bowl style like your favourite roll. There are a couple of steps concerned, however every one is tremendous easy. Recipe yields 4 sushi bowls, which hold nicely for leftovers (for finest outcomes, slice the avocado simply earlier than serving).
Rice and seasonings
- 2 cups short-grain brown rice, rinsed nicely
- 1 sheet dried nori (about 8″ sq.)
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoons reduced-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar or agave nectar
- ½ teaspoon salt
Spicy mayo sauce
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sriracha or chili-garlic sauce, to style
All the things else
- 2 cups frozen edamame
- 2 massive carrots, sliced into ribbons with a vegetable peeler
- 1 avocado, sliced into lengthy strips
- 1 small cucumber
- Really useful garnishes: sesame seeds (ideally black) and pickled ginger
- To prepare dinner the rice: Deliver a big pot of water to boil. As soon as the water is boiling, pour within the rinsed rice and provides it a stir. Boil the rice for half-hour, then flip off the warmth and drain the rice. Return the rice to the pot and canopy the pot. Let the rice steam for 10 minutes. Take away the lid and fluff the rice with a fork.
- To organize the rice seasoning: In a small saucepan over medium warmth, mix the rice vinegar, tamari, sugar and salt. Heat the combination, stirring typically, till the sugar dissolves. Take away from warmth and toss with rice as soon as it’s carried out steaming.
- To toast the nori: In a big skillet over medium-low warmth, heat the sheet of nori till it’s turn into crisp sufficient to crumble simply, flipping midway, about 5 minutes. Take away from warmth and tear it into quarters. Crumble every bit into very small items in your fingers over the rice and drop it into the pot. Stir the nori into the rice and set the rice apart to chill.
- To prepare dinner the edamame: Deliver a pot of water to boil, then add the frozen edamame and simmer simply till the beans are warmed by means of, about 5 minutes. Drain and put aside.
- To organize the spicy mayo sauce, whisk collectively the mayonnaise and sriracha in a small bowl till nicely blended. Add extra sriracha when you’d like a spicier sauce.
- To organize the cucumber, slice it in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to scoop out the seeds and discard them. Then slice the halves into 2-inch lengthy items and slice them into matchsticks.
- Divide the rice between 4 bowls. High with edamame, carrots, avocado and cucumber. Drizzle chili-mayo sauce on high, sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve with pickled ginger on the facet.
Make it gluten free: Make sure to use gluten-free soy sauce (tamari is usually gluten free, however verify the label to make certain).
▸ Vitamin Info
Did you make this recipe?