This Traditional Oatmeal Bread jogs my memory of my childhood. We’d eat my mother’s model sizzling out of the oven, lined with chilly pats of butter. This recipe will make your interior youngster come alive!
This Oat Bread is tender, tender, and completely scrumptious! And who can resist the aroma of a freshly baked yeast bread recipe! It’s extremely comforting.
Why You Should Make
- This recipe comes from one in every of my favourite bakers, Nick Malgieri.
- There may be nothing higher than sharing a superb loaf of selfmade bread with your loved ones! Particularly when it’s nonetheless heat from the oven.
- Barely candy from the addition of brown sugar, that is one terrific selfmade yeast bread recipe.
One among my favourite loaves since childhood was my mother’s oatmeal bread. I’m undecided the key of her recipe, however I do recall consuming it sizzling from the oven with plenty of cool, creamy butter smeared on the slices. Sizzling bread? Chilly butter? Perhaps that was the key…I nonetheless love that combo. I turned to a baking guru, Nick Malgieri, for some inspiration for this problem.
His Tips on how to Bake (affiliate hyperlink) cookbook has been the supply for my favourite cheesecake, apple pie, and now oatmeal bread. Nick’s consideration to element was priceless when, as a novice baker, I wanted very detailed suggestions and directions. I’ve tried just a few oatmeal bread recipes through the years, however this has bought to be my favourite. Smooth, candy, tender. Actually the last word oat bread.
This Traditional Oatmeal Bread Recipe is a scrumptious, primary bread recipe made with dry energetic yeast.
- Rolled Oats – Previous Common Oatmeal not Fast Oats.
- Lively Dry Yeast – 1 envelope. I like to recommend Purple Star Yeast model.
- All-purpose, Unbleached flour – I exploit King Arthur model.
- Desk Salt – By no means omit the salt within the recipe because it’s a taste enhancer. Your bread will style flat with out salt.
- PRO-Tip: Keep in mind that yeast is a residing organism and in the event you add water that’s too sizzling, you’ll be able to kill the yeast. Use a kitchen thermometer to verify your heat water is round 110º and no hotter than 120º.
- Verify the expiration date in your yeast. If it has expired, buy a recent batch.
- A stand mixer match with a dough hook is a terrific solution to knead bread. Simply ensure that your mixer doesn’t overheat by monitoring it through the kneading course of.
- If the mixer feels highly regarded, flip it off and let it calm down earlier than persevering with. Chances are you’ll want to complete kneading by hand if crucial.
- Letting the dough rise, or proofing the dough, works greatest in a heat location. Cowl the bowl of kneaded bread with greased plastic wrap.
- PRO-Tip: A really perfect location is about 80-85º. Forcing the dough to rise in a too sizzling atmosphere will compromise the feel.
- Form the loaf by flattening the dough right into a rectangle, folding in half, and rolling to make a nice-shaped cylinder. If it doesn’t adhere to itself when rolling, a small quantity of water can be utilized to moisten the dough.
- You possibly can develop upon this recipe by including raisins or different dried fruit or by sprinkling with cinnamon and sugar earlier than rolling and shaping the dough right into a loaf to make a cinnamon oatmeal bread.
- I favor mine plain and easy, aside from that beneficiant smear of salted butter.
Regularly Requested Questions
The oatmeal provides some dietary worth that’s not in white bread. Oats contribute fiber and comprise magnesium, Vitamin B1, iron, and zinc. It’s more healthy than white bread, however not a wholesome meals per se.
In case your dough is sticky sufficient, the oats will adhere to the highest of the bread. If not, you’ll be able to brush a really gentle coat of water or milk over the floor, then sprinkle with oats. Milk will darken the crust a bit as a result of its sugar content material.
Oatmeal provides a gentle nutty taste to the bread.
Maintain your oatmeal bread at room temperature in a plastic bag for as much as 2 days. For longer storage, wrap effectively and hold within the freezer for as much as 2-3 months. Earlier than freezing, ensure that it’s cooled to room temperature or frost will develop.
You Could Additionally Like:
- 1 cup oatmeal (common, not fast oats)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup heat water (about 110º)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons dry energetic yeast (1 envelope)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, minimize into about 12 items, plus extra for greasing the bowl and pan
- Grease 8 1/2 x 4 1/4 inch loaf pan with butter and put aside.
- Pour boiling water over oats in a bowl. Stir and put aside until cooled to room temperature.
- Put heat water in a small bowl and add yeast. Stir and put aside.
- Within the bowl of a stand mixer, mix flour, brown sugar, and salt and stir to mix.
- Match mixer with the dough hook and add oatmeal, yeast combination, and butter items. Knead dough on low for about 5 minutes until easy and elastic.
- Place dough in a greased bowl, flip a few occasions to coat all sides with butter, and canopy with greased plastic wrap. Let rise until dough doubles in bulk, about one hour.
- Take away dough from bowl and place on a frivolously floured work floor. Deflate the dough with the palm of your hand.
- Type dough right into a rectangle, barely longer than pan size. Fold sides in in order that dough is barely much less in size than the pan, then roll to kind a decent cylinder. The dough ought to keep on with itself, but when it would not chances are you’ll dab a little bit of water on the floor to extend adherence.
- Place cylinder, seam aspect down, into ready pan. Cowl with greased plastic wrap and let rise until doubled, about an hour.
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- Take away plastic from risen dough and place pan within the oven. Instantly lower oven temperature to 350º and bake for 30-40 minutes or until the loaf is brown and sounds hole when tapped and/or inner temperature reaches 210º.
- Take away from pan to cooling rack. Slice when cooled.
Really useful Merchandise
As an Amazon Affiliate and member of different affiliate packages, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 101Complete Fats: 2gSaturated Fats: 1gTrans Fats: 0gUnsaturated Fats: 1gLdl cholesterol: 4mgSodium: 146mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 3g