This simple, Genuine Mexican Rice is made with recent tomatoes, onion, garlic, peas, and extra! A aromatic, flavorful facet dish that’s essential with any Mexican major course.
Excellent Mexican Rice, Constituted of Scratch
Everybody loves basic Mexican rice, with its medley of veggies, mild tomato-and-garlic seasoning, and versatile taste. It goes with any Mexican meal you’ll be able to consider, from a plate of hen enchiladas to daring beef barbacoa. A lot of fast, boxed varieties can be found, however if you want to make some from scratch, that’s completely doable, even on a busy weeknight. In reality, this recipe is so easy, you might skip the boxed variations utterly when you strive it!
So if there’s a meal you’re making that goes with rice, think about upgrading abnormal white rice to a pot of fluffy, colourful Mexican rice, full with savory onion and garlic, tomatoes, carrots, and peas. It’s a wholesome, piquant swap that your loved ones will love.
What’s the Distinction Between Spanish Rice and Mexican Rice?
Whereas Spanish rice and Mexican rice are very related, they do have a few variations. Mexican rice is often a bit softer and “soften in your mouth,” though after all, this relies on the recipe! However the principle distinction is that Spanish rice typically contains saffron for additional perfume and a vibrant yellow coloration.
What Is Mexican Rice Made Of?
Mexican rice constituted of scratch is a super-comforting, mild-but-zesty dish that everybody will love. And for the prepare dinner, there’s loads to like right here, too – the components and the cooking methodology are so easy!
- Onion: Chop the onion up right into a small cube. White onion is okay, or you might use yellow, pink, and many others.
- Garlic: Minced or pressed.
- Tomatoes: I exploit Roma tomatoes, however any form will work.
- Salt: For additional taste, you should use tomato bouillon or hen bouillon as a substitute of plain salt.
- Oil: Olive oil, avocado oil, vegetable oil, canola – no matter you want.
- Rice: For this recipe, go for a long-grain white rice.
- Carrot: Cube up one carrot.
- Peas: Frozen are effective. If you wish to save time, you’ll be able to omit the recent carrot, and substitute frozen peas and carrots.
- Hen Broth: Or vegetable broth.
Methods to Make This Dish
To make Mexican rice, you’ll first have to mix up the onions with the garlic and tomatoes. This makes a saucy condiment considerably like sofrito, to taste and coloration the rice. You then’ll have to par-cook the rice, add the opposite components, and let it get tender and fluffy. Right here’s the rundown:
- Make the Tomato Sauce. Utilizing a meals processor or blender, puree the onions, garlic, tomatoes, salt, and water. As soon as the combination is clean, set it apart.
- Saute the Rice. Set a big saucepan or pot (one which has a great, tight-fitting lid) over medium warmth. Pour the oil into the saucepan, and let that warmth up. Subsequent, add the rice, and saute the rice a bit of till it modifications from a translucent coloration to white.
- Add the Remaining Elements and Convey to a Boil. Pour/scrape the pureed tomato combination into the saucepan with the rice, and stir. Let this prepare dinner, stirring often, for a few minutes. Then add the carrots, peas and broth. Convey every little thing to a boil, and let it boil for only one minute.
- Simmer the Rice. As soon as the rice has boiled for one minute, flip down the warmth to medium-low and canopy the saucepan. Simmer the rice for 20 minutes – it’s useful to make use of a timer so that you simply don’t overcook the rice. Make certain to not uncover the rice whereas it simmers.
- Relaxation the Rice after which Serve. Take the simmered rice off of the warmth, and let it relaxation for five minutes with the lid on the saucepan. After 5 minutes, take away the lid, and fluff the rice with a fork. Serve together with your favourite dishes.
Suggestions for Completely-Cooked Mexican Rice
Everybody has their very own suggestions for making excellent rice, and for this recipe, I undoubtedly have a number of myself. These are my greatest items of recommendation for cooking genuine, do-it-yourself Mexican rice to perfection.
- 1-Minute Boil: Get your rice as much as a boil, then boil for solely 1 minute. From there, it’s necessary to scale back the warmth and simply let the rice simmer for the remaining prepare dinner time.
- No Stirring: One other necessary factor to recollect is to not stir the rice as soon as it’s simmering. Simply depart the lid on, and let it end out its 20-minute prepare dinner time. It will preserve your rice from getting gummy and mushy.
- Examine for Doneness: Style a pair items of rice to test for doneness. In case your rice isn’t fairly cooked, pour half a cup of water over it, with out stirring. Change the lid, and proceed cooking over medium-low warmth for a further 10 minutes to let the rice take up the remainder of the water and steam.
Genuine Mexican rice goes with any Mexican meal, and with a whole lot of different issues, too – scrambled eggs, baked hen, steak bites, you identify it. I wish to serve it with one thing tacky or saucy, like certainly one of these simple dishes:
- Pico de Gallo Hen: A profitable combo of juicy hen breast, taco seasoning, recent pico, and cheese makes this simple Pico de Gallo Hen a household favourite. You’ve bought to strive it!
- Chile Rellenos: Also referred to as Rajas con Crema, Chile Rellenos are stuffed poblano peppers with hen and cheese, in an unbelievable creamy poblano sauce. This dish simply cries out for some good rice to go along with it, so strive making it alongside your do-it-yourself Mexican rice!
- Beans: A giant, warming pot of Charro Beans is the last word cold-weather dinner. You’ll love this daring and meaty dish, crammed with sausage, chorizo, tomatoes, spices, and tender beans. Or, swap it up and serve this rice with some Home made Refried Beans.
- Greens: How a few huge batch of Calabacitas (Mexican squash)? It pairs excellent with this Mexican rice! However when you aren’t feeling squash, this Mexican Road Corn Salad (Esquites) or Mexican Road Corn (Elote).
Methods to Retailer and Reheat Leftovers
Retailer your leftovers in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 7 days.
Reheat within the microwave, or in a coated skillet over medium-low warmth. You could wish to sprinkle a little bit of water or broth over the rice earlier than reheating.
Can I Freeze This?
Sure, you’ll be able to undoubtedly freeze Mexican rice! One of many best methods to do it’s to unfold out the rice on a tray or plate and stick it within the freezer till it’s good and chilly. Then switch to a freezer bag, mark with the date, and retailer in your freezer for as much as three months. Reheat immediately from frozen.
Prepare dinner Time
- 1/3 cup chopped white onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 Roma tomatoes, quartered
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 cups lengthy grain rice
- 1 carrot, diced (into the scale of peas)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups hen broth
- Add the onion, garlic, tomato, salt and water to a blender or meals processor. Mix until clean and put aside.
- Warmth the oil in a big saucepan with a lid over medium-high warmth. Add the rice and stir till it modifications from a translucent coloration to white.
- Pour the pureed combination over the new rice and prepare dinner for two to three minutes.
- Add the carrots, peas and broth and convey to a boil. Boil for 1 minute, however now not. Then place the lid on the pan and switch the warmth all the way down to a simmer (medium low). Prepare dinner for 20 minutes. (Don’t elevate the lid throughout this time.)
- Take away from the warmth and let rice sit coated for five minutes. Fluff rice with a fork earlier than serving.
- Retailer in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 7 days.
- Freeze in an hermetic container for as much as 3 months.
- You will need to depart the lid on and do NOT stir the rice after the primary minute of boiling. It will forestall your rice from getting gummy and mushy.
- Get your rice as much as a boil, then boil for only one minute. Scale back the rice to a simmer (medium low) and place the lid on the pan. Set a timer for 20 minutes so that you don’t over prepare dinner your rice.
- Style a pair items of rice to test for doneness. In case your rice isn’t fairly cooked, pour ½ cup water into the rice with out stirring, change the lid and proceed cooking over medium low warmth for a further 10 minutes.
- If you need additional taste in your rice, change the salt with tomato or hen bouillon.
- You may sub a cup of frozen greens as a substitute of the carrots and peas when you desire.
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 181Whole Fats: 10gSaturated Fats: 1gTrans Fats: 0gUnsaturated Fats: 9gLdl cholesterol: 2mgSodium: 680mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 3g
Extra Flavorful Rice Dishes
This publish could include affiliate hyperlinks. Learn my disclosure coverage.