My easy Sourdough Bread recipe is ideal for having fun with by itself or utilizing for sandwiches! I’ll be strolling you intimately via each step so you may discover ways to make excellent sourdough like a professional. Recipe features a how-to video!
The Finest Sourdough Bread Recipe
This selfmade sourdough bread is the solely bread we eat in my family anymore. Actually, I make 2-3 loaves per week and preserve a stockpile in my freezer always! And when you attempt it… effectively, I believe you’ll, too.
That’s as a result of there’s quite a bit to like about sourdough bread. Firstly, it has a excessive dietary worth and not one of the components (no added sugar, both) you’ll discover in most store-bought breads. It additionally tastes superb: basic, hearty bread (that’s not overly bitter) with a thick, crusty exterior and a gentle, springy inside.
However what I believe you’ll love most about my recipe is how splendidly versatile it’s. It’s preferrred each for dipping in soup, serving as a aspect with a salad, or utilizing as a sandwich; it additionally makes an superior grilled cheese that pairs fantastically with my tomato soup!
Selfmade Bread is Simpler Than You Assume!
Making sourdough bread at house is shockingly simple, particularly if you happen to use the sourdough starter I shared final week. It is time consuming and you will need to have persistence, however the work itself could be very approachable.
There’s no kneading concerned; as a substitute, we’ll use a simple course of referred to as stretching and folding, which develops the gluten very like kneading would, however is best suited to increased hydration dough like sourdough. There’s additionally no mixer or fancy tools wanted with my recipe — you don’t even want a banneton or a Dutch oven, only a pair of bread pans!
I’m so excited to share this one with you (and I’ve been teasing it lengthy sufficient on Instagram, haven’t I?!), so let’s get began.
What You Want
My sourdough bread recipe has excellent taste, particularly contemplating there are so few substances. You’ll need:
- Sourdough starter. This may be selfmade or store-bought. Clearly, I like to recommend making your personal through the use of my sourdough starter recipe (this does take over per week to arrange, however it’s value it!).
- Bread flour. I actually advocate bread flour over all objective for this recipe. Bread flour has the next protein content material and produces a better-crumbed sourdough bread, in my view.
- Olive oil. A little bit of olive oil helps make the bread completely chewy and gentle. I additionally discover it retains my sourdough softer longer.
- Salt. Salt is vital for taste (unsurprisingly) however it additionally performs another essential roles in sourdough bread. It helps stability the acidity from our starter, strengthens the gluten within the dough (essential for form and texture), and it even helps lengthen the shelf lifetime of the bread by appearing as a pure preservative.
- Water. The water referred to as for in my recipe will yield a sourdough loaf that’s about 53% hydration. I like this hydration degree; it produces a crumb that’s neither too dense nor too open, that’s not too bitter however remains to be flavorful, and that’s simple to form and very versatile — we use it for every thing from dipping in pot pie soup to consuming sandwiches. When you’re snug baking a bread at this hydration degree, you may experiment with growing the water if you happen to’d like. Extra water normally yields a bread with a extra open crumb, a extra tangy taste, and a crumb that’s much less appropriate for sandwiches however good for dipping.
I wrote this sourdough bread recipe with weights as a result of I discover it’s the best technique to make it (identical to with my macaron recipe); nevertheless, I’ve included cup measurements as effectively.
SAM’S TIP: Whereas some individuals prefer to bake their sourdough bread in a dutch oven, I like to make use of a pair of bread pans. It doesn’t look as rustic this fashion, however it’s far more sensible for my household to have a loaf of bread quite than a spherical of it. For those who’re crew Dutch oven, don’t fear–I present directions for the right way to make sourdough bread in a Dutch oven under.
Keep in mind, that is simply an summary of the substances I used and why. For the complete recipe please scroll all the way down to the underside of the publish!
Make Sourdough Bread
Make the Dough
- Mix sourdough starter, water, and oil in a big bowl. Be certain your starter is energetic and bubbly earlier than including it.
- Add the bread flour and salt.
- Stir till principally mixed (your dough will nonetheless look shaggy). Don’t over-mix!
- Cowl and let sit at room temperature for one hour.
Stretching & Folding
- Type your dough right into a ball utilizing your fingers, the run your fingers underneath cool water.
- Stretch the highest of the dough up and over the underside, then flip the dough 90 levels and repeat. I exhibit this within the video under if you happen to want a greater visible.
- Repeat the stretch and fold course of a complete of 4 occasions, then cowl and place in a heat place to rise for half-hour.
- Let your dough rise till elevated in dimension by 80%, repeating the stretch and fold course of each half-hour.
- Deflate and kind your dough into an oblong form on a flippantly floured floor.
- Elevate the best aspect of the dough, fold it over to the middle, then repeat with the left aspect (like folding a paper in thirds).
- Roll into a decent log beginning with the brief finish of the rectangle, then tuck the ends underneath.
- Place in a greased bread pan, cowl loosely, and place within the fridge to relaxation in a single day.
SAM’S TIP: I like to recommend proofing your dough within the fridge in a single day quite than baking instantly (I additionally present directions for baking instantly, although). Proofing in a single day will assist develop the flavour, assist the bread rise higher, and encourage extra fermentation. That being stated, I don’t prefer to let my dough sit within the fridge for longer than 48 hours (absolute max) earlier than baking. Letting it sit too lengthy could cause over-proofing and may compromise the ultimate texture of your sourdough bread. I additionally don’t freeze my dough earlier than baking, so I can’t advise on that.
- Let the dough relaxation at room temperature whereas your oven preheats.
- Rating the bread about ¼″ deep down the middle.
- Cowl with one other bread pan or an aluminum foil tent.
- Bake at 450F for half-hour, then take away the quilt and bake for 20-23 minutes or till the bread reaches 206-208F.
- Let the bread cool in its pan for quarter-hour.
- Take away the bread from the pan (rigorously, it’s nonetheless sizzling!) and place on a cooling rack. Let the bread cool utterly earlier than slicing.
SAM’S TIP: Don’t minimize into the bread whereas it’s nonetheless heat (I do know, so laborious, so tempting!). Doing this will make your loaf gummy and dense.
Ceaselessly Requested Questions
Sourdough is unquestionably one of many extra nutritious sorts of bread. It’s a prebiotic-rich meals made by fermenting dough with wild yeast and micro organism (sounds gross however in actuality is scrumptious) and is extra digestible than your normal white bread. It additionally has a decrease glycemic index and fewer gluten than regular bread.
Whereas a standard sourdough bread recipe is clearly not gluten free, sourdough bread is usually tolerated by people who find themselves gluten delicate (however not individuals with Celiac Illness). It’s because a few of the gluten is consumed in the course of the fermentation course of, which makes the bread extra simply digestible.
Comply with my recipe via the rolling and tucking step, then place in a flippantly floured banneton (I take advantage of my Kitchenaid mixer bowl lined with a flippantly floured kitchen towel, as a result of I don’t even have a banneton). Cowl and let rise in a single day within the fridge.
The following day, rigorously prove your dough onto a big piece of parchment paper and punctiliously decrease this right into a 4.5qt Dutch oven (a bigger one would work, however your bread can be flatter and can seemingly prepare dinner sooner). Permit the dough to take a seat uncovered whereas the oven preheats, then rating, cowl with a lid, and comply with recipe directions for baking.
I do know that there are a lot of sourdough bread recipes on the market and so many various methods to make it, however that is my private favourite model that I’ve rigorously developed over the previous 12 months. I can’t wait to listen to the way you prefer it, I hope you’ll all the time need to preserve a loaf in your home, too! ❤️
Take pleasure in!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe and video under! For those who do that recipe, make sure to tag me on Instagram, and it’s also possible to discover me on YouTube and Fb
Sourdough Bread Recipe
Servings: 1 loaf
Forestall your display from going darkish
In a big mixing bowl, mix sourdough starter, water, and olive oil. Stir till mixed.
⅔ cup energetic starter, 1 ⅓ cups heat, 1 ½ Tablesoons olive oil
Add bread flour and sprinkle salt overtop. Use your (clear) fingers or a wood spoon to stir collectively till dough is usually mixed. It should nonetheless be a bit shaggy and shouldn’t be cohesive (don’t over-mix) however no dry patches of flour ought to stay.
3 ⅔ cups bread flour, 2 teaspoons desk salt
Cowl bowl with plastic wrap and let sit undisturbed for one hour (that is the “autolyse” interval).
Stretch & Fold
Type dough right into a ball along with your fingers.
Run your fingers underneath cool water (prevents sticking!) and grasp the highest of the dough and stretch it over the underside. Flip the dough 90 levels and repeat. Flip 90 levels and repeat once more, then as soon as extra (4 whole stretch & folds).
Permit dough to relaxation, lined, in a heat place for half-hour.
Repeat step 2 above each half-hour as dough rises.
Permit dough to rise (stretching and folding each half-hour as indicated) till dough has elevated in dimension about 80% (how lengthy this takes depends upon the temperature of your kitchen, sometimes mine is prepared inside 4-6 hours).
Forming the Dough
Calmly grease a 9×5 loaf pan (with olive oil or butter) .
Oil for greasing pan
When dough has risen sufficiently, flip it out onto a clear, flippantly floured floor.
Extra flour for dusting work-surface
Use your fingers to softly deflate the dough and pat it into an oblong form. Elevate the best aspect of the dough and fold it into the middle (virtually as if you happen to have been closing a e-book). Then, raise the left aspect of the dough and fold it over the primary fold (use a bench scraper if the dough is sticking to your counter).
Beginning with a thin finish, tightly roll the dough, as if you happen to have been rolling up a cinnamon roll. Tuck the ends underneath and punctiliously switch to ready bread pan. Don’t fear if the bread doesn’t fill the pan proper now.
Cowl pan tightly with plastic wrap and switch to the fridge to relaxation in a single day/for 12-24 hours.
Take away sourdough from the fridge and preheat oven to 450F. Let oven preheat and dough relaxation (lined or uncovered) for not less than 30-35 minutes earlier than continuing.
As soon as oven has preheated, uncover bread, make a clear slice (about ¼” deep) down the middle with a pointy knife or bread lame (to attain it) then cowl with one other 9×5 pan (if you happen to don’t have a second pan, you could as a substitute make a makeshift oven utilizing aluminum foil; tent it as excessive because the bread pan is deep).
Switch to middle rack of preheated oven. Bake, lined, for half-hour then take away the lid and proceed to bake one other 20-23 minutes/till golden brown and the middle of bread reaches 206-208F (97C).
Permit bread to chill in pan for quarter-hour earlier than gently turning it out onto a cooling rack (cautious, the pan will nonetheless be sizzling!) to chill for not less than 1-2 hours (till it now not feels heat) earlier than slicing into it.
To bake the identical day:
Comply with recipe via step 4 underneath the “Forming the Dough” part. Instantly after transferring dough to pan, preheat oven to 450F (230C). Permit dough to relaxation uncovered whereas oven preheats, not less than half-hour. As soon as oven is preheated, comply with instructions in recipe beginning with step 2 underneath the “Baking” part. Notice that bread won’t be as flavorful or nutritious & texture won’t be as nice if it’s not allowed to take a seat within the fridge in a single day.
Storing & Freezing
Retailer in an hermetic container at room temperature for as much as per week.
You might also freeze this bread. Freeze the entire loaf by wrapping tightly in plastic wrap after which wrapping in foil. When able to thaw, preserve lined utterly and defrost at room temperature earlier than unwrapping.
We want to freeze pre-sliced: Lower bread into slices and storing in a plastic Ziploc bag (take away as a lot air as you may earlier than freezing). For those who battle with freezer burn or plan to freeze the bread longer than a number of weeks, you may individually wrap every slice in plastic wrap earlier than closing within the plastic bag.
Serving: 1loaf | Energy: 1820kcal | Carbohydrates: 364g | Protein: 59g | Fats: 10g | Saturated Fats: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 3g | Monounsaturated Fats: 2g | Sodium: 4678mg | Potassium: 459mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 9IU | Calcium: 81mg | Iron: 4mg
Dietary data relies on third-party calculations and ought to be thought of an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will differ primarily based upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking technique, portion sizes, and extra.