Make this Taco Rice recipe multi function skillet with savory floor beef, salsa, taco seasoning, and loads of cheese. This quick and straightforward dinner thought brings collectively your entire favourite Tex-Mex flavors in half-hour or much less.
If you happen to love this floor beef and rice recipe, you could give my Fiesta Hen Casserole a strive!
Tacky One-Pan Taco Rice Recipe
As we speak we’re turning easy white rice right into a zesty all-in-one meal, loaded with floor beef, onions, taco seasoning, salsa, and melted cheese. Taco rice is a fast and straightforward skillet dinner, and I like making it on weeknights or as a enjoyable twist on Mexican evening. Every part comes collectively on the stovetop in beneath half-hour, and we by no means run out of topping concepts.
If you happen to’ve by no means tried taco rice, put together to be hooked. This straightforward floor beef and rice recipe is beefy and tacky and jam-packed with Tex-Mex flavors. High your rice with avocado, bitter cream, and extra taco toppings. It’s my thought of consolation meals!
What Is Taco Rice?
Imagine it or not, the unique taco rice was invented in Japan. Okinawan taco rice consisted of seasoned floor beef, shredded cheese, salsa, and lettuce served over Japanese rice. A chef created taco rice at a restaurant on the island of Okinawa, and it grew to become well-liked with locals in addition to US army personnel stationed there.
Taco rice isn’t to be confused with Mexican rice. Mexican rice is a facet dish consisting of rice and typically veggies, cooked in broth and seasoned with taco seasoning. My recipe is principally a mixture of each dishes!
Elements You’ll Want
Only a few easy components are all you could make this flavorful Tex-Mex taco rice recipe. Under is a fast overview, with the complete ingredient quantities accessible within the recipe card beneath the publish.
- Yellow Onion: You’ll saute diced onion and garlic with a bit of additional virgin olive oil for aromatics.
- Floor Beef: I like to recommend utilizing lean floor beef (85-90%), however you may as well make this taco rice skillet with floor turkey or floor rooster. See additional down within the publish for extra variation concepts.
- Taco Seasoning: Select your favourite packet of taco seasoning from the grocery retailer, like Previous El Paso (or related).
- Rice: I like to make use of raw long-grain white rice or brown rice. I don’t advocate utilizing pre-cooked rice as it can develop into too mushy.
- Hen Broth: You’ll want low-sodium rooster or vegetable broth for simmering the rice. You can too use Do-it-yourself Hen Inventory if you happen to desire.
- Salsa: Use your most well-liked model of jarred salsa, both gentle or spicy, chunky or blended. That is the proper manner so as to add slightly warmth to your rice if you happen to’d like.
- Cheese and Cilantro: I exploit grated cheddar, together with cilantro, for topping and garnishing the completed rice.
Can I Use Minute Rice As a substitute?
Sure, simply remember that on the spot rice will cook dinner a lot sooner, so that you’ll want to regulate the cooking time accordingly.
Find out how to Make Taco Rice
I exploit my 9-inch nonstick skillet with a lid for this recipe, however you should utilize any sized skillet you’ve available, so long as it has a canopy. This taco-inspired meal comes collectively in 3 straightforward steps:
- Saute: Begin by sauteing the onion in a sizzling skillet with olive oil. As soon as softened, stir within the floor beef and break it up whereas it browns. Lastly, stir within the garlic.
- Mix: Subsequent, you’ll sprinkle within the taco seasoning, then add within the rice. Pour in your broth and salsa, and let the skillet come to a boil earlier than reducing the warmth. Cowl and simmer the rice, stirring often, till tender. The liquid also needs to be totally absorbed by now.
- End and Serve: Garnish your taco rice with a beneficiant sprinkle of cheese and cilantro, then cowl and let it soften. Afterward, serve topped with bitter cream, avocado, or any of your favourite taco toppings! See beneath for extra concepts and serving recommendations.
Ideas for Success
This taco rice is very easy, you actually can’t go unsuitable. Listed here are some last suggestions:
- Use lean floor meat. I like to recommend utilizing lean floor beef in order that the dish doesn’t come out too oily. If you happen to discover that there’s lots of grease within the skillet after your beef has browned, think about draining it earlier than going forward with the recipe.
- Make your individual taco seasoning. I like the comfort of packet seasoning, however if you happen to’d desire to make your individual, it’s straightforward sufficient to do! To make do-it-yourself taco seasoning, mix 1 teaspoon every of onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and dried oregano with 1 tablespoon every of floor cumin and smoked paprika.
Add-Ins and Variation Concepts
This taco rice skillet is scrumptious as it’s, however you may all the time change up the components to fit your household’s particular person tastes. There are such a lot of methods to make this Tex-Mex-style recipe, and it’s actually as much as you! Under are some easy variation concepts to strive.
- Completely different Protein: Attempt making this rice with floor turkey, floor rooster, shredded rooster, and even floor or pulled pork.
- Vegetarian: To make vegetarian taco rice, swap the rooster broth for vegetable broth and change the bottom beef with chickpeas, brown lentils, crumbled tofu, or your alternative of plant-based mince.
- Beans: Stir in canned black beans or pinto beans (keep in mind to empty them first).
- Veggies: Add in candy corn, diced bell peppers, shredded or diced carrots, or sliced jalapeños.
- Herbs and Spices: Be happy so as to add in further herbs, like basil or oregano. If you happen to’re after a little bit of kick, stir in chipotle powder, chili powder, cayenne pepper, or crushed purple pepper flakes together with the taco seasoning.
I usually serve this taco rice DIY-style, the identical as you’ll an precise taco! I fill the desk with straightforward taco toppings like diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, avocado, bitter cream, inexperienced onion, and tortilla strips, and let everybody have at it. And as a facet, no taco evening is full with out crispy corn chips dipped in Avocado Salsa or Cowboy Caviar.
This satisfying rice recipe can be nice to serve with Fluffy Bitter Cream Cornbread and a Southwestern Cobb Salad. Or, we’ll pair it with Bitter Cream Hen Enchiladas and a facet of Instantaneous Pot Corn on the Cob for a hearty Mexican-inspired meal.
Storing and Reheating Leftovers
Retailer any leftover taco rice hermetic within the fridge for as much as 3 days. Reheat parts within the microwave or in a skillet on the stovetop till warmed by.
Can I Freeze Taco Rice?
Sure! I like to recommend freezing the rice earlier than including the cheese. Retailer the cooled rice in an hermetic container and freeze it for as much as 1 month. Defrost the taco rice within the fridge earlier than reheating, topping it with melted cheese, and serving.
This Taco Rice recipe is a simple one-pan dinner that mixes all of your favourite Tex-Mex components, together with floor beef, taco seasoning, salsa, and loads of cheese.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 pound lean floor beef
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (1-ounce) package deal taco seasoning
- 1 cup lengthy grain white rice, raw
- 2 1/2 cups rooster broth
- 1 1/4 cups salsa
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- Optionally available toppings: diced tomatoes, avocado, bitter cream, inexperienced onion, tortilla strips
- Warmth the olive oil in a skillet (*see be aware) over medium warmth. Add within the diced onion and cook dinner till softened.
- Add within the floor beef and proceed cooking till browned. Add within the garlic and cook dinner for 1 extra minute.
- Stir within the taco seasoning, rice, broth, and salsa. Deliver the combination as much as a boil after which cowl and scale back warmth to low. Cook dinner for 15 – 20 minutes, or till the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender, stirring often so rice doesn’t stick.
- Sprinkle within the cheese and cilantro and stir to mix. Take away the skillet from the warmth, cowl and let sit for two minutes for the cheese to soften. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve instantly with desired toppings.
- *I like to make use of a 9- inch nonstick skillet for this recipe, however be certain that your skillet has a lid.
- Retailer hermetic within the fridge for as much as 3 days.
Key phrases: skillet meals, straightforward floor beef recipes, tex-mex recipes
Need To Save This Recipe?
Discover extra recipes like this:
Extra Tex-Mex Dinner Concepts to Attempt
PIN for later: