Produced from simply 5 substances, this salted caramel frosting is fudge-like, wealthy, and buttery. It’s every thing you like in regards to the taste of selfmade salted caramel—in frosting kind! Take pleasure in it piped onto apple cupcakes, unfold over banana cake, or sandwiched between two butter pecan cookies. Comply with my step-by-step directions, success ideas, and video tutorial for greatest outcomes.
Creamy and fudge-like, with an irresistible salty-sweet-buttery taste, that is the frosting that each one desserts are begging for. (I’m fairly certain all desserts would style epic below a blanket of these things.)
Not the Quickest Frosting, However Actually the Tastiest
If you wish to do this frosting, be warned that it’s not an easy, fast course of. Now that I’m scaring you away, let me again up and clarify.
There are two major steps on this recipe: (1) Prepare dinner a brown sugar caramel on the range, after which let it cool for 20 minutes. (2) Beat in sifted confectioners’ sugar and a little bit heavy cream or milk to skinny out.
You need to use the frosting straight away, however it will likely be fairly runny—pourable consistency, actually. Or should you wait at the very least 20–half-hour, the frosting will likely be thick sufficient to pipe.
So excellent on banana cake.
5 Components for Salted Caramel Frosting
- Butter: That is the bottom of the frosting, and utilizing actual butter on this recipe (not margarine or plant-based) is essential for each taste and texture.
- Brown Sugar: You need to use gentle or darkish brown sugar, or a mixture of each. (I often do half and half.) Make certain your brown sugar is recent—it ought to really feel mushy and moist, not onerous or clumpy. If utilizing all gentle brown sugar, your frosting will likely be lighter in coloration than these images.
- Heavy Cream/Milk, Divided: Heavy cream works greatest on this recipe, however you need to use entire milk or half-and-half if that’s what you’ve got as a substitute. Nothing lighter or the caramel and/or frosting will separate. I have no idea any nondairy options that work efficiently. When you’re making a visit to the shop, I strongly encourage you to make use of heavy cream.
- Salt: Clearly important to make this salted caramel frosting. I like to recommend common desk salt.
- Confectioners’ Sugar: Make certain to sift the confectioners’ sugar or else your frosting may have lumps. I exploit a positive mesh sieve and sift it instantly into the marginally cooled salted caramel.
Recipe Testing for Constant Success
As we speak’s recipe has been printed on my website for a few years now, however I’ve been wanting to remodel the directions, as some readers had been reporting issue. It’s extremely essential to me that the recipes I share are straightforward to comply with AND work efficiently. And this specific frosting recipe was proving to be a bit… temperamental.
My assistant and I started retesting the unique recipe. Frustratingly, the batches stored yielding totally different outcomes. Then we started altering small variables. One batch was too onerous, one other too grainy. Why?
- First, we examined utilizing chilly butter vs. room temperature butter.
- After which we examined utilizing entire milk as a substitute of cream.
- Then we modified the pan.
- After which it was darkish brown or gentle brown sugar.
But it surely wasn’t the temperature of the butter. And it doesn’t actually matter should you use milk or cream (I do favor cream, however the frosting nonetheless works with entire milk). And the pan didn’t make a noticeable distinction, similar with utilizing gentle vs. brown sugar. The issue was merely that we had been overcooking it!
Keep away from This!
The next image reveals the over-cooked, grainy caramel combination:
A Sweet Thermometer Guarantees the Greatest Outcomes
The recipe used to name for boiling the caramel sauce for 3 minutes, which is definitely too lengthy for my range. (And the above picture reveals that.) The caramel ought to boil solely till it reaches a temperature of 230°F (110°C), after which needs to be faraway from the warmth. On my range, it takes slightly below 2 minutes, which is a fairly large distinction.
A sweet thermometer guarantees extra constant outcomes. Your frosting will now not be grainy and your caramel will now not be over- or under-cooked.
Left picture under: The caramel is skinny and easy proper off the range. What a distinction from the picture above! Proper picture under: Right here is the caramel after cooling for 20 minutes.
Now sift in your confectioners’ sugar and beat in additional heavy cream/milk:
At this level, you need to use the skinny frosting, or wait 20–half-hour for it to thicken right into a pipeable consistency. The longer it sits, the thicker it will get:
And ensure NOT to over-mix the frosting after it’s performed. As a result of it should start to separate:
That was lots of data for you! Right here is every thing damaged down:
6 Success Suggestions for the Greatest Salted Caramel Frosting
- Make certain your stovetop is about to medium warmth, or barely decrease in case your range runs sizzling.
- Whisk the butter and brown sugar collectively FIRST—and ensure the 2 are actually mixed. You can begin combining the 2 with a rubber spatula, however swap to a whisk (I at all times use a silicone whisk so I don’t scratch my pans) when the butter is sort of all melted, to ensure the butter and sugar are actually mixed. In any other case, you would possibly see an oily layer across the edges the place they’re nonetheless a bit separated. As soon as they’re mixed, add the cream and salt.
- Use a sweet thermometer for greatest outcomes. The time it takes to succeed in 230°F (110°C) could take kind of than 2 minutes, relying in your specific range and saucepan.
- Let the ready frosting sit for 20–half-hour to thicken if you wish to pipe it. It’s going to crust a bit because it sits, which is okay—merely give it a stir once you’re prepared to make use of it.
- Don’t over-mix the frosting as a result of it should start to separate. After beating within the sifted confectioners’ sugar and cream, use it straight away or depart it alone to thicken.
- If frosting sits for a pair hours, it turns into too onerous to unfold or pipe. If that occurs, scoop it right into a heatproof bowl and set it over a pan of simmering water on the range. Warmth and stir till it thins out. (Or use a double boiler.)
Greatest Piping Tip to Use
One of the best piping tip for this frosting is a spherical tip equivalent to Wilton 2A or Wilton #12. When you pipe this salted caramel frosting with star ideas, it won’t maintain its form as properly, as a result of this frosting is creamy and thinner than buttercream. So I counsel a easy spherical tip.
End your dessert with a drizzle of salted caramel, the sauce model of at present’s recipe. As a result of every thing is best with additional salted caramel.
I promise you’ll by no means run out of excuses to make this salted caramel frosting! Strive it on these recipes:
- Make the caramel: Mix the butter and brown sugar in a saucepan over medium warmth. With a rubber spatula or wood spoon, stir continuously because the butter melts. As soon as butter has melted, swap to a whisk to ensure the 2 are actually mixed. (In any other case, you would possibly see an oily layer across the edges the place they’re nonetheless a bit separated; you do not need that.)
- As soon as melted butter and brown sugar are mixed, add 3 Tablespoons of heavy cream and the salt. Whisk to mix, then cease whisking and fix a sweet thermometer to your pan, ensuring the bulb is just not touching the underside of the pan (as you’ll get an inaccurate studying).
- Let the caramel boil, giving it a fast whisk each 30 seconds or so, till the temperature reaches 230°F (110°C). On my range, it takes slightly below 2 minutes.
- Take away the saucepan from warmth, give it one other fast whisk, and let cool for a minute. Fastidiously switch the salted caramel to a heat-proof mixing bowl set on a cooling rack and funky for simply 20 minutes earlier than persevering with. The caramel sauce thickens throughout this time.
- End the frosting: Sift in confectioners’ sugar and add remaining 2 Tablespoons of heavy cream. With a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat on medium-low pace till the substances are integrated. Flip mixer as much as excessive pace and beat for 1 minute. If frosting may be very thick, beat in 1 extra Tablespoon of heavy cream. Keep away from over-mixing or the frosting will start to “break” and separate.
- Use it straight away as a skinny glaze or icing, or let it sit and thicken. It’s going to crust a bit because it sits, which is okay—merely give it a stir once you’re prepared to make use of it. If you wish to pipe this frosting, let it sit for at the very least 20–half-hour earlier than filling your piping bag, to offer it an opportunity to thicken as much as a pipeable consistency.
- Frost cake or cupcakes and garnish with a drizzle of salted caramel sauce, if desired.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): Sweet Thermometer | Handheld or Stand Mixer | Silicone Whisk | Glass Mixing Bowls | Piping Bag | Wilton 2A or Wilton #12 piping tip
- Amount: This recipe is sufficient to frost 12–16 cupcakes or one 9×13-quarter sheet cake. 1.5x the recipe for extra cupcakes or a double layer cake. (Doubling the recipe could be far an excessive amount of.)
- Heavy Cream: Heavy cream or heavy whipping cream works greatest on this recipe, however you need to use entire milk or half-and-half if that’s what you’ve got as a substitute. Nothing lighter or the caramel and/or frosting will separate. I have no idea any nondairy options that work efficiently. I strongly encourage you to make use of heavy cream.
- Piping Tip: One of the best piping tip for this frosting is a spherical tip equivalent to Wilton 2A or Wilton #12. When you pipe this salted caramel frosting with star ideas, it won’t maintain its form as properly, as a result of the frosting is creamy and thinner than buttercream. So I like to recommend a easy spherical tip.
Key phrases: salted caramel frosting
Baking Made Simple
Are you new to this web site? This e-mail collection is a superb place to start out. I’ll stroll you thru a couple of of my hottest recipes and present you precisely why they work.