Diving into cooler seasons with this tremendous easy roasted butternut squash recipe. Learn to dice, roast and season this pretty dish. This roasted cubed butternut squash is a staple in my household meals when squash is contemporary and prepared on the farmer’s market, and I am unable to wait to share it with you.
I do know many individuals consider pumpkin when speaking about seasonal squash. But butternut squash is a heat, usually inexpensive option to get pleasure from buttery, barely candy seasonal produce and is slightly simpler to handle. You may roast it complete, halved or cubed. I like cubed one of the best because it ensures that every piece is crispy and seasoned to perfection.
Roasted Squash Components
I like a easy aspect dish that basically highlights the pure taste of the vegetable, and I positively want one thing straightforward if I am utilizing this for a vacation gathering. Here is what I exploit in roasted cubed butternut squash.
- Butternut Squash: I like getting these in my produce field or grabbing one at an area market. When they’re in season, they’re a terrific, cheap squash choice!
- Avocado Oil: I like utilizing avocado oil as a substitute of olive oil on this recipe as it will probably face up to a better heating temperature with out burning. Be happy to make use of the oil of your selection.
- Salt and Pepper: Begin with only a mild seasoning of every and let your visitors add extra if wanted.
- Contemporary Herbs: Contemporary herbs completely outshine dried, and Rosemary, Thyme and Sage are ones I like to showcase with squash.
- Garlic Cloves: Minced garlic will roast properly together with the squash, serving to carry a daring heat to the slight sweetness of the principle ingredient.
Various Taste Combos
One wonderful thing about this roasted butternut squash recipe is it is versatility. Whether or not you need candy or savory, my base recipe will accommodate any taste choice.
Candy Squash: Begin with cubed butternut squash and blend nicely with melted coconut oil, maple syrup and cinnamon. Unfold evenly in a pan and bake at 400°F for quarter-hour. Fastidiously take away pan and high with pecans and marshmallows and switch to broil for 2-3 minutes, watching carefully in order that the highest browns as a substitute of burns.
Spicy Squash: Dice butternut squash then combine nicely with avocado oil, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Bake as directed under then fastidiously take away from oven and stir. Return to oven to broil for 3-5 minutes for crispy cubes. Use in tacos with coleslaw, or serve with tortilla chips and black beans.
Learn how to Make Roasted Cubed Butternut Squash
I averted butternut squash as a result of I wasn’t positive prep or cook dinner it. Then I had it at a restaurant one Autumn and I used to be HOOKED. It is barely candy, heat and buttery, and can be utilized in quite a lot of dishes. So I shortly realized correctly put together it to get pleasure from each time it is in season. See the Prep Ideas part for step-by-step directions (and photographs!) of peel + dice this distinctive plant, and skim on for roast it to perfection.
- Peel and dice the butternut squash. Chop the contemporary herbs and mince the garlic cloves.
- In a big bowl, mix the cubed squash, avocado oil and all seasonings. Toss nicely to coat evenly. The most effective roasted cubed butternut squash has a fair coating of oil, so do not simply shortly toss and be executed! Actually be certain that all of the cubes are evenly coated for max taste and ease of roasting.
- Preheat the oven to 400° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. This retains the squash from sticking to the underside of your pan. You can too line your baking sheet with a silicone baking mat, but I might additionally enhance the baking temp to 415° or 425° F to accommodate the thicker sheet. Roast the squash for 15-20 minutes. You need the cubes to be fork tender and even barely browned on the skin.
In the event you’re on the lookout for tremendous crispy cubes then as soon as they’re fully baked, swap your oven to broil and broil for 3-5 minutes to caramelize the butternut squash. Watch carefully to keep away from burning the squash!
As soon as the cubed squash is totally roasted, take away from oven and high with contemporary parsley. You may serve heat, room temp, and even chilly, relying your choice. This reheats properly within the toaster oven, or works nice as chilly leftovers.
Since my roasted butternut squash recipe wants peeled and cubed, let’s dive into one of the best ways to perform this. I do not know in the event you’ve ever peeled a butternut squash, however once I do, my fingers blister. It is known as contact dermatitis and whereas it would not have an effect on everybody, I like to recommend getting sporting some gloves when you deal with uncooked butternut squash to keep away from any irritation.
Now that we’re correctly lined, let’s get prepping!
- Use a vegetable peeler and peel the entire butternut squash lengthwise.
- As soon as peeled, use a big knife and punctiliously reduce off the highest of the squash in addition to the bulbous half. Reduce the bulbous half in half and scoop out the seeds and any stringy bits.
- Reduce the lengthy neck portion in half, then proceed to dice the entire squash (each the neck and the bulbous parts).
As soon as that is full then you’ll be able to transfer on to chopping up the contemporary herbs + garlic cloves.
Butternut Squash FAQs
I roast my cubed squash at 400° F for 15-20 minutes. If I need to maintain the cubes softer, I then take away from the oven. If I would like crispy squash I’ll gently fire up the cubes, then return to oven and broil for 3-5 minutes to caramelize the perimeters.
If you’re cubing you squash then sure! Peel, take away the seeds and cube the squash earlier than baking. If you’re pureeing the squash or need it tender, then you’ll be able to roast just by slicing the squash in half lengthwise, then scooping out the seeds. As soon as baked you’ll be able to scoop the flesh out of the pores and skin.
I begin by peeling the entire squash. As soon as peeled, I exploit a big slicing board and a big knife to fastidiously reduce the squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds from the bulbous half, then reduce every half into sections to dice.
Roasted Butternut Squash
Charge this Recipe
Get pleasure from this gorgeously easy, aspect dish by cubing and roasting butternut squash in a number of straightforward steps. You need to use this recipe to get pleasure from softened or crispy squash, your selection! It is a nice aspect dish for the cooler months and works nicely for the vacations, too.
- 2 lb butternut squash (1 complete squash)
- 2 tablespoon avocado oil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper (floor)
- 1 tablespoon rosemary (contemporary, finely minced)
- 1 tablespoon thyme (contemporary, leaves)
- 1 tablespoon sage (contemporary, finely minced)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
Preheat oven to 400° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Peel butternut squash. On a big, flat slicing board, reduce the butternut squash in half, lengthwise. Take away the seeds from the bulbous half.
Reduce the butternut squash halves into 1 inch cubes.
Toss the cubes with avocado oil and all seasonings. Unfold out evenly on ready baking sheet and Roast 15-20 minutes or till the items are fork tender.
For crispier butternut squash cubes: Fastidiously take away baking sheet from oven and stir the cubes. Return to oven and broil 3-5 minutes to caramelize the perimeters. Watch carefully so the cubes do not burn.
- To show this right into a candy butternut squash recipe, omit the seasonings + oil listed above and as a substitute use: 2 tablespoon melted coconut oil, 2 tablespoon maple syrup and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Roast as directed. As soon as executed, high evenly with marshmallows and pecans then broil 3-5 minutes till marshmallows are melted.
- You can too make a balsamic glaze to go over high of the roasted squash: mix 1 cup balsamic vinegar with ¼ cup honey in a saucepan. Convey to a boil then decrease warmth to simmer. Proceed cooking, stirring sometimes, till the vinegar thickens and turns into syrupy. Switch to a jar and refrigerate till prepared to make use of.
Energy: 182kcal (9%) Carbohydrates: 28g (9%) Protein: 3g (6%) Fats: 8g (12%) Saturated Fats: 1g (6%) Polyunsaturated Fats: 1g Monounsaturated Fats: 5g Trans Fats: 0.01g Ldl cholesterol: 3mg (1%) Sodium: 179mg (8%) Potassium: 834mg (24%) Fiber: 5g (21%) Sugar: 5g (6%) Vitamin A: 24211IU (484%) Vitamin C: 51mg (62%) Calcium: 127mg (13%) Iron: 2mg (11%)
Extra Pleasant Facet Dishes
As the vacation season approaches, you is likely to be on the lookout for some contemporary recipe inspo. I am right here to assist! Listed here are a number of of my fav aspect dishes for the season: