My mushy, spiced, melt-in-your-mouth pumpkin cake recipe takes simply 20 minutes to prep earlier than baking. Prime it with a easy cream cheese frosting, and also you’ve obtained your self a seasonal showstopper! Recipe features a how-to video!
Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
This pumpkin cake relies off of my well-liked pumpkin cupcake recipe, with just some tweaks to make it appropriate as a layer cake. It’s good for fall birthdays, Halloween events, and naturally, Thanksgiving (have you ever deliberate your menu but?!). Everybody will love how candy (however a balanced, not overpowering candy), mushy, and moist this recipe is!
I selected to frost mine with cream cheese frosting (I don’t find out about you, however to me, the 2 are inseparable), however another good choices embrace Swiss meringue buttercream, vanilla frosting, and even brown butter frosting. Whereas I’m often a frosting fanatic, I feel a skinny layer right here pairs completely with this richly flavored cake (and it seems so fairly this fashion too!).
You’re simply an hour away from a slice of candy, spiced goodness… let’s get began!
What You Want
There’s fairly a couple of elements up there, so I’ll spotlight the vital ones:
- Unsalted butter. I go for unsalted butter in order that I’ve 100% management of the salt taste on this recipe. If you happen to solely have salted butter readily available, see my submit on substituting salted for unsalted butter.
- Pumpkin puree. Use plain, 100% pumpkin puree. Pumpkin pie filling seems very related and is offered in the identical part of the grocery retailer, but it surely consists of spices and components that we don’t need in our pumpkin cake. I’m beginning to sound like a management freak, however we wish to have full management over the spice and sweetness of our cake, not depend on no matter Libby occurred so as to add to that may!
- Cream cheese. Use brick-style, full-fat cream cheese to your frosting.
- Powdered sugar. It’s possible you’ll discover this recipe has rather less sugar than my conventional cream cheese frosting; this makes the frosting a bit silkier, which I like right here. You possibly can differ the quantity of sugar you employ based mostly on whether or not your frosting must be thinner (good for sheet muffins) or thicker (finest for layer muffins). If you happen to’re searching for an excellent thinner/softer frosting, you possibly can cut back the sugar to 2.5 cups.
- Vanilla. A little bit of vanilla extract flavors our frosting properly. To be trustworthy, I actually love to make use of a scraped vanilla bean on this recipe, however they’re simply SO costly proper now, so extract it’s!
SAM’S TIP: Utilizing butter and oil makes this pumpkin cake each flavorful and moist. I don’t advocate substituting one for extra of the opposite–you want each for the right stability!
Bear in mind, that is simply an summary of the elements I used and why. For the total recipe please scroll all the way down to the underside of the submit!
How one can Make Pumpkin Cake
- Cream collectively the butter and sugars till mild and fluffy, then stir within the oil and add the pumpkin.
- Add the eggs one after the other, then stir within the vanilla and milk.
- Mix the dry elements in a separate bowl, then regularly add them to the moist elements.
- Divide the batter between two greased, floured, and lined pans. Bake for 35-45 minutes.
- Let the muffins cool of their pans for 10 minutes earlier than inverting to a cooling rack.
- Stage the fully cooled muffins and set them apart.
- Put together the frosting.
- Unfold frosting on the primary cake layer, high with the second layer, and frost as desired.
SAM’S TIP: As soon as you might be prepared to mix the moist and dry elements, swap over to a spatula. Utilizing a mixer for this half might trigger your pumpkin cake to turn into too dense or dry.
Regularly Requested Questions
I baked my pumpkin cake in two 8″ pans as a result of I like my muffins a bit taller, however three 8″ pans, two 9″ pans, or a 9×13″ pan would additionally work. I’d advocate making my pumpkin bundt cake or pumpkin cupcakes as a substitute for those who’re searching for both of these.
If you happen to’re comfy with leaving it out (I’m, personally), you possibly can retailer your pumpkin cake in an hermetic container at room temperature for as much as 48 hours. In any other case, you’ll wish to preserve it refrigerated in an hermetic container and revel in inside 5 days.
This pumpkin cake formally wraps up my pumpkin recipes for this 12 months. I hope you loved all of them 🧡
Take pleasure in!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe and video under! If you happen to do this recipe, remember to tag me on Instagram, and you can even discover me on YouTube and Fb
Pumpkin Layer Cake
Servings: 12 slices
Forestall your display screen from going darkish
Preheat oven to 350F (175C) and put together 2 8″ cake pans by flippantly greasing and flouring the perimeters and lining the underside with parchment paper. Put aside.
Mix butter and sugars within the bowl of a stand mixer (or in a big bowl and use an electrical mixer). Beat till well-combined and lightweight and fluffy.
Add oil and beat to mix.
Stir in pumpkin.
Add eggs one after the other, stirring nicely after every addition.
Stir in milk and vanilla extract. Scrape down the perimeters and backside of the bowl to make sure elements are evenly mixed.
In a separate, medium-sized bowl, whisk collectively dry elements (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pumpkin spice, and cinnamon).
Progressively add dry elements to moist, stirring till fully mixed (remember to scrape down the perimeters and backside of the bowl). I desire to do that with a spatula to keep away from over-mixing the batter.
Divide batter evenly into ready cake pans and bake on 350F (175C) for 40-45 minutes, or till facilities spring again to the contact and a toothpick inserted within the heart comes out with few moist crumbs or clear.
Enable muffins to chill for 10 minutes after which invert onto cooling rack and permit to chill fully earlier than frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting**
In a big bowl, mix butter, cream cheese, vanilla extract and salt and beat till clean, creamy, and well-combined.
Progressively add powdered sugar to combination till well-combined, clean, and lightweight.
As soon as muffins have cooled, ice/assemble muffins by first leveling the muffins (I linked th the leveler I used within the “gear” part above), generously icing between layers, making use of an excellent layer on the highest of the cake, after which making use of a scant, semi-naked layer across the outdoors of the cake.
That is barely multiple 15oz can of pumpkin puree. Just be sure you purchase “100% pumpkin” and never “pumpkin pie filling”
Baking in numerous sized pans:
Baking occasions will differ in numerous pans, however the next are finest estimates. Please at all times control your cake and use the toothpick check (a toothpick inserted within the heart of the cake ought to come out clear or with a couple of moist crumbs) to check if a cake is finished.
13×9 pan: Begin checking cake at 35 minutes. If utilizing a glass pan, the cake will take longer to bake.
9″ pans: 35-40 minutes.
You may additionally bake this cake in three 8″ or 9″ pans, the baking time will likely be diminished, anticipate roughly 28-35 minutes.
Bundt pan: Readers have reported this cake baking in roughly 45 minutes in a bundt pan.
Cupcakes: Please see my pumpkin cupcake recipe, as a substitute.
Retailer in an hermetic container at room temperature for a number of hours or lined within the fridge for as much as 5 days.
Serving: 1slice | Energy: 697kcal | Carbohydrates: 76g | Protein: 7g | Fats: 42g | Saturated Fats: 20g | Trans Fats: 1g | Ldl cholesterol: 147mg | Sodium: 612mg | Potassium: 246mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 53g | Vitamin A: 7446IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 92mg | Iron: 2mg
Dietary data relies on third-party calculations and ought to be thought-about an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will differ based mostly upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking methodology, portion sizes, and extra.
Be aware: I initially shared this recipe in 2017. I’ve added new images and a video and have up to date the textual content, however the recipe stays the identical!