Previous Usual Iced Oatmeal Cookies are a homespun favourite, with a chewy, crunchy texture. Made with healthful components and topped with candy icing, these simple cookies are too good to withstand!
These are the final word lazy baker’s cookies! Primarily based on a handwritten recipe from my Granny’s cookbooks, these are no-fuss, traditional oatmeal cookies made with pantry fundamentals. Even the easy icing has solely two components!
That being stated, this simple oatmeal cookie recipe doesn’t skimp on texture or taste. These quaint oatmeal cookies are all about texture; not too gentle, not too crunchy, with simply the correct quantity of irresistible chew.
I like to make a batch of those through the week to take pleasure in as a fast and simple candy dessert or snack. They’re excellent with a cup of espresso, a glass of ice-cold milk, or some candy apple cider. Yum.
What You’ll Want
Right here’s the record of components you’ll want to realize the right oatmeal cookie:
For the Cookies
- Previous Usual Oats: Quaint or rolled oats are one of the best oats for oatmeal cookies. They bake into one of the best hearty texture!
- Butter: Unsalted is greatest. It ought to be melted. I do that within the microwave, melting it in brief bursts of about 10 seconds and stirring after every burst. You would additionally soften it over low warmth on the stovetop.
- Sugar: I take advantage of each gentle brown sugar and granulated sugar; the mix makes for an exceptionally good, barely chewy cookie!
- Spices: Freshly floor cinnamon and nutmeg for simply the appropriate trace of heat spice.
- Eggs: I’ve discovered 2 entire giant eggs outcome within the best-textured cookies.
- Flour: Plain all-purpose flour works completely on this recipe.
- Baking Powder and Baking Soda: Utilizing each collectively offers the cookies a raise, in order that they aren’t onerous or heavy.
- Salt: To deliver out the flavour within the oats and spices.
For the Icing
Can I Use Fast Oats As an alternative?
Technically, fast oats will work for this recipe in a pinch. Nonetheless, since fast oats cook dinner sooner than rolled oats, the dimensions and texture of the cookies shall be much less constant. For that reason, and for the sake of a superbly chewy cookie, I wouldn’t advocate it.
Making these cookies is virtually a cakewalk! Or a cookie stroll? Both means, it’s extraordinarily simple, which is nice for a busy cook dinner. Right here’s the method, step-by-step.
Combine the Dry Substances: To start, coarsely grind the oats utilizing a meals processor. Mix the oatmeal with the remainder of the dry components: flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Set this combination apart for now.
Mix the Moist Substances: Cream collectively the melted butter and each sugars, after which beat in your eggs one after the other.
Put together the Dough: Stir the moist and dry mixtures collectively, till every little thing is well-combined. Drop the dough by heaping tablespoons onto buttered cookie sheets, leaving somewhat house between every spoonful of dough.
Bake: Bake the quaint oatmeal cookies till they’re golden-brown, about quarter-hour. Allow them to relaxation on the baking sheets for a couple of minutes, after which switch them to a wire rack to chill (a steel spatula is useful for this).
Ice the Cookies: To make the icing, simply whisk collectively the powdered sugar and milk till clean. Generously high every cookie, and permit the frosting to set fully.
Take pleasure in! Serve instantly, or retailer for an additional time.
Suggestions and Tips
Even a fast and simple recipe like this has its quirks, so you should definitely take a look at these useful suggestions for making the right oatmeal cookies. Right here we go:
- Butter the Baking Sheet: To encourage the cookies to unfold as they bake, don’t neglect to butter your cookie sheet!
- Measure the Flour Accurately: An excessive amount of flour is one purpose you’ll find yourself with overly cakey cookies. To keep away from this, spoon the flour right into a measuring cup after which degree it off utilizing a knife.
- Go for Thick Icing: The straightforward icing on this recipe ought to be considerably thick, so that it’s going to arrange agency. If it’s too runny, it gained’t set very properly. So you’ll be able to undoubtedly add a bit extra powdered sugar if it seems to be watered down!
Such an ideal, easy oatmeal cookie is one of the best base for add-ins and creativeness. Kick the autumn flavors up a notch with a candy Maple Icing or spiced Cinnamon Glaze. It’s also possible to combine issues up by including some candy mix-ins to your dough:
- Chocolate chips
- Dried cranberries
- Toffee bits
- Crushed nuts (macadamias, pecans, peanuts, almonds)
Oatmeal cookies which are saved correctly will preserve for as much as 2 weeks at room temperature. As soon as the frosting on the cookies has hardened, retailer the cookies in an hermetic container or resealable ziplock bag, away from daylight.
Can I Freeze These?
You’ll be able to freeze these oatmeal cookies for as much as 3 months, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap or saved in an hermetic freezer bag or container. Thaw at room temperature earlier than serving.
Yield: 18 giant cookies
Previous Usual Iced Oatmeal Cookies are equal components crunchy and chewy. Topped with candy icing, these simple oatmeal cookies are too good to withstand!
Cook dinner Time
For the Cookies:
- 2 cups quaint oats
- 2 cups all function flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon freshly floor nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed gentle brown sugar
- 2 giant eggs
For the Icing:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 5 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F and butter two cookie sheets. Put aside.
- In a meals processor, pulse oats a couple of occasions till partly floor. You don’t desire a fantastic powder, you desire a coarse meal. Add within the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Pulse 2 to three occasions simply to mix and put aside.
- In a big bowl, beat collectively the melted butter, sugar and brown sugar. Add eggs, one after the other. Combine within the dry oat combination, stirring till totally mixed.
- Drop dough by (heaping) rounded tablespoons onto ready cookie sheets. Bake for 14-16 minutes, rotating midway by, till browned. Let cookies relaxation on the baking sheets for five minutes earlier than transferring to a wire rack to chill fully.
- As soon as cookies are fully cooled, whisk collectively the powdered sugar and milk till clean. Generously frost every cookie and permit the glaze to harden fully earlier than storing. Retailer in an hermetic container for as much as per week.
Recipe Notice: Butter your cookie sheet to encourage spreading.
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 212Whole Fats: 2gSaturated Fats: 1gTrans Fats: 0gUnsaturated Fats: 1gLdl cholesterol: 23mgSodium: 286mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 1gSugar: 28gProtein: 4g
This submit might comprise affiliate hyperlinks. Learn my disclosure coverage.