This web site might include affiliate hyperlinks and promoting in order that we will present recipes to you. Learn my privateness coverage.
This onion gravy is hands-down the BEST! It’s wealthy, savory and stuffed with candy, caramelized onions that basically take it to the subsequent stage.
Onion gravy is severely a game-changer with regards to including taste to your favourite hearty dishes. Attempt it on some mashed potatoes or over salisbury steaks! It’s so scrumptious, you’ll wish to lick your plate.
Caramelized Onion Gravy Recipe
I by no means thought that I’d love onion gravy as a lot as I do. Now that I’ve tried it, I don’t assume I can return to common gravy. The caramelized onions add essentially the most wonderful taste and texture! They’re good and savory but in addition add a contact of sweetness to the gravy.
Apart from the caramelized onions, this gravy is made with beef broth, Dijon mustard, and Worcestershire sauce for a wealthy and savory style with a touch of tang. It’s so good, you’re going to wish to put it on all the things. Rooster fried steaks, pork chops, meatloaf, bangers and mash, you identify it! Onion gravy is a must-add to any hearty meat dish. Right here’s all the things it is advisable whip it up:
Substances for Onion Gravy
Onion gravy is nice as a result of it makes use of quite a lot of easy elements. This gravy is your personal, be happy to go away out something you don’t like, or alter the seasonings and sauces to style! (Take a look at my suggestions part under for variations.) Notice: measurements that I used can all be discovered within the recipe card under.
- Giant Yellow Onions: These are the bottom of our gravy. When cooked, they launch their pure sweetness and develop into completely caramelized.
- Butter: Used to prepare dinner the onions in. Butter additionally provides an total richness to the gravy.
- Honey: Honey enhances the pure sweetness of the onions and provides some refined taste. Another substitutes you should utilize are maple syrup or brown sugar.
- All-Objective Flour: We’d like one thing to thicken our gravy, and flour does the trick! It additionally helps to offer the sauce a clean consistency.
- Beef Broth: Beef broth provides depth and meatiness to the gravy.
- Garlic Powder: A bit of little bit of garlic powder goes a great distance. It provides a pop of savory goodness! You may also use contemporary minced garlic or roasted garlic in case you want.
- Thyme: A traditional herb that works superbly with the savory taste of this onion gravy.
- Salt and Pepper: Season to style!
- Dijon Mustard: This may sound uncommon, however belief me, it really works! The mustard provides a tangy observe to the gravy and helps to steadiness out sweetness.
- Worcestershire Sauce: Worcestershire sauce is a traditional ingredient in beef dishes. It provides a savory umami taste that enhances the meat broth and onions completely.
Methods to Make the Greatest Onion Gravy
Getting your onions to caramelized perfection is lots simpler than you’d assume. From there, all you must do is mix the remainder of your elements, and you’ve got a scrumptious selfmade gravy prepared in half-hour!
- Add Onions and Honey to Skillet: In a big pan or skillet, over medium-high warmth, soften the butter. Add the sliced onions and honey to the skillet and prepare dinner till the onions are tender and start to caramelize, about 10 minutes. Stirring periodically.
- Combine in Broth and Flour: Add the meat broth and convey it to a boil. Scale back the warmth to low and add within the flour. Whisk constantly to include effectively, and keep away from leaving any flour chunks behind.
- Season: Proceed to simmer the combination on low warmth till it reduces. Stir within the seasonings, Dijon mustard, and Worcestershire sauce. Whisk effectively and proceed decreasing the gravy till it’s the desired consistency.
- Take pleasure in: Serve over mashed potatoes or together with your favourite beef entrée!
Suggestions and Variations
Onion gravy is so scrumptious and can take dinner to the subsequent stage. Use these tricks to make it simply the way in which you prefer it!
- Different Kinds of Onions: Should you don’t have yellow onions, you should utilize white or purple onions as an alternative. They’ll have a barely completely different taste, however it would nonetheless be scrumptious. You’ll have to check completely different sorts out and see which one is your favourite!
- Make it Vegetarian: You should use vegetable broth as an alternative of beef broth if you wish to make a vegetarian model of this gravy.
- Use Soy Sauce: An incredible substitute for Worcestershire sauce is soy sauce! It’s going to add the same umami taste to the gravy.
- Serve With: Dice steaks, hamburger steaks, pot roasts, sausages, roasted hen, you identify it! Onion gravy is an excellent versatile condiment that it is advisable check out with your whole favourite hearty meals.
When you’ve made your scrumptious onion gravy, don’t let any leftovers go to waste! They will simply be saved and loved later so as to add some hearty taste to your meals.
- Within the Fridge: Retailer in an hermetic container for 3-4 days. Reheat over the range on medium warmth when able to serve.
- Within the Freezer: Switch your onion gravy to a freezer bag and retailer for as much as 2 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than you reheat it.
In a big skillet, over medium-high warmth soften the butter. Add the sliced onions and honey to the skillet and prepare dinner till the onions are tender and start to caramelize, about 10 minutes. Stirring periodically.
Add the meat broth and convey it to a boil. Scale back the warmth to low and add within the flour. Whisk constantly to include effectively, and keep away from leaving any flour chunks behind.
Proceed to prepare dinner the combination on low warmth till it reduces. Add the seasonings, Dijon mustard, and Worcestershire sauce. Whisk effectively and proceed decreasing the gravy till it’s the desired consistency.
Serve over mashed potatoes or together with your favourite beef entree!
Energy262kcal (13%)Carbohydrates12g (4%)Protein3g (6%)Fats23g (35%)Saturated Fats15g (75%)Polyunsaturated Fats1gMonounsaturated Fats6gTrans Fats1gLdl cholesterol61mg (20%)Sodium1149mg (48%)Potassium173mg (5%)Fiber1g (4%)Sugar5g (6%)Vitamin A738IU (15%)Vitamin C5mg (6%)Calcium33mg (3%)Iron1mg (6%)
All dietary info is predicated on third celebration calculations and is simply an estimate. Every recipe and dietary worth will differ relying on the manufacturers you utilize, measuring strategies and portion sizes per family.