This Mile Excessive Strawbery Pie is a delicious retro recipe! Up to date from the 70s, this frozen dessert now makes use of recent berries and cream.
This Frozen Strawberry Dessert has stood the take a look at of time. With a few easy tweaks, it’s even higher than the unique recipe from the Seventies!
Why You Should Make
- It is a scrumptious, retro recipe that we’d have for Easter (and different holidays) again within the Seventies!
- I’ve up to date my mother’s model utilizing recent as an alternative of frozen strawberries and actual whipped cream. So it tastes even higher than the unique recipe!
- It may be made as bars or piled right into a pie tin so it’s actually a mile-high pie!
- Because it’s frozen, it may be made forward of time, making it excellent for entertaining.
When it got here to meals, my mother pulled out all of the stops for the vacations. I fondly keep in mind her Mile Excessive Strawberry Pie Dessert making its debut one Easter. I’ve a duplicate of her recipe on an index card in my recipe field. it was made with a “field” of strawberries from the grocery store’s freezer and piled excessive right into a pie plate!
- Chopped Pecans – Toast first to carry out the important oils AKA taste.
- Egg Whites – Separate when chilly, however carry to room temperature for probably the most quantity when crushed. In case you get any yolk in your whites, you’ll have to begin over. Any contamination from oil or fat, together with egg yolks, will forestall them from whipping correctly.
- Recent Strawberries – Be sure they’re crimson, candy and aromatic for the tastiest outcomes.
- Lemon Juice – Recent juice at all times trumps bottled juice.
- Whipping Cream – Ought to be a minimum of 36% butterfat.
Suggestions for Beating Egg Whites:
- In case you’re new to creating a meringue or dessert with egg whites, I’ve a number of ideas for you. PRO-Tip: Let your egg whites heat to room temperature earlier than beating.
- They are going to whip a lot increased and lighter than if they’re chilly. PRO-Tip: Additionally, be certain your beaters and mixing bowl are scrupulously clear. Any oil or grease residue will forestall the egg whites from whipping up right into a billowy mass. This contains even only a speck of egg yolk.
- I like to recommend separating your eggs separately in two small bowls. Empty the egg white into the blending bowl earlier than separating one other. If any yolk will get into the white, simply toss that one or reserve it for scrambled eggs.
Continuously Requested Questions
There’s an choice to make this recipe in a pie pan. When the filling is piled on the smaller crust, it is rather tall. A lot increased than your normal pie filling!
First, you should know when strawberries are in season. Florida strawberries can be found round Christmas and California strawberries are greatest within the spring and summer season. Native strawberries are sometimes the tastiest! In Indiana, they’re obtainable beginning early in June
Use your senses of odor and style. Search for aromatic crimson berries with out inexperienced or yellowish areas, with a slight sheen to their skins, freed from blemishes, and seeds that aren’t brown and dry.
Don’t wash till you’re prepared to make use of because the moisture causes them to soak up water which shortens their lifespan. Whenever you’re nearly prepared to make use of them, rinse rapidly in cool water and allow them to dry on paper towels.
Take away the stem utilizing a paring knife, a coring device, or perhaps a steel or plastic straw. You’ll need to take away the white core in addition to the leaves. Then you may chop them for the recipe.
There’s some threat you want to pay attention to. Pasteurized eggs are really helpful, however they’re usually tough to find. There’s a slight likelihood that raws will be contaminated with salmonella micro organism. In case you’re serving this to anybody who could be very younger, very outdated, or immune-compromised, it’s greatest to not serve them any recipe that accommodates uncooked eggs.
There are dwelling strategies to self-pasteurize by preserving your entire eggs at 140° for 3-4 minutes to kill any micro organism. That is executed utilizing a water tub and thermometer. Nevertheless it’s laborious to know if the egg whites have reached the specified temperature for the wanted time.
Merely Recipes has a newer method by which you combine your egg whites with sugar and warmth them over a double boiler, stirring continually, till they attain 160° since when the eggs are within the shell, you haven’t any approach of realizing how heat they get.
You Might Additionally Like:
In case you love this Mile Excessive Strawberry Pie, you’ll additionally get pleasure from these different strawberry sweets!
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 2 egg whites, at room temperature (I like to recommend pasteurized as they won’t be cooked on this dessert)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups chopped recent strawberries
- 2 tablespoons recent lemon juice
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Recent strawberries and sweetened whipped cream, to garnish (non-compulsory)
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Place flour, brown sugar, chopped pecans, and melted butter right into a bowl and blend effectively. Pat into the underside of a 9″ x 13″ pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until evenly browned. Cool to room temperature
- Mix egg whites, sugar, berries, and lemon juice within the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat for 8-10 minutes until whipped and stiff.
- In one other bowl, whip the cream till agency peaks kind. Fold into strawberry combination, then unfold over the crust.
- Freeze for a minimum of 6 hours earlier than serving. Take away from the freezer about 10 minutes earlier than serving.
- Slice into squares and garnish with a dollop of whipped cream and berries, if desired.
Whole time doesn’t replicate freezing time.
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 221Whole Fats: 14gSaturated Fats: 7gTrans Fats: 0gUnsaturated Fats: 7gLdl cholesterol: 29mgSodium: 51mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 1gSugar: 15gProtein: 2g