Prep 15 minutes
Cook dinner 45 minutes
Add’l 1 hr 30 minutes
Whole 2 hrs 30 minutes
With a shiny pop of shade from the lemon curd, these lemon meringue cookies would be the most stunning treats in your counter this spring. Dusted with powdered sugar for some aptitude, they’re nonetheless surprisingly straightforward and fast to make.
Vivid and zesty, these lemon meringue cookies are like cute bite-sized suns on any serving platter. With an explosion of citrus within the meringue and toppings, lemon will certainly develop into your new favourite taste for all of your candy treats.
Tucked inside a fragile, ethereal meringue, use your favourite lemon curd to present these cookies an additional pop of shade and creaminess. Lemon slices additionally add pure acidity and a refined bitterness. Paired with a light-weight crunch, these lemon meringue cookies are an addictive chunk.
Don’t fear in case you’ve by no means made meringues earlier than. They’re not as intimidating as they appear! In reality, with a little bit of endurance to let the egg whites rise correctly, you gained’t have any subject putting complete batches of those on the desk for all of your spring gatherings.
What Are Meringues?
Meringues are egg white-based desserts which might be usually related to totally different European cuisines. Whereas the time period refers to stable, crunchy, and light-weight treats that come in numerous flavors like chocolate or vanilla, the phrase “meringue” can also be used to explain the whipping of egg whites till stiff peaks type. The combination is then spooned or piped into totally different shapes and baked for its signature crunch.
With egg whites and a few lemons, you’re all set to make these lemon meringue cookies. Verify the recipe card on the backside of the publish for full ingredient quantities.
For the Meringues
- Egg Whites – Boxed whites are okay too.
- Cream of Tartar – You possibly can depart it out in case you’d like.
- Granulated Sugar – Don’t use powdered sugar. Mild brown sugar is an effective different.
- Cornstarch – Don’t substitute this.
- Lemon Juice – Freshly squeezed juice is finest.
- Lemon Zest – Be happy to depart it out, however the contemporary lemon zest provides a ton of lemon taste.
- Vanilla Extract – You possibly can substitute it for 1/4 teaspoon of lemon extract.
- Lemon Curd
- Lemon Slices
- Powdered Sugar – Don’t use granulated sugar. It’ll add an disagreeable, grainy crunch.
- Candied Lemon
- Recent Berries
Learn how to Make Lemon Meringues
Making these lemon meringue cookies is simple so long as you get the egg whites proper.
- Put together the tray. Preheat the oven to 250°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and put aside.
- Whip the whites. Within the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, add the egg whites and beat on medium pace for 1 minute or till frothy and foamy. Add salt and cream of tartar. Beat for 3 minutes, till thicker foam kinds.
- Mix the sugar and eggs. In a separate mixing bowl, mix the sugar and cornstarch. As soon as the egg combination has thickened, slowly stream the sugar combination into the egg combination. Flip the mixer to hurry 4 and proceed mixing for two minutes.
- Proceed whipping. Add lemon juice, lemon extract, and vanilla and whip on pace 6 for 13-14 minutes, till stiff peaks type.
- Fill the tray. Spoon ¼ cup – ⅓ cup of the meringue onto the ready baking sheet. Repeat till the entire meringue is used. Press a spoon into the middle of every meringue to type a bowl form. Don’t neglect to make the nicely within the middle as a result of it’ll maintain the lemon curd from oozing out.
- Bake. Place into the preheated oven and bake for 45 minutes. As soon as the time is up, flip the oven off and shut the oven door. Let the meringues cool within the closed oven for 1 hour and half-hour. Don’t open the door earlier than the cooling time is up or your meringues can deflate.
- Cool them. As soon as cooled, take away them from the oven and place them on a wire rack till they arrive all the way down to room temperature.
- Add toppings. Divide the curd evenly between the meringues, spooning the curd into the bowl-shaped a part of the meringue. Prime every with a lemon slice, mud with powdered sugar, and serve.
Ideas for Success
Having a clear bowl and being affected person as you beat the egg whites will make sure you don’t have any points with the meringue for these lemon meringue cookies.
- Clear the bowl. Any residual moisture or fats within the bowl will stop the egg whites from whipping correctly. Keep away from this subject by cleansing the bowl with scorching water and wiping it down with lemon juice or white vinegar. Let it dry totally earlier than utilizing it.
- Don’t rush. Beat the whites over medium-low to construct a gentle meringue. Doing it over excessive pace will add an excessive amount of air and can trigger the meringue to break down or have too many massive air pockets.
- Steer clear of plastic bowls. Some supplies don’t react nicely with the egg whites, making it extra sophisticated (and even unattainable) for them to whip correctly. Because of this, keep away from plastic bowls, which are inclined to react negatively to whipping whites. If doable, persist with a chrome steel bowl.
These lemon meringue cookies are a perfect snack. They’re not overly candy, which means they go nice with breakfast, lunch, dinner, or an in-between. For an much more indulgent deal with, serve them with my Brown Butter Ice Cream or Blackberry Sorbet on the facet.
Mud them with extra powdered sugar, however you may also drizzle them with a little bit of uncooked honey or agave syrup for further sweetness. They’re additionally great with some contemporary berries on high!
As soon as totally cooled, retailer these lemon meringue cookies in an hermetic container or bag for as much as 4 days. If you happen to’re including lemon curd as a topping, I like to recommend storing them in a container with out overlapping them. In any other case, the curd will persist with the bag’s plastic. Don’t refrigerate them as a result of they’ll take in moisture and soften.
Extra Lemon Desserts
Yield: 12 meringues
These lemon meringue cookies are shiny, citrusy cookies with a fragile, ethereal crunch. They’re addictive with a little bit of lemon curd!
Cook dinner Time
1 hour half-hour
2 hours half-hour
For the Meringues
- 5 egg whites
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, optionally available
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 250°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and put aside.
- Within the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment add egg whites and beat on medium pace for 1 minute, till small froth/foam kinds. Add salt and cream of tartar and beat for 3 minutes, till a thicker foam kinds.
- In a separate small mixing bowl mix sugar and cornstarch. As soon as the eggs have develop into a thicker foam and whereas the mixer remains to be working, slowly stream the sugar combination into the egg combination. Flip the mixer to a pace 4 and proceed mixing for two minutes.
- Add lemon juice, lemon extract, and vanilla and whip on pace 6 for 13-14 minutes, till stiff peaks type.
- Spoon ¼ cup – ⅓ cup of the meringue onto the ready baking sheet. Repeat till the entire meringue is used. Press a spoon into the middle of every meringue to type a bowl form.
- Place into the preheated oven and bake for 45 minutes. As soon as the time is up, flip off the oven and depart the oven door shut. Let the meringues cool within the closed oven for 1 hour and half-hour.
- As soon as cooled, take away from the oven and place on a wire cooling rack.
- Divide the curd evenly between the meringues, spooning the curd into the bowl formed a part of the meringue. Prime each with a lemon slice, mud with powdered sugar and serve.
Storage: As soon as totally cooled, retailer these lemon meringue cookies in an hermetic container or bag for as much as 4 days. If you happen to’re including lemon curd as a topping, I like to recommend storing them in a container with out overlapping them. In any other case, the curd will persist with the bag’s plastic. Do not refrigerate them as a result of they’re going to take in moisture and soften.
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 121Whole Fats: 3gSaturated Fats: 2gTrans Fats: 0gUnsaturated Fats: 1gLdl cholesterol: 27mgSodium: 193mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 0gSugar: 21gProtein: 2g
This publish might comprise affiliate hyperlinks. Learn my disclosure coverage.