My Lemon Curd is a scrumptious home made recipe that consists of lemon juice, lemon zest, eggs, sugar and butter. Good to make use of in baked items, in addition to a variety on biscuits or pancakes!
My Do-it-yourself Lemon Curd Recipe Is Simple And Scrumptious!
If there’s one factor that may brighten up any dessert or breakfast unfold, it’s the tangy citrus sweetness of home made lemon curd. With its silky texture and vibrant taste, lemon curd is a flexible deal with that can be utilized as a filling for muffins, a topping for pancakes, a variety for scones, or just loved by itself by the spoonful…which I’m positively responsible of!
I really like a lemon recipe, which is hard in my home, as a result of I’m the one one. I’ve tons of lemon recipes right here on my website that I am keen on, however should share with family and friends simply to get them out of my home…in any other case I’ll eat all of them! No matter that I gained’t ever cease making them as a result of I do know you like them too! SO immediately we’re making Do-it-yourself Lemon Curd, and I’ve realized some suggestions and methods that I’m excited to share with you.
What Is Lemon Curd?
It’s a creamy, citrus-based candy unfold or filling. Consider it quite a bit like a jam or jelly, however completely clean, nearly just like the filling of a lemon meringue pie. The method of constructing lemon curd entails cooking the lemon juice, zest, sugar, and eggs collectively till thickened to create a luscious and velvety consistency. The addition of butter make sit wealthy and silky, make it a real candy deal with. How you employ is it completely as much as you, however I particularly love spreading it in muffins together with buttercream. The 2 paired collectively is outrageous.
Solely 5 Elements Wanted!
The ingredient listing is straightforward: lemons, granulated sugar, unsalted butter, eggs, and salt. Past contemporary lemons you probably have all the opposite elements in your kitchen proper now! And don’t skip utilizing contemporary lemon juice…the bottled juice is okay in a pinch for recipes, however contemporary is finest for this recipe.
TIP: Ensure all of your elements are at room temperature! Every little thing will thicken up smoother and nicer with room temperature butter, eggs, and lemon juice!
There’s nothing out of the abnormal wanted for to make this recipe, however having the right tools is at all times a key to success. Nothing on this listing is important to make this recipe, they’re all simply useful instruments!
- Zester. A zester is a quite common kitchen instrument, and if you happen to don’t have one, I extremely advocate it. They’re cheap and ideal for grating zest from citrus fruits in addition to Parmesan cheese! For those who don’t have one, use any wonderful grater you’ve got.
- Lemon Squeezer. That is TOTALLY optionally available, however I’ll say that when i purchased one I can’t think about not having it. I take advantage of my squeezer WAY greater than I believed I’d. It makes squeezing lemons/limes/small oranges SO simple and will get out far more juice from the fruit than I ever bought out by hand. Plus is catches all of the seeds!
- Ceramic coated, or porcelain heavy bottomed saucepan or Dutch Oven. I like to recommend (if doable) not utilizing a metallic saucepan for lemon curd. You may and it will likely be wonderful…I do every so often (as you see in my photos). However utilizing a metallic pan can typically give your lemon curd a metallic taste because the citrus reacts to the metallic. I’ll hit on this slightly later, however it’s only a tip to notice.
- Silicone whisk. Like I stated above, metallic can react with the citrus, so use a silicone whisk when you’ve got one.
- Strainer. If you need impossibly clean lemon curd, go forward and pressure it!
Methods to Make Lemon Curd:
Prep: In a small saucepan/Dutch oven over medium warmth, whisk your eggs, sugar, salt, and lemon juice collectively till mixed.
Prepare dinner: Add within the butter and lemon juice and cook dinner the combination at medium-low warmth till it’s thickened. You will want to whisk it constantly, so don’t go away it alone! This step will take 10-ish minutes. However you’ll know when it begins to thicken, and a simple take a look at is to see if the curd coats the again of a spoon, quite a bit like syrup would. If not cook dinner slightly longer.
Chill: Switch the curd to a small glass bowl. If you’re selecting to pressure it, that is while you would try this. Enable the curd to chill at room temperature for quarter-hour or so, after which press a chunk of plastic wrap gently into the highest and pop it into the fridge till utterly chilled. The custard texture will proceed to thicken because it chills.
Why Does My Lemon Curd Style Metallic?
The usage of uncoated aluminum cookware/utensils might be the offender. Lemon juice is extremely acidic and might react with uncoated aluminum cookware, resulting in a metallic style within the lemon curd. To keep away from this, use cookware that’s coated or made from non-reactive supplies, for instance a silicone whisk and a ceramic coated Dutch oven are simple alternate options.
TIP: For those who don’t have a ceramic coated pot you should utilize a double boiler. Place a heat-safe glass bowl on prime of a bowl of simmering water and whisk till thickened.
What to Do If Your Curd Gained’t Thicken
For those who’re lemon curd isn’t thickening, there are just a few causes which are doable:
- Not sufficient cooking time. Proceed cooking and whisking the lemon curd…it’s going to ultimately thicken!
- The ratio of eggs, sugar, butter, and lemon juice within the recipe is essential for the right thickening of lemon curd. We’ve got all mis-measured up to now, even while you suppose you might be being essentially the most cautious…simply double examine you didn’t use additional massive eggs, or an excessive amount of juice!
- The warmth is just too excessive or too low: Cooking lemon curd at too excessive or too low warmth can have an effect on its thickening. If the warmth is just too excessive, the eggs can scramble too shortly, leading to a curd that gained’t thicken correctly. If the warmth is just too low, the curd might take longer to thicken or not thicken in any respect. Ensure to cook dinner the lemon curd over low to medium warmth as per the recipe directions.
Why Pressure Your Lemon Curd?
That is an optionally available step that helps guarantee a clean and velvety texture, freed from any lumps or bits of cooked egg. Right here’s how:
- Place a wonderful mesh sieve or strainer over a glass bowl.
- As soon as your lemon curd is cooked and thickened, take away it from the warmth and punctiliously pour it via the strainer. Any lumps or bits of zest will catch within the strainer.
- Discard any bits the strainer caught!
Methods to Use Lemon Curd:
- As a Unfold: It’s generally used as a variety on toast, English muffins, scones, biscuits, or pancakes. For breakfast strive mixing it into yogurt, on French Toast, or as a filling in crepes!
- In Desserts: It may be used as a filling in pies, tarts, or muffins. It will also be used as a layer in parfaits, trifles, or muffins.
- As a Dip or Sauce: Lemon curd can be utilized as a dip for fruits, cookies, and even savory gadgets like rooster tenders. It will also be used as a sauce drizzled over desserts, corresponding to cheesecake, ice cream, or pavlova.
- In Baking: It may be used as an ingredient in baking recipes so as to add a zesty taste. It may be utilized in muffins, cupcakes, cookies, or bars so as to add a tangy kick. It will also be used to fill pastries, turnovers, or danishes for a burst of citrusy goodness.
- In Cocktails or Drinks: It may be stirred into cocktails or combined with glowing water, lemonade, or tea to create a refreshing and citrusy beverage.
- As a Reward: It may be jarred and gifted to pals, household, or neighbors. Who wouldn’t love a loaf of freshly baked bread and a cute jar of lemon curd?
Recipes To Use Lemon Curd In:
Storing or Freezing Your Lemon Curd
- Within the Fridge: It’ll maintain within the fridge hermetic for as much as 10 days. You may take away the plastic wrap that you simply pressed into the curd when it’s chilled and switch to jars with lids if desired. As soon as it’s chilled a pores and skin won’t kind.
- To Freeze: Switch the lemon curd right into a freezer protected/hermetic container for as much as 30 days for finest freshness. If you’re prepared to make use of the frozen lemon curd, switch it to the fridge and let it thaw in a single day. Keep away from thawing lemon curd at room temperature or utilizing the microwave, as this may trigger the curd to grow to be too runny. As soon as thawed, give the lemon curd a delicate stir to revive its clean texture. If wanted, you may also whisk it evenly to carry again its creamy consistency.
Do-it-yourself Lemon Curd may be very simple to make and so scrumptious utilized in baking recipes, or unfold on a chunk of toast!
- 3 massive eggs
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2/3 cup lemon juice (3 to 4 medium lemons)
- 1/2 cup butter, lower into slices at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- In a small saucepan (*see tip) over medium warmth, whisk collectively the eggs, sugar, salt, and lemon juice till clean.
- Add within the butter and lemon zest and proceed cooking till the combination is thickened sufficient to coat the again of a spoon, whisking continually, about 10 minutes. *See be aware
- Switch the lemon curd to a small glass bowl and permit it to chill at room temperature for quarter-hour. Use a strainer or sieve when pouring into the bowl if you happen to discover the curd has any lumps.
- Press plastic wrap to the floor of the curd to stop a pores and skin from forming, after which and refrigerate till utterly chilled. (see Tip#2)
*Tip #1 – I like to make use of a small ceramic coated Dutch oven (like a Le Creuset) to cook dinner my lemon curd to keep away from a metallic style that may occur when utilizing a metallic saucepan. The lemon juice can react to the metallic when it’s sizzling giving the lemon curd that metallic style. Moreover a metallic whisk could cause this to occur as nicely, so swap that out for a silicone whisk.
*Tip #2 – As soon as the lemon curd is totally chilled you may take away the plastic wrap pressed into the highest and switch the curd to jars with lids if you happen to desire.
Retailer hermetic in your fridge for as much as 10 days in a glass container.
Freeze hermetic for as much as 30 days.
Key phrases: cookies and cups, lemon curd, lemons, lemon zest
Need To Save This Recipe?
Discover extra recipes like this:
PIN for later: