As a die-hard key lime lover, it’s most likely no shock I’m completely obsessed with this key lime bundt cake! It’s tangy, candy, and each factor is exploding with key lime juice. Backside line: this cake is scrumptious and a should bake for lime lovers!
Key Lime Bundt Cake Recipe
Each summer time I throw an enormous yard bbq and bake a key lime pie for dessert. However this yr, I made a decision to shake issues up and bake this key lime bundt cake as an alternative. I wasn’t fairly positive how my get together crew would reply to the change in menu… however to my delight, this cake ended up being the hit of the night!
And never a slice was leftover. Which was a disgrace… as a result of I used to be trying ahead to having fun with it with my morning espresso the following day. Ethical of the story? All the time sneak a slice to save lots of for later earlier than serving to visitors.
What you’ll Want:
- Key Limes: You’ll use key lime zest in addition to key lime juice. When you can’t discover key limes, you should use bottled key lime juice and simply common lime zest.
- Bundt Pan: The important thing to an awesome bundt cake is a nice bundt cake pan! This cake was developed particularly to be baked in a bundt pan, and I have no idea what the outcomes might be like in the event you bake it in a 9×13-inch cake pan, or attempt to convert it to cupcakes.
- Nonstick Baking Spray: Think about this your insurance coverage coverage to your cake popping out of the pan. You’ll need to spray each nook and cranny of your pan with this. And spray it RIGHT earlier than including the cake batter.
- Flour: All-purpose flour is the one flour I like to recommend utilizing for this cake. I can’t advise on making this gluten free or utilizing nut flours/oat flours.
- Baking Powder: Be sure it’s recent… and by no means swap baking powder for baking soda!
- Salt: Only a sprint balances flavors and sweetness. Don’t skip this except you’re utilizing salted butter. See extra on that under.
- Butter: Unsalted works greatest, however in a pinch, salted butter will work. Merely omit the salt referred to as for within the recipe. Be sure your butter is at room temperature or it gained’t correctly cream.
- Cream Cheese: Use the brick selection, and ensure it’s full-fat and at room temperature earlier than you start baking.
- Granulated Sugar: Don’t reduce on the quantity right here or your cake might be overly tart. I additionally don’t recommend utilizing brown sugar. This swap is not going to solely change the looks of your cake (it’ll bake up way more brown in colour) however will change the flavour by including a molasses undertone, which doesn’t pair nicely with the important thing lime taste, in my view.
- Vanilla Extract: I at all times recommend utilizing pure vanilla extract, not synthetic or imitation vanilla.
- Eggs: You’ll want 5 of them! Be sure your eggs are of the massive selection and are at room temperature.
- Oil: Whereas I name for canola oil, vegetable oil or coconut oil (refined or unrefined) will all work right here. The small quantity ensures your cake retains its moist crumb for days on finish.
- Powdered Sugar: For the smoothest glaze attainable, make sure you sift your sugar earlier than use.
Ideas and Tips for Recipe Success:
- In contrast to many recipes that decision for an oven preheated to 350 levels, for this recipe, you’ll preheat the oven to 325 levels.
- In a big bowl mix your dry substances. You should definitely measure correctly! For greatest outcomes, I recommend weighing these substances with a digital scale.
- You’ll want a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment OR a handheld electrical mixer for this recipe. You’ll use it to beat the butter and cream cheese collectively on medium pace till tremendous clean and fluffy.
- Step by step add within the sugar! When you add it all of sudden, it gained’t correctly incorporate and would possibly even fly out of the bowl.
- You should definitely cut back the mixer pace to medium earlier than including the eggs. After which add them in one after the other! You will need to beat nicely after every addition, and scrape down the edges and backside of the bowl steadily, to make sure the batter correctly comes collectively.
- When it’s time so as to add within the flour combination, you’ll need to be certain your mixer is operating on the bottom pace setting. And that you just combine simply till mixed. Over mixing will lead to a dry cake.
- Don’t over bake! This cake recipe ought to be accomplished in about 60 to 65 minutes, however you’ll know for sure when a toothpick inserted within the middle comes out clear.
- Cool within the pan for precisely 10 minutes earlier than you take away the cake and switch it to a wire rack to chill fully.
- You’ll brush the cake with the lime syrup whereas it’s nonetheless heat. When you wait till the cake has cooled, the cake is not going to take up the syrup correctly.
- Nevertheless I recommend ready till the cake is totally cooled so as to add the glaze and garnishes!
Talking of garnishes, you’ve got loads of choices right here! I really like including finely grated lime zest and lime spirals, however you might additionally add crushed graham cracker crumbs for a key lime pie vibe. You may additionally swap out the glaze for a cream cheese frosting like I exploit on my bakery-style white cake (tastes like white cake combine however one million occasions higher) or a white chocolate frosting like I exploit on my white chocolate cranberry bundt cake.
Extra Key Lime Recipes:
Key Lime Bundt Cake
As a die-hard key lime lover, it is most likely no shock I am completely obsessive about this key lime bundt cake! It is tangy, candy, and each factor is exploding with key lime juice. Backside line: this cake is scrumptious and a should bake for lime lovers!
For the Cake:
- 3 cups (360g) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 and 1/2 cups (340g) unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup (227g) brick-style full-fat cream cheese room temperature
- 2 cups (398g) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 5 massive eggs room temperature
- 1/2 cup (113ml) key lime juice
- 3 Tablespoons (36g) key lime zest finely grated
- 2 Tablespoons (28ml) canola oil
For the Soaking Syrup:
- 1/3 cup (76ml) key lime juice
- 1/2 cup (99g) granulated sugar
For the Icing:
- 2 cups (228g) confectioners’ sugar sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 and 1/2 Tablespoons (35ml) key lime juice
- lime zest finely grated, for garnish, elective
- lime spirals for garnish, elective
For the Cake:
Preheat the oven to 325°F. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt collectively till nicely mixed. Put aside till wanted.
Within the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a big bowl utilizing a handheld electrical mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese on medium pace till clean and creamy, about 1 minute.
Step by step add within the sugar, then improve the pace to medium-high and proceed beating till gentle and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat within the vanilla extracts.
Scale back the pace to medium, then add within the eggs, one after the other, beating nicely after every addition and scraping down the edges of the bowl as wanted. Beat within the lime juice, lime zest, and oil.
Scale back the pace to low and add within the flour combination, mixing simply till mixed.
Generously grease a 10-inch (12-cup) bundt pan, being positive to coat all the nooks and crannies. I recommend utilizing a non-stick baking spray that has flour in it, or greasing the pan with shortening or butter, then dusting it with flour.
Scrape the cake batter into the pan and, utilizing a rubber spatula, evenly clean the highest.
Bake for 60 to 65 minutes, or till the cake is golden brown AND a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clear. Enable the cake to chill within the pan, set on a wire rack, for 10 minutes. Then invert the cake onto the rack.
Slowly brush the nice and cozy lime soaking syrup all around the cake, high and sides, permitting it to sink in earlier than including extra.
As soon as all the syrup has been added, set the cake apart to chill fully, about 2 and 1/2 hours.
For the Soaking Syrup:
In a medium saucepan, mix the lime juice and sugar. Deliver to a simmer over medium warmth and prepare dinner, whisking steadily, simply till the sugar has fully dissolved. Take away from warmth and use as directed above.
For the Icing:
In a big liquid measuring cup or bowl, mix the sugar and salt. Whisk within the lime juice, mixing till simply mixed. The combination ought to be tremendous thick and simply barely pourable. If the glaze is just too thick, add extra lemon juice, a teaspoon at a time. If the glaze is just too skinny, add extra confectioners’ sugar, a Tablespoon at a time.
Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cake. Enhance with lime zest and lime spirals, if utilizing. Then enable it to set for 20 minutes. Slice and serve!