Tailored from my favourite chocolate cake recipe, this wealthy Guinness chocolate cake is made with decreased darkish stout beer for deep taste. Topped with extremely creamy chocolate Guinness cream cheese frosting, this cake would possibly simply turn into a brand new St. Patrick’s Day dessert custom.
I’m not making this up: whereas I used to be photographing at this time’s cake, a rainbow really appeared in my yard—not within the sky, in entrance of the timber in my precise YARD. I knew it was good luck; this cake was DELICIOUS.
And thankfully, you don’t want to search out the tip of the rainbow to make this chocolate Guinness cake. You simply want 2 Guinness stout beers, and a few primary baking elements.
Why Bake With Guinness?
You don’t have to love beer to like this cake. Darkish, easy, and creamy, with roast espresso and caramel undertones, Guinness stout is usually utilized in baking and nearly at all times paired with chocolate. The 2 work effectively collectively as a result of Guinness, like espresso, intensifies chocolate’s pure taste. Desserts like Guinness cupcakes and Guinness brownies don’t style like beer, only a extra complicated chocolate with a malty background.
We’re additionally incorporating the Guinness taste within the chocolate cream cheese frosting, which is nice and silky and enhances the darkish, fudgy chocolate cake completely.
So, to evaluation:
Why You’ll Love It
- Chocolate cake is wealthy, moist, and fudgy, with a touch of Guinness taste
- Malty undertones with notes of caramel and low
- Additional creamy, silky chocolate cream cheese frosting additionally incorporates the decreased Guinness focus for one more kiss of taste
However, that is baking. And, as I usually say, baking is a science. You may’t simply pour a few beers into cake batter. So how can we pack actual Guinness taste into chocolate cake and frosting, with out turning all the pieces into soup? The trick is to cut back the beer on the range first, to pay attention the flavour right into a small quantity of liquid.
Finest Method to Make Guinness Chocolate Cake: Cut back the Beer
The warmth evaporates the liquid (and cooks off the alcohol), however leaves the flavour. We additionally do that with champagne in my mimosa cupcakes and champagne frosting. And with strawberries in my strawberry cake, too.
This step is very easy. Pour 2 bottles of Guinness stout into a big saucepan. Let it come as much as simply boiling—maintain a detailed eye on it, as a result of it’ll foam up loads at first—then flip down the warmth and go away it to simmer for about half-hour, till it’s decreased to only about 3/4 cup (180ml). You’ll be left with much less liquid, however extra taste.
Will your kitchen odor like a brewery? Sure. Will the odor of baking chocolate cake shortly overpower it? Additionally sure.
- Success tip: Use a bigger saucepan/pot than you suppose you want, with excessive sides. When the beer begins boiling, it’ll get very foamy and threaten to boil over. Cut back the warmth to low; then, as the froth settles again down, slowly improve warmth to medium.
As soon as the Guinness is simmering away, begin mixing collectively the remainder of the cake elements.
Different Substances in Guinness Chocolate Cake
Let’s shortly evaluation the opposite elements you’ll be mixing with the decreased Guinness, and why every is essential to your outcomes:
- All-Objective Flour: The structural base of this recipe. Cake flour is nice for vanilla cake; however when mixed with ultra-light cocoa powder, it’s too fantastic for this cake. Stick with all-purpose right here.
- Unsweetened Pure Cocoa Powder: Don’t use dutch-process cocoa powder. When you’re , see dutch-process vs pure cocoa powder for an in-depth rationalization.
- Granulated Sugar: Sweetens this cake.
- Baking Soda + Baking Powder: It is a pretty dense cake, however these 2 leavening brokers present the carry.
- Espresso Powder: Espresso powder accentuates the chocolate and Guinness flavors.
- Salt & Vanilla Extract: Taste and extra taste!
- Vegetable Oil: Cocoa powder is a very drying ingredient, so oil is required to make sure the cake is moist.
- Eggs: Eggs add construction and bind the elements collectively.
- Bitter Cream + Buttermilk: When you might use only one or the opposite, you’ll have the perfect success with a mix of each, which makes for a moist and mushy but sturdy crumb.
Whisk collectively the dry elements, whisk collectively the moist elements, then pour the moist combination into dry and whisk to mix. The final step for the cake batter is so as to add within the sizzling decreased Guinness. We’ll use 1/2 cup (120ml) of sizzling decreased Guinness within the cake batter, and put aside the remaining to chill utterly for the frosting.
Why use sizzling liquid? Scorching liquid helps the cocoa powder “bloom,” drawing out its wealthy taste. We use sizzling espresso on this chocolate cake and these cream-filled cupcakes, however at this time we’re utilizing decreased Guinness as a substitute.
Chocolate Guinness Cream Cheese Frosting
I began with this recipe for easy and silky chocolate cream cheese frosting, and easily swapped cooled Guinness focus for the heavy cream. That’s it—my workforce and I didn’t check something additional as a result of this Guinness-hinted frosting was creamy, tangy, chocolatey, and PERFECT.
I additionally adorn the cake with gold shimmer sprinkles, the identical I exploit on these St. Patrick’s Day cookies. Completely elective.
Draught vs. Additional Stout—Which Sort of Guinness to Use
Guinness Draught is richer and creamier, as a result of it’s carbonated with nitrogen. It has an ABV of 4.2%. Additional Stout is slightly sharper and crisper, as a result of it’s carbonated with carbon dioxide like most beers. ABV is a bit larger, at 5.6%. Both one works on this recipe.
St. Patrick’s Day Treats
Guinness Chocolate Cake
Prep Time: 1 hour
Prepare dinner Time: 27 minutes
Whole Time: 5 hours (contains chilling)
Yield: serves 12-16
The BEST option to impart actual Guinness taste into chocolate cake is to cut back it down on the range first. This packs in taste with out altering the cake’s texture. You may also put together this chocolate layer cake as a sheet cake. See recipe Observe.
- Cut back the Guinness: In a big saucepan, carry the Guinness to a boil over medium-high warmth. As soon as boiling, scale back to medium warmth and permit to simmer till decreased all the way down to about 3/4 cup, about half-hour. Start making the cake batter as soon as the Guinness is simmering. You’ll use 1/2 cup of the new decreased Guinness within the cake batter, and put aside the remainder to chill for the frosting. You are able to do this step 1 day forward of time if wanted—see Observe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Grease two 9-inch cake pans, line with parchment paper rounds, then grease the parchment paper. Parchment paper helps the truffles seamlessly launch from the pans. (If it’s useful, see this parchment paper rounds for truffles video & publish.)
- Make the cake: Whereas the Guinness is simmering, whisk the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and espresso powder (if utilizing) collectively in a big bowl. Put aside.
- Utilizing a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment (or you need to use a whisk) combine the oil, bitter cream, eggs, and vanilla collectively on medium-high velocity till mixed. Add the buttermilk and blend till mixed. Pour the moist elements into the dry elements, give it a fast combine/whisk, then add 1/2 cup (120ml) of sizzling decreased Guinness. Combine or whisk on low velocity till the batter is totally mixed. Batter is skinny. If it helps, you need to have about 6 cups or 1250g of cake batter whole.
- Divide batter evenly between pans. Bake for 25–28 minutes or till a toothpick inserted within the middle comes out clear. Baking instances range, so control yours. The truffles are completed when a toothpick inserted within the middle comes out clear. (Observe: Even when they’re utterly completed, the cooled truffles might barely sink within the middle. Cocoa powder is solely not as structurally robust as all-purpose flour and might’t maintain as much as all of the moisture essential to make a moist chocolate cake. It’s regular!)
- Take away the truffles from the oven and set on a wire rack. Permit to chill utterly within the pans.
- Make the frosting: With a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese and butter collectively on medium velocity till creamy and easy, about 2 minutes. Add confectioners’ sugar, cocoa powder, 3 Tablespoons (45ml) cooled decreased Guinness, and a pinch of salt. Beat on low velocity for 30 seconds, then improve to excessive velocity and beat for 1 full minute. Don't over-whip. Add a pair extra Tablespoons of confectioners’ sugar or cocoa powder if frosting is just too skinny, or 1 extra Tablespoon of cooled decreased Guinness if frosting is just too thick. Style. Add one other pinch of salt if desired.
- Assemble and frost: If cooled truffles are domed on high, use a big serrated knife to slice a skinny layer off the tops to create a flat floor. That is referred to as “leveling” the truffles. Discard or crumble over completed cake. Place 1 cake layer in your cake stand or serving plate. Utilizing a massive icing spatula or small offset spatula, evenly cowl the highest with about 1 cup (about 250g) of frosting. High with 2nd layer and unfold remaining frosting everywhere in the high and sides. A bench scraper is useful for smoothing out the perimeters. I normally go lighter on the perimeters of the cake, to have leftover frosting for piping across the high. (Piping is elective.) If desired, garnish high of cake with sprinkles.
- Refrigerate uncovered cake for at the very least 30–60 minutes earlier than slicing to assist set the form. After that, you possibly can serve the cake or proceed refrigerating for as much as 4–6 hours earlier than serving. Cake will be served at room temperature or chilled.
- Cowl leftover cake tightly and retailer within the fridge for five days. I like utilizing a cake service for storing and transporting.
- Make Forward & Freezing Directions: You may scale back the Guinness a day forward of time. Let cool, cowl, and refrigerate. Deliver decreased beer to room temperature earlier than utilizing within the frosting, and warmth 1/2 cup within the microwave or on the range till sizzling to make use of within the cake batter. To make the cake forward of time: Put together cake by step 6. Wrap the person baked and cooled cake layers tightly and refrigerate for as much as 2 days or freeze as much as 3 months. Deliver to room temperature then proceed with step 7. You may put together the frosting 2–3 days prematurely. Cowl and refrigerate, then carry to room temperature earlier than spreading onto/assembling the cake. Frosted cake freezes effectively, as much as 3 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge, then carry to room temperature or serve chilly.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): 9-inch Cake Pans | Electrical Mixer (Handheld or Stand Mixer) | Glass Mixing Bowls | Whisk | Cake Turntable | Icing Spatula | Bench Scraper | Gold Shimmer Sprinkles | Cake Service (for storing)
- Cocoa Powder: Use pure cocoa powder within the cake batter, not dutch-process. (See dutch-process vs pure cocoa powder for extra data.) As a result of there isn't a leavening occurring in frosting, you need to use both pure or dutch-process within the frosting.
- Buttermilk: Buttermilk is required for this recipe. You can also make your individual DIY model of buttermilk if wanted. Add 1 teaspoon of white vinegar or lemon juice to a liquid measuring cup. Then add sufficient room-temperature complete milk to the identical measuring cup till it reaches 1/2 cup (120ml). (In a pinch, decrease fats or nondairy milks work for this soured milk, however the cake received’t style as moist or wealthy.) Stir it round and let sit for five minutes. The selfmade “buttermilk” might be considerably curdled and able to use within the recipe.
- Quantity of Cake Batter: This recipe (and the bitter cream model) yields about 6 cups of batter, which is useful if you happen to want it for various Cake Pan Sizes & Conversions.
- Room Temperature Substances: All refrigerated gadgets ought to be at room temperature so the batter mixes collectively simply and evenly. Learn extra about why room temperature elements are necessary.
- Why sizzling liquid? You need the decreased Guinness to be sizzling while you add it to the remainder of the cake batter, to assist the cocoa powder “bloom.” This makes for the perfect chocolate taste.
- 9×13-Inch Pan: You may bake this cake as a sheet cake in a 9×13-inch baking pan. Similar oven temperature, about 35–40 minutes bake time.
- Guinness Cupcakes: Right here is my recipe for chocolate Guinness cupcakes with mocha Guinness buttercream.
Key phrases: guinness chocolate cake