Grissini are crunchy, slender breadsticks that make an look on most restaurant and aperitivo tables round Italy. Although their form and identify modifications as you journey all through the nation, the historical past of grissini is linked to Turin, the capital of the Piemonte. And whereas just a few substances are wanted to make grissini, most Italians select to buy them as an alternative of baking at residence. However they’re extremely satisfying to make, so in honor of Fernanda’s dad’s philosophy, why purchase what you may bake at residence?
- 5¾ cups plus 3 tablespoons (754 grams) bread flour
- 1⅔ cups (400 grams) water, room temperature (70°F/21°C)
- 3¼ teaspoons (10 grams) lively dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup plus 1 teaspoon (80 grams) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2½ teaspoons (15 grams) high-quality sea salt
- Corn flour or plain cornmeal, for dusting
- In a big bowl, mix flour and 1⅔ cups (400 grams) water. Let stand for quarter-hour. Add yeast and sugar; knead till mixed. Add oil and salt; knead till a gentle, elastic, clean dough kinds, 5 to 7 minutes. Cowl dough in bowl; let stand at room temperature for not less than 10 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Punch down dough; let stand for 10 minutes. On a really calmly corn flour or cornmeal dusted floor, divide dough into small strips (about 0.75 ounces or 21 grams every). Roll into about 15-inch ropes; holding ropes from each ends, shake dough up and down in cornmeal or corn flour to assist lengthen. Place 1 inch aside on ready pans.
- Bake, one batch at a time, till golden, 10 to fifteen minutes. Let cool utterly. Retailer in a bread bag or hermetic container for a number of days.