My French Silk Pie recipe is made WITHOUT uncooked eggs so everybody can take pleasure in it! It’s a shocking dessert with a wealthy, velvety chocolate filling in a buttery home made pie crust. Recipe features a how-to video!
A French Silk Pie Recipe With out Uncooked Eggs
Have you ever ever had French silk pie? It’s a creamy, silky easy pie with a lightweight texture and a wealthy chocolate style. This one’s baked on my flaky, buttery home made pie crust (a household favourite for generations). Conventional recipes are sometimes made with uncooked eggs however–due to your suggestions–there are NO uncooked eggs in my recipe!
After I shared my chocolate mousse recipe (made with uncooked eggs), I acquired numerous suggestions that individuals had been uncomfortable consuming recipes with uncooked eggs. I bought the message, so I went to work and located a approach to prepare dinner the eggs whereas nonetheless reaching a wealthy and creamy pie with the lighter conventional texture that you simply anticipate from a French silk pie.
Truthful warning: there’s a little bit of approach and endurance concerned with this showstopper, however it’s effectively value it.
What you’ll love about my recipe:
- Silky outcomes (WITHOUT utilizing uncooked eggs)!
- 100% from-scratch, all the way in which from the crust to the home made whipped cream topping.
- Consists of directions for blind-baking, simply in case you’re new to this method.
- Tastes nice in any pie crust, together with graham cracker crust and Oreo crust.
- Would make an awesome addition to your Thanksgiving dessert desk!
What You Want
My velvety easy French silk pie recipe wants a number of key components:
- Blind baked pie crust. If anybody is nervous about blind baking, don’t be! I element the steps under, however you may as well take a look at my find out how to blind bake a pie crust publish for an in-depth clarification.
- Bittersweet chocolate. In a pinch you possibly can use semisweet chocolate, however my desire is bittersweet, which has a deeper, darker taste and retains the filling from being too candy. Bittersweet chocolate is usually round 70% cacao (semisweet is normally under 60%) and offers the right stability of taste.
- Espresso powder. That is non-compulsory, however it enhances the chocolate and provides a refined bitter taste that provides to the wealthy depth of taste that’s completely important to an excellent French silk pie.
- Eggs. As I’ve talked about, no uncooked eggs in right this moment’s recipe. We’ll prepare dinner these (rigorously) on the stovetop, very similar to we do with my tiramisu recipe, to take away any threat of meals poisoning.
- Vanilla. Vanilla extract is chocolate’s excellent mate. It rounds out the flavors and completely enhances the chocolate filling.
SAM’S TIP: Bear in mind to soften your chocolate slowly! I’ve a publish on find out how to soften chocolate within the microwave that has numerous nice ideas for this course of.
Bear in mind, that is simply an outline of the components I used and why. For the complete recipe please scroll right down to the underside of the publish!
Learn how to Make French Silk Pie
- Blind bake your pie crust and let it cool when you put together your filling.
- Microwave the chopped chocolate and butter till melted and easy.
- Whisk collectively the eggs, sugar, and salt in a double boiler till the sugar dissolves and the combination reaches 160F.
- Take away the bowl, dry it off, and use an electrical mixer to beat the combination till it lightens and will increase in quantity.
SAM’S TIP: You’ll know your egg combination is blended sufficient when it has lightened in coloration (it must be virtually white!) and elevated in quantity. To check to verify it’s actually prepared, carry your beaters out of the bowl; the ribbon of batter that falls down ought to maintain its form for a number of seconds earlier than dissolving again into the combination. Watch my video for a visible!
- Stir your melted chocolate, then beat it into the egg combination.
- Add the vanilla and espresso powder, then beat on excessive velocity for 30 seconds. Let this cool to room temperature.
- In a separate bowl, whip the heavy cream to stiff peaks.
- Fold the whipped cream into the cooled chocolate combination till mixed.
- Pour the filling into your ready crust, cowl with plastic, and chill for a minimum of 6 hours. Persistence is a advantage 😉
- Prime with whipped cream (if desired), slice, and revel in!
SAM’S TIP: Wait till your chocolate combination has cooled to the contact earlier than folding your whipped cream in. Additionally, use a spatula for this step (not a mixer!) to protect the entire air we simply whipped into the cream.
Ceaselessly Requested Questions
Don’t have a double boiler? That’s okay–neither do I! All you want is a heat-proof bowl that may sit in your saucepan with out touching the underside (or the water when you add it!). I simply use a glass Pyrex bowl (affiliate hyperlink).
Nice query! Each are fantastically chocolatey, contain a while on the range, and require chilling time. The distinction is within the texture of the fillings; my chocolate pie recipe has a extra custard-like, chocolate pudding filling, whereas my French silk pie recipe has a silky, whipped, virtually mousse-like filling. Each are scrumptious, so I recommend you make considered one of every and resolve which you favor 😉
If saved correctly (both lined in plastic or in an hermetic container), your pie will final for as much as 5 days within the fridge.
I LOVE this pie topped with home made whipped cream (and chocolate shavings, if I’m feeling fancy!). I extremely advocate you do the identical!
Take pleasure in!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe and video under! In case you do this recipe, remember to tag me on Instagram, and you may as well discover me on YouTube and Fb
French Silk Pie
Servings: 8 servings
Stop your display screen from going darkish
Blind-Baking the Crust
Switch your chilled pie dough to a clear, calmly floured floor and use a rolling pin to roll out right into a 12” (30cm) circle.
Switch to a 9” pie plate and fold extra crust beneath to type a easy edge. Flute or crimp the sides, prick the underside of the pie throughout with a fork, and switch to the freezer to sit back for half-hour. In the meantime, preheat oven to 375F (190C).
As soon as oven is preheated, take away pie plate from freezer and line with parchment paper or aluminum foil and fill with pie weights (dried beans would additionally work).
Bake on 375F (190C) for quarter-hour, take away from oven and thoroughly take away aluminum/parchment and weights (have a heatproof bowl able to obtain these – they’re sizzling!) and return to 375F (190C) oven to bake for an additional quarter-hour or till pie crust is starting to show golden brown. Enable to chill when you put together your filling.
French Silk Pie Filling
Earlier than you start: You’ll need a double boiler for this recipe or a medium-sized saucepan and a heatproof mixing bowl that may relaxation on the pot with out touching the underside.
Place chopped chocolate and butter items in a microwave-safe bowl and warmth in 20-second intervals, stirring effectively in between, till chocolate is totally melted and easy. Put aside.
Fill a medium-sized saucepan or backside of double boiler with about 2” of water and convey the water to a simmer.
In the meantime, within the bowl you’ll be utilizing over your double boiler/medium saucepan, whisk collectively eggs, sugar, and salt till well-combined.
As soon as water is simmering, place bowl with egg combination over double boiler (ensure it’s not touching the water) and whisk continuously till sugar has dissolved (for those who rub a small bit between your fingers, it ought to really feel easy/with out grit) and combination reaches 160F (71C).
Rigorously (watch out for the steam that escapes if you carry the bowl, it’s sizzling!) take away bowl from warmth, dry the underside, and now use an electrical mixer to beat till the combination is lightened in coloration (pale, virtually white) and elevated in quantity and the ribbon that falls off the beater holds its form for a number of seconds earlier than dissolving again into the combination (this takes me about 10 minutes with a handheld electrical mixer).
Briefly stir your bowl of melted chocolate/butter after which pour into the egg combination and beat till well-incorporated.
Add espresso powder and vanilla extract then enhance mixer velocity to excessive and beat for an additional 30 seconds. Enable combination to chill to room temperature, stirring sometimes.
As soon as combination is cooled, pour heavy cream right into a separate mixing bowl and use electrical mixer to beat to stiff peaks. Gently (by hand, utilizing a spatula) fold whipped cream into chocolate combination till utterly mixed and no streaks stay.
Unfold filling into ready pie crust. Cowl with plastic wrap and permit to sit back within the fridge for a minimum of 6 hours or in a single day.
Prime with home made whipped cream (non-compulsory, however advisable!) earlier than serving.
I like to recommend bittersweet chocolate for this recipe, which is usually about 70% cacao. In case you can’t discover this, 60% chocolate works effectively, too, and as a final resort you should use semisweet chocolate (which is a bit sweeter than I like for this pie, however not unhealthy!). Chocolate bars (somewhat than chocolate chips) are greatest for this recipe and what I like to recommend.
This provides further depth of taste to the pie, making the chocolate taste a bit darker, deeper, and richer. You possibly can go away this out completely or substitute with ½ teaspoon prompt espresso.
French silk pie will maintain for as much as 5 days within the fridge. Cowl with plastic wrap or retailer in an hermetic container.
To freeze, chill the pie for a minimum of 6 hours as indicated then wrap tightly in plastic wrap and you’ll freeze for a number of months.
Serving: 1serving | Energy: 571kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 7g | Fats: 41g | Saturated Fats: 23g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 2g | Monounsaturated Fats: 12g | Trans Fats: 0.5g | Ldl cholesterol: 148mg | Sodium: 276mg | Potassium: 246mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 30g | Vitamin A: 925IU | Vitamin C: 0.2mg | Calcium: 57mg | Iron: 3mg
Dietary info is predicated on third-party calculations and must be thought of an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will differ based mostly upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking technique, portion sizes, and extra.