Piled with flavorful veggies like peppers and artichokes, this vegetarian pizza shall be successful at your subsequent pizza evening! Contemporary basil takes it excessive.
In case you had been to ask me, “What’s the perfect vegetarian pizza in Chicago?”, I’d should ask a couple of followup questions earlier than I answered. Like, what sort of veggie pizza are we speaking right here? As a result of for me, in terms of pizza, there isn’t one greatest. Generally I’m within the temper for a Neapolitan-style pie with an ethereal crust and minimal toppings. And typically I need one thing creative, just like the vegan spinach & ranch pizza at Middlebrow in Logan Sq.. After which there are these nights when nothing however a traditional supply pizza will do.
That’s the place this veggie pizza recipe is available in. I make it once I may actually go for stated supply pizza, however we’ve simply gotten takeout the evening earlier than or the supply time sounded waayyy too lengthy or and many others., and many others., and many others. I’m certain you’ve been there: you need to order in, however for no matter motive that evening, it simply doesn’t make sense.
This vegetarian pizza recipe is a lifesaver in these conditions. Piled with bell peppers, briny artichokes, pink onion, contemporary basil, and three forms of cheese, it tastes like supply pizza (perhaps even higher?), and it’s fast and straightforward to make at house. It’s certainly one of our weeknight staples. I hope you find it irresistible too!
Veggie Pizza Recipe Components
Right here’s what you’ll must make this vegetarian pizza:
- Pizza dough – Search for store-bought dough within the refrigerated part of your grocery retailer, or make your individual dough! Tip: Selfmade pizza dough freezes properly. Make a double batch, and stash half within the freezer to your subsequent pizza evening!
- Cornmeal – For stretching the dough.
- Pizza sauce – I prefer to make a easy no-cook sauce within the meals processor with San Marzano tomatoes, garlic, oregano, olive oil, and salt. For a shortcut, store-bought works too!
- Asiago, pecorino, and mozzarella cheese – Sure, 3 sorts! I’m obsessive about the combo of the melty mozzarella, funky Asiago, and salty pecorino. To simplify, search for a “pizza” shredded cheese mix at your grocery retailer.
- Roasted pink peppers – A traditional veggie pizza topping! Jarred and do-it-yourself roasted peppers each work right here.
- Artichoke hearts – They add tangy, briny taste to this vegetarian pizza.
- Purple onion – Slice it thinly in order that it softens and sweetens within the oven.
- Jalapeño pepper – It’s unconventional however scrumptious. I like the kick of warmth! For much more spice, prime the pizza with pink pepper flakes after it bakes.
- Further-virgin olive oil – For drizzling.
- And contemporary basil leaves – Scatter them over the pizza when it comes out of the oven.
Discover the whole recipe with measurements beneath.
Making this vegetarian pizza recipe is nearly as simple as ordering supply!
Stretch the dough, unfold on the sauce, and add the cheese and greens. Bake at 500°F till the pizza crust is golden brown and the cheese and toppings are browning too, 10 to 13 minutes.
Take away from the oven and sprinkle with contemporary basil and pink pepper flakes. Slice and serve!
Vegetarian Pizza Recipe Suggestions
- Let the dough come to room temp. In case you’re utilizing refrigerated store-bought dough, or do-it-yourself dough that you just made forward and put within the fridge, ensure that to permit it to come back to room temperature earlier than you stretch it. Because it warms up it, it’s going to grow to be softer, extra pliable, and simpler to form into a big oval. (Chilly dough is stiff and tears simply.) I attempt to go away my dough on the counter for at the least an hour earlier than I stretch it.
- Pat the peppers and artichokes dry. You don’t need all that brine to make your pizza soggy!
- Grate the cheese on the massive holes of a field grater. Usually, I grate pecorino cheese finely, utilizing the small holes of a field grater or a microplane zester. However for this pizza, I grate all of the cheeses (pecorino included!) on the massive holes of a field grater. I like how the massive shreds meld collectively, making a uniform tacky layer underneath the veggies. So put away that zester! You simply want the massive holes of your grater for this veggie pizza.
- Need one thing on the facet? You’ll be able to by no means go incorrect with pizza and salad! This veggie pizza is nice with my Italian chopped salad, Caesar salad, or arugula salad.
Vegetarian Pizza Recipe Variations
I like this vegetable pizza recipe as written, however if you wish to change it up, by all means, do! So many veggie pizza toppings could be nice right here.
- Add sautéed mushrooms, sliced olives, or mini broccoli florets.
- Use pepperoncini as a substitute of the jalapeño.
- Brush the crust with pesto as a substitute of pizza sauce.
- Substitute the pecorino with Parmesan cheese.
- No basil? Scatter the pizza with contemporary arugula as a substitute.
Let me know what variations you attempt!
Extra Favourite Pizza Recipes
In case you love this veggie pizza, attempt certainly one of these scrumptious pizza recipes subsequent:
Our favourite veggie pizza recipe! It is loaded with scrumptious vegetarian toppings like roasted pink peppers, artichokes, onions, and basil. Will probably be successful at your subsequent pizza evening!
- 1 pound pizza dough
- Cornmeal, for the baking sheet
- 1 cup shredded low-moisture part-skim mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup shredded Asiago cheese
- ½ cup shredded pecorino cheese, use the massive holes of a field grater
- ⅔ cup pizza sauce
- ½ small pink onion, thinly sliced
- 2 jarred roasted pink peppers, drained, patted dry, and thinly sliced
- 1 (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained, patted dry, and quartered or coarsely chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, thinly sliced, optionally available
- Further-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Purple pepper flakes, optionally available
- Contemporary basil leaves
Put together the pizza dough in keeping with this recipe, or if utilizing store-bought dough, let it sit at room temperature for 1 hour earlier than stretching.
Preheat the oven to 500°F (or as excessive as your oven goes). Sprinkle a bit of cornmeal within the middle of a giant baking sheet. Place the dough on the baking sheet and stretch it into a big oval.
In a small bowl, combine collectively the mozzarella, Asiago, and pecorino cheeses.
Unfold the sauce evenly onto the dough. High with the cheese combination, the onions, pink peppers, artichokes, and jalapeño, if utilizing. Drizzle with olive oil and bake for 10 to 13 minutes, or till the crust is browned across the edges and the cheese and toppings are frivolously browned. The timing will rely on the warmth of your oven.
Take away the pizza from the oven, sprinkle with pink pepper flakes, if desired, and prime with contemporary basil leaves. Slice and serve.