Our straightforward Baked French Toast casserole is calmly spiced, barely candy, completely delicate within the center, and has a buttery crisp prime. You may make this immediately or make it prematurely — even in a single day! Soar to the Simple Baked Cinnamon French Toast Recipe
Watch The Video
How We Make Baked French Toast From Scratch
I’ve at all times cherished French toast, and we’ve even shared a extra conventional stovetop French Toast recipe on the weblog, however this straightforward baked model has rapidly grow to be my favourite. It’s scrumptious and is ideal for making prematurely or for crowds.
We use high quality bread, eggs, a mixture of milk and cream for richness, maple syrup and vanilla extract for sweetness, and heat baking spices to make it further scrumptious.
The recipe is easy and good for making forward of time, which, if you’re making this to entertain, like, say for Thanksgiving morning or brunch, is ideal! Right here’s the essential course of:
- Dry out the bread. For the most effective baked French toast, it’s necessary that you simply use both day-old bread or that you simply rapidly dry out the bread within the oven earlier than mixing it with the opposite elements. This ensures that the bread absorbs all of the liquid and flavors of the French toast however that it doesn’t flip mushy. (Actually contemporary bread will flip to mush on you.)
- Make the French toast custard. To make this further flavorful, wealthy, and a little bit creamy within the center, we use fairly a couple of eggs, milk, and cream. In fact, milk will do, in the event you don’t have cream, however understand that the combination will lose a little bit of that beautiful richness. To taste the egg combination, we add maple syrup (I like utilizing pure maple syrup), vanilla extract, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, and salt.
- Dip the bread into the custard. Once we first made this recipe, we’d pour the custard over bread slices lined up in a baking dish. That labored, however not all of the bread was coated by the custard. That’s why earlier than pouring all of the custard over the bread, we rapidly dip every slice into it first.
- Add dipped bread to a baking dish and pour over the custard. I like lining the bread up in order that they seem like roof shingles. Then we pour the remainder of the custard on prime.
- Put aside for a minimum of half-hour or go away it in a single day. For the most effective French toast, you wish to give the bread an opportunity to soak up as a lot custard as potential. This could occur inside half an hour, however if you’re making the French toast forward of time, you’ll be able to cowl and refrigerate the dish in a single day!
- Bake. We bake coated for half-hour, uncover the dish, and bake one other 10 minutes or till the bread appears puffed and golden brown on prime. Earlier than baking the ultimate 10 minutes, we pour melted butter excessive of the bread and sprinkle cinnamon sugar throughout, including a buttery, crisp topping.
Baked French Toast Variations
This French toast casserole is scrumptious, as written, however that doesn’t imply that there aren’t a couple of modifications you can also make in order that it’s your personal. Listed here are a couple of ideas:
- Add dried fruit or nuts: For extra texture and coloration, add 1/2 cup or so of nuts or dried fruit to the custard earlier than pouring over the bread.
- Add pumpkin puree: For a pumpkin French toast, whisk 1/2 cup of pumpkin puree into the custard. Right here’s our Baked Pumpkin French Toast for inspiration.
- Add sliced bananas: After baking for half-hour, uncover the casserole dish, add the melted butter and sliced bananas, then prime with the cinnamon sugar topping. Bake one other 10 minutes.
- Add contemporary berries: Sprinkle contemporary berries over the baked casserole or add them to the dish earlier than baking.
- Make a cheesecake-inspired model: Beat 6 ounces of room temperature cream cheese with a little bit of maple syrup till whipped and barely candy. Dollop the cream cheese between slices of bread within the casserole dish earlier than baking.
Regularly Requested Questions
Can I make baked French Toast prematurely?
Completely! You may dry out the bread and put together the custard combination a pair days prematurely after which combine the 2 collectively and bake (simply preserve the custard coated within the fridge). Or you’ll be able to comply with our recipe as much as including the custard combination to the bread within the casserole dish, cowl, refrigerate in a single day, after which bake the subsequent day. Leftover French toast shops fairly nicely, too. Merely reheat within the microwave or oven.
Can I freeze baked French Toast?
Sure! After baking the French toast, let it cool, after which switch it to freezer-safe, hermetic containers. Freeze for a month (perhaps extra). If you end up able to eat it, reheat within the oven or the microwave till heat.
What sort of bread ought to I take advantage of?
For the most effective French toast, use high-quality bread, ideally from an area bakery. For French toast with a little bit extra texture, we suggest a bakery-style hearty bread like French bread, sourdough, or a country loaf. For French toast that’s extra delicate and buttery within the center, strive enriched breads like Brioche or Challah. It’s additionally greatest to make use of day-old bread because it soaks up the custard flavors extra simply with out changing into mushy. Should you don’t have the time to attend, don’t fear, we’ve constructed a step into our recipe that dries out the bread anyway.
Extra Crowd-Pleasant Breakfast Recipes
Excellent Baked French Toast
This straightforward baked French toast casserole is calmly spiced, barely candy, completely delicate within the center, and has a buttery crisp prime. You may make this immediately or make it prematurely. For in a single day French toast, preserve it coated and saved within the fridge in a single day, after which take out 20 minutes or so earlier than baking within the morning to provide it an opportunity to come back nearer to room temperature earlier than baking.
Makes 8 servings
Watch Us Make the Recipe
You Will Want
1 giant day previous bread loaf like brioche, challah, crusty sourdough or French bread, see notes
6 complete eggs
1 cup complete milk
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons actual maple syrup
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon floor cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon floor cardamom
1/8 teaspoon contemporary grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon advantageous sea salt
2 tablespoons butter plus extra for greasing pan
Optionally available toppings: Maple syrup, honey, powdered sugar and contemporary berries
Cinnamon Sugar Topping
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon floor cinnamon
- Put together French Toast
- Bake French Toast
Grease a 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish with butter and put aside.
Slice the bread into thick slices (1/2-inch to 1-inch thick). Reduce every bread slice in half, making two triangles.
In a big bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, cream, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, and salt till mixed.
Shortly dip every slice of bread into the milk combination and place it into the baking dish, arranging every slice in order that they’re angled and overlap barely (like roof shingles).
When all of the bread slices are organized within the baking dish, pour the remaining milk combination excessive of the bread. Cowl the dish with aluminum foil and refrigerate for a minimum of half-hour and as much as in a single day.
Warmth the oven to 350° Fahrenheit (175C). Bake the French toast, nonetheless coated, for half-hour.
After half-hour, make the cinnamon sugar topping by stirring 1 tablespoon of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon collectively. Soften 2 tablespoons of butter, uncover the French toast after which slowly pour the melted butter excessive, attempting to cowl a lot of the bread slices.
Scatter the cinnamon sugar over the bread, after which bake, uncovered, till the ideas of the bread are golden brown and the bread appears puffed, about 10 minutes. Cool for five minutes, minimize into 8 squares, and serve along with your favourite toppings.
Adam and Joanne’s Ideas
- Day previous or dried out bread is greatest for this. In case your bread nonetheless appears contemporary, slice it, after which place right into a 350° F oven for 10 to fifteen minutes in order that it dries out. You aren’t seeking to brown the bread, solely dry it out.
- Vitamin details: The vitamin details supplied beneath are estimates. We’ve used the USDA database to calculate approximate values.
Vitamin Per Serving: Serving Measurement 1 of 8 servings / Energy 285 / Complete Fats 11.5g / Saturated Fats 5.6g / Ldl cholesterol 158.7mg / Sodium 441.5mg / Carbohydrate 33.5g / Dietary Fiber 1.4g / Complete Sugars 9g / Protein 11.3g