Ensalada de Coditos con Jamon recipe is a Puerto Rican basic! This simple and flavorful macaroni salad is made with mayo, mustard, peas, ham, and every kind of different goodies. An actual crowd-pleaser!
An Straightforward, Traditional Puerto Rican Aspect Dish
Ensalada de coditos con jamon (translation: macaroni salad with ham) is one thing everybody in Puerto Rico loves. It’s a staple throughout the holidays, at events, for cookouts, you title it. For a extremely festive meal, particularly round Christmas, ensalada de coditos is served with Pernil – Puerto Rican slow-roasted pork shoulder with crispy pores and skin. Yum.
Along with the creamy, savory, full-bodied taste on this dish, ensalada de coditos con jamon is a straightforward recipe that shops nicely, which makes it excellent for mixing up prematurely. In Puerto Rico, many recipes for this pasta salad name for jamonilla, which is lunchmeat or Spam. Sure, Spam! However in case you’re probably not up for that, diced deli ham or chopped baked ham would work very nicely, too.
Not a fan of ham? Try my recipe for Ensalada De Coditos!
The Checklist of Components
These elements are what you have to to make genuine, Puerto-Rican-style pasta salad. After all, the recipe is versatile, so be happy to make substitutions as wanted.
- Pasta: Elbow pasta is a favourite for this dish.
- Eggs: Laborious boiled eggs add protein and nice texture.
- Mayonnaise: The bottom of the dressing is mayonnaise – be happy to make use of your favourite model.
- Yellow Mustard: Only a bit, for tanginess and further taste.
- Pimientos and Pimiento Juice: Fancy pimientos, also referred to as pimiento morrón, might be discovered within the ethnic meals aisle. They’re additionally typically stocked close to the pickles, olives, and so on. Chop up some for the salad, and reserve a few tablespoons of the briny juice for the dressing.
- Salt and Pepper: White pepper is nice, or you should utilize common pepper.
- Olive Oil and Butter
- Onion: For this recipe, I like to recommend finely grating the onion, somewhat than chopping or dicing.
- Peas: Search for canned peas marked “very younger candy peas” or “petit pois.” Drain the peas nicely earlier than including them to the salad.
- Ham: Diced ham, or Spam. I make this anytime I’ve any leftover Crockpot Ham too.
The right way to Make Ensalada de Coditos con Jamon
One of many secrets and techniques to this dish is coating the cooked pasta in somewhat melted butter earlier than including the opposite elements. Yum! Plus, the feel is out of this world.
- Prepare dinner the Pasta and Put together the Eggs. Deliver a giant pot of salted water to boil. I wish to have the water pretty salty, including about 2 tablespoons of salt to the water. Prepare dinner the pasta in line with the package deal instructions, aiming for an al dente texture. Whereas that’s cooking, peel and rinse the exhausting boiled eggs. Drop them right into a bowl, and use a fork to interrupt and mash them into small items. Set the eggs apart.
Make the Dressing. Because the elbow pasta continues to cook dinner, get out one other medium-sized bowl, and whisk collectively the dressing elements (mayonnaise, mustard, pimiento juice, salt, and pepper). Set this apart, additionally.
Grate the Onion and Mix with Olive Oil. Finely grate the onion. You are able to do this with a meals processor, blender, or the small holes of a cheese grater. Place in a small dish, add the olive oil, and stir along with a spoon. Let this sit for a bit.
Butter the Pasta. By now, the pasta might be about executed cooking. As soon as it’s al dente, drain it nicely and place it in a big bowl. Add the butter, and stir to let the butter soften and coat the entire elbows.
End the Pasta Salad. Now we’re prepared to combine all of it collectively! Scoop the mayonnaise dressing and grated onions with oil into the pasta. Stir gently however totally to mix. Then fold in your mashed exhausting boiled eggs, chopped pimientos, peas, and ham, being cautious to not smush the extra delicate elements.
Get pleasure from! The ensalada de coditos con jamon might be served immediately, or you’ll be able to chill it first. I extremely advocate chilling it for at the very least 4 hours earlier than serving – so refreshing.
As at all times, it’s nice to share these useful hints and cook dinner’s notes! Every simple thought is a good way to tweak or carry out the perfect on this beloved Puerto Rican pasta salad. Right here we go:
- Olives: In case you love the briny, salty style of olives, be happy to stir some in! This can be a actually standard variation. Go for about half a cup of sliced manzanilla olives.
- Celery: A little bit of diced celery (about one cup is ideal) is a good way so as to add crisp, cool, crunch. (Okay, now I’m actually hungry!)
- Cheese: Rising up, I bear in mind folks including diced cheddar cheese to their ensalada de coditos con jamon. I personally don’t take care of the addition of cheese, however lots of people find it irresistible!
- Chilled Is Nice: The colder this pasta salad is, the higher. I retailer it within the fridge till proper earlier than serving.
- Make Forward: As famous under, you’ll be able to retailer this within the fridge for as much as three days, which is tremendous useful if it’s essential make it prematurely. If the pasta salad dries out somewhat an excessive amount of throughout storage, no worries – simply add somewhat further mayo or olive oil, and provides it an excellent stir.
What to Serve with Ensalada de Conditos con Jamon
Since this can be a standard recipe to make for holidays and events, you’ll be able to at all times serve it together with your favourite social gathering meals, from summery barbecue dishes to a lineup of Thanksgiving casseroles. Listed here are just a few of my household’s tried-and-true favorites.
- Pernil: Pork shoulder (or leg) is marinated for at the very least 12 hours after which slow-roasted for about 5 extra hours. This conventional recipe makes the perfect Pernil ever, and is completely excellent for the vacations.
- Barbecue: Any form of barbecue dinner is ideal with ensalada de coditos con jamon. Do this Straightforward BBQ Oven Pulled Rooster for a family-friendly feast!
- Steak: A serving of Juicy Flank Steak, a scoop of this creamy pasta salad, and a few maduros can be simply in regards to the excellent weeknight dinner, don’t you suppose?
Storing the Leftovers
Leftover ensalada de coditos con jamon shops nicely within the fridge, for about three days. Preserve it tightly lined, or switch it to an hermetic container for optimum freshness. You could want so as to add somewhat further mayo if it dries out a short time within the fridge.
Can I Freeze Ensalada de Conditos con Jamon?
Sure, you’ll be able to freeze this for about three months, however bear in mind the dressing (mayo particularly) could separate when thawed…it doesn’t at all times occur, nevertheless it’s a threat you are taking when freezing a creamy pasta salad.. Simply place the cooled ensalada de coditos con jamon in an hermetic container, and retailer within the freezer till you’re prepared to make use of it. Thaw within the fridge earlier than serving.
Prepare dinner Time
- 16 oz elbow pasta
- 4 exhausting boiled eggs
- 1 cup mayo
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons pimento juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 small white onion, finely grated (about ½ c. grated white onion)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup fancy pimentos chopped (also referred to as pimiento morrón)
- 1 can (8.5 oz) very younger candy peas or petit pois, drained
- 1 cup diced ham (or Spam)
- In a big pot, cook dinner pasta in well-salted water (I normally add about 2 tablespoons of salt to the water) in line with package deal instructions, till al-dente.
- Whereas pasta is cooking, place the hard-boiled eggs in a small bowl and “mash” them in a bowl with a fork into small items. Put aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix the mayo, mustard, pimento juice, salt and white pepper, whisking till nicely mixed. Put aside.
- In a meals processor or blender, finely grate the onion after which add the olive oil. Put aside. (You can too grate the onion by hand with a cheese grater after which stir to mix with the olive oil.)
- As soon as pasta is finished cooking, drain the pasta and switch it to a big mixing bowl and add the butter. (The warmth from the pasta will soften the butter.) Stir the pasta till butter is melted and is coating the pasta.
- Add the mayo sauce and onion/olive oil combination to the buttered pasta and blend till nicely mixed. Then fold within the mashed hard-boiled egg, pimentos, candy peas and ham.
- You’ll be able to serve it instantly, however I like to recommend refrigerating it for at the very least 4 hours earlier than serving.
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 731Whole Fats: 55gSaturated Fats: 11gTrans Fats: 0gUnsaturated Fats: 42gLdl cholesterol: 164mgSodium: 783mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 4gSugar: 9gProtein: 17g
Extra Latin Recipes
This put up could include affiliate hyperlinks. Learn my disclosure coverage.