Hello, web friends. I don’t know the place you reside, however I dwell in Nashville, and let me inform you, I’m not live-laugh-loving proper now. It is a metropolis in each mourning and cautious celebration. It’s been so much to soak up these previous few weeks. I’ve tried to maintain it pretty gentle within the hyperlinks this week, though my coronary heart is something however. As at all times, thanks for being right here and making area for me to air issues out.
• I’m new-ish to working with a private stylist, so I used to be excited to profile Kina Monet for the Nashville Scene. We discuss Kina’s work, the origins of her love of classic and her favourite locations to buy. P.S. Kina can work with you nearly if you happen to dwell exterior Nashville.
• “I hold my eyes on the South for lots of causes. That is my residence. It’s the area of this nation’s unique sin. Nothing about the way forward for this nation could be resolved except it’s first resolved right here,” writes Tressie McMillan Cottom for The New York Instances.
• Excellent news for these of you who like to attend on the paperback launch of your favourite books. Mary Laura Philpott’s newest e-book, Bomb Shelter, is now in paperback! (Bookshop.org)
• “For the previous 10 days, following the Covenant College taking pictures right here in Nashville, at any time when I’ve observed a small youngster—maybe holding a dad or mum’s hand, skipping fortunately—I’ve thought: There’s a child who just isn’t lifeless,” Susannah Felts writes in Silent Screams. (Substack)
• I’m late to the sport, however I’m watching Shrinking on Apple TV+. I like it and it jogged my memory of this current episode of Preserve It the place the visitor is Jessica Williams. (Crooked)
• I’ve lengthy been impressed by meals writers and restaurant critics. What a enjoyable and extremely expert job! I completely am not one, however I not too long ago had the chance to jot down about certainly one of my favourite appetizers at certainly one of my favourite eating places: 615 Chutney: Frankies 615. (Nashville Scene)
• Roxane Homosexual’s Audacious Guide Membership is studying Matthew Desmond’s new e-book, Poverty, by America. I really like Roxane’s abstract of why she selected this e-book and why she hopes extra folks will learn it. (Bookshop.org, Substack)
• I’ve by no means been good at making cocktails, however I took a cooking class with Julia Turshen the place we made key lime margaritas and now I can’t cease making them. You’ll be able to hire the category right here. (Momence)
• In Nashville, there may be an Asian American Pacific Islanders (AAPI) writers meetup hosted by Yurina Yoshikawa. In her newest publication Yurina talks about window books vs. mirror books, how for a lot of her life, a lot of the tales she consumed, “have both been Japanese or White,” and her issues concerning the lack of AAPI range in publishing. (Substack)
• An argument for being slightly critter. (TikTok)