Prep 10 minutes
Prepare dinner 7 hrs
Complete 7 hrs 10 minutes
Simmered in a wealthy, spicy broth, this crockpot rooster pozole has an Aztec background. Loaded with hominy, shredded rooster, and chiles, this Mexican pozole recipe is a real delicacy made simple.
Straightforward Gradual Cooker Rooster Pozole
Cooked till thick and healthful, this crockpot Mexican pozole is simply as wealthy and flavorful because the one which was made lots of of years in the past. Filled with its conventional taste elements, this recipe has all of the hominy, shredded rooster, and chile you possibly can ask for.
Simply because it has a number of poblanos and serrano peppers, although, don’t really feel prefer it’s a large pot of “spicy.” It’s truly not. The tomatillos add loads of acidity and the rooster broth mellows issues out to maintain tears from rolling down your cheeks with each spoonful.
Topped with a number of lettuce, cilantro, and a lime wedge, this Mexican pozole retains the inexperienced coming. Nonetheless, you may simply as simply make it crimson to change issues up. No matter how cook dinner it, this simple crockpot pozole is certain to be a brand new favourite in your weeknight meal rotation.
In case you love this simple crockpot rooster pozole, make sure that to take a look at my favourite basic stovetop model of Pork Pozole Verde!
What Is Pozole?
Pozole is a prehispanic soup that was once made with human flesh as an providing to the Aztec gods. It consisted of blended dried chiles used to taste the broth, hominy, and meat. Thankfully, a pair hundred years have handed and human flesh was substituted for pork or rooster.
Completely different sorts of pozole have additionally sprung as much as embrace crimson, white, and inexperienced varieties. This recipe is taken into account pozole verde (or inexperienced pozole) as a result of it makes use of contemporary inexperienced chiles, therefore the identify and colour. It’s typically ready for particular events and is served with a number of toppings.
Your native Mexican grocery store could have all the things you want for this Mexican pozole. For the precise ingredient quantities, test the recipe card on the backside of this put up.
- Rooster broth – Veggie broth is okay.
- Onion – I choose white onion, however yellow onion additionally works.
- Poblano chiles – Be happy to make use of contemporary or frozen ones.
- Serrano chiles – These may be substituted for jalapeños.
- Garlic cloves – Please don’t use garlic powder for this recipe. You’ll want a great deal of it to make up for the flavour of contemporary garlic on this soup.
- Mexican oregano
- Floor cumin
- Boneless, skinless rooster thighs
- Canned hominy – Don’t go away it out or it gained’t be pozole.
- Bay leaves
Pozole Soup Topping Concepts
This can be a record of probably the most conventional pozole toppings:
- Chopped onion – Crimson or white is okay.
- Sliced radishes
- Queso fresco
With these variations for Mexican pozole verde, you would possibly as nicely open a restaurant.
- Use pork. Utilizing the identical quantity of pork shoulder or butt will yield a special however very conventional pozole verde.
- Use rotisserie rooster. Minimize down on cooking time by utilizing leftover rotisserie rooster.
- Add salsa verde. Don’t fear should you can’t discover tomatillos at your native grocery store or Mexican market. Substituting them for 3 1/2 cups of store-bought salsa verde is a fast repair.
- Make it crimson. Use 3 Roma tomatoes and 15 guajillo chiles as a substitute of the tomatillos and poblano chiles on this recipe. Take away the seeds and stems from the dried guajillos after which cowl them with boiling water in a bowl for quarter-hour. Mix the sauce with the tomatoes and rehydrated chiles for crimson pozole.
- Make it spicy. This pozole verde is fairly gentle, however you may positively make it spicier by including 1/2-1 jalapeño to the sauce.
The way to Make Crockpot Rooster Pozole
Mixing and throwing all the things into the crockpot for this Mexican pozole sounds simple, proper?
- Mix the sauce. Add the broth, tomatillos, onion, chiles, cilantro, garlic, oregano, thyme, cumin, and salt to a blender. Course of till you get a easy combination.
- Mix all the things. Place the rooster, hominy, and sauce within the crockpot. Add the bay leaves.
- Prepare dinner it. Set it to HIGH for 4-6 hours or LOW for 6-8 hours.
- Serve it. Take away the rooster from the crockpot. Use two forks to shred it and return it to the gradual cooker. Stir to mix. Ladle the Mexican pozole into bowls and add your favourite toppings.
Suggestions for Success
All it’s essential do to make one of the best pot of Mexican pozole is observe these easy suggestions:
- Pressure the sauce. In case you’re not a fan of out of the blue biting into tomatillo skins or feeling small seeds in your mouth, then pressure the blended sauce into the crockpot.
- Char the chiles. Though it’s not essential to char or peel the poblanos, doing so will add great taste to your pozole. You can too char the serranos, garlic, and onion too.
- Let it scale back. Letting the pozole simmer for longer thickens the soup, making it barely extra comforting.
- Ensure it’s pre-cooked. Dried hominy actually takes eternally to cook dinner, so skip the effort and ensure it’s pre-cooked. Most canned ones are, however at all times learn the label to ensure until you need to spend 8 hours simmering them.
- Make it on the range. In case you don’t have a gradual cooker, let all the things simmer in a big pot over medium-low warmth for 1-2 hours.
What to Serve with Mexican Pozole
Mexican pozole is often the primary dish, so it isn’t usually served with sides. Nonetheless, that doesn’t imply you may’t snack on some tortilla chips with Avocado Salsa or Refried Beans earlier than it hits the desk.
The way to Retailer & Reheat Leftovers
Refrigerate any cooled Mexican pozole in an hermetic container for as much as 5 days. To reheat it, microwave it for 30 seconds after which give it a stir. Microwave for one more 30 seconds or till heat. You can too warmth it in a pot over medium warmth for 5-6 minutes.
Can I Freeze This?
Completely! Pop any cooled leftovers right into a freezer-friendly bag or container. Freeze the pozole for as much as 3 months. Switch it to the fridge a day earlier than serving and reheat it as traditional.
Extra Straightforward Mexican Recipes
Prepare dinner Time
7 hours 10 minutes
For the Pozole
- 4 cups rooster broth
- 10 tomatillos, halved
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 massive poblano chilis, seeded and quartered
- 2 serrano chilis, seeded
- 1 bunch cilantro (plus extra for serving)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon Mexican oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1.5 lbs boneless, skinless rooster thighs
- 2 (15 ounce) cans hominy, drained and rinsed
- 2 bay leaves
- Chopped onion
- Sliced radishes
- Queso fresco
- Place the rooster broth, tomatillos, onion, chilis, cilantro, garlic cloves, oregano, thyme, cumin, and salt right into a blender and puree till easy.
- Place the rooster thighs and hominy within the gradual cooker, then pour within the inexperienced sauce and add the bay leaves.
- Set the gradual cooker on excessive for 4 to six hours or low for six to eight hours.
- Take away the rooster and shred, then return to the gradual cooker.
- Serve sizzling bowls of pozole with your entire favourite toppings.
Storage: Refrigerate any cooled Mexican pozole in an hermetic container for as much as 5 days. To reheat it, microwave it for 30 seconds after which give it a stir. Microwave for one more 30 seconds or till heat. You can too warmth it in a pot over medium warmth for 5-6 minutes.
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 676Complete Fats: 38gSaturated Fats: 12gTrans Fats: 0gUnsaturated Fats: 20gLdl cholesterol: 227mgSodium: 2922mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 7gSugar: 10gProtein: 56g
This put up could include affiliate hyperlinks. Learn my disclosure coverage.