These Creamy Scalloped Au Gratin Potatoes are so tacky and flavorful! And make an exquisite side-dish for Thanksgiving, Easter, Christmas, or any evening you’re craving consolation meals.
Scalloped Potatoes and Au Gratin
Thanksgiving is lower than per week away! And I’m dying to know: what side-dishes are you make? Mashed potatoes? Cranberry Sauce? Inexperienced Bean Casserole? Candy Potatoes? Biscuits? So many selections… you would actually make a complete meal out of sides!
So forgive me for throwing another possibility within the ring… however I might be remiss if I didn’t share this heavenly au gratin potatoes recipe with you! That includes russet potato slices in a heavy cream cheese sauce that’s too-die-for scrumptious.
The secret is thinly sliced potatoes! And ensuring you utilize russet potatoes, which can give us the feel we’re searching for. Different potatoes received’t maintain up nicely within the cream sauce, and switch to mush or launch to a lot water and switch the sauce into soup.
Au Gratin Potatoes Elements
- Butter: You’ll soften the butter earlier than including the shallots.
- Shallots: Candy and refined, and cooked till golden brown… I simply love the flavour these add. However in a pinch, candy yellow onion could also be used as an alternative.
- Spices & Herbs: garlic, thyme, nutmeg, cayenne pepper and Dijon Mustard. Plus, salt and pepper!
- Heavy Cream: Don’t substitute this with milk and even half and half!
- Rooster Broth: I actually love utilizing bone broth right here as a result of it provides an ideal taste. However in a pinch, common hen broth works effective. And when you’re a vegetarian family, be happy to make use of vegetable broth.
- Potatoes: As I discussed earlier, it’s important you utilize russets right here. You’ll need to peel them use a mandolin or sharp knife to chop them into 1/8-inch slices
- Cheese: Fontina, gruyere cheese, and finely grated parmesan cheese make our tacky creamy sauce flavorful and so scrumptious! And in my view, units this aside from different au gratin recipes.
Easy methods to Make Potatoes Au Gratin
- Soften the butter, then toss within the shallots and sauté till softened and barely caramelized, about 10 minutes. However this might take longer. Don’t skimp right here, as this step provides a ton of taste.
- Add the garlic and thyme and proceed cooking for one more minute, however don’t allow them to brown right here! Then stir within the cream, broth and remaining herbs and seasonings.
- Add within the potatoes and prepare dinner till the potatoes are simply fork-tender, about 10 minutes. Don’t over prepare dinner, the potatoes bake once more within the oven and can soften extra.
- Scrape the potato combination right into a shallow massive baking dish, sprinkle with the cheeses evenly over the potatoes, then bake till effervescent and golden brown, about 15 to 18 minutes. Not like many au gratin recipes, there’s no have to cowl with foil and bake as a result of the bake time could be very quick.
- You may garnish with just a few sprigs of thyme, for a reasonably presentation! And serve heat.
Scrumptious with turkey after all, however these scalloped potatoes are additionally nice with ham, hen, or only a easy facet salad! You may’t go improper when serving them.
Extra Potato Recipes:
Creamy Scalloped Au Gratin Potatoes
Creamy Scalloped Au Gratin Potatoes are so tacky and flavorful! And make an exquisite side-dish for Thanksgiving, Easter, Christmas, or any evening you are craving consolation meals.
- 2 Tablespoons (28g) unsalted butter
- 3 shallots peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon contemporary thyme leaves finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon floor nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 and 1/2 cups (340ml) heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup (113ml) hen bone broth
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 kilos (908g) russet potatoes peeled and lower into 1/8-inch slices
- 1/2 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
Preheat the oven to 400 levels (F).
Soften the butter in a big pot or dutch oven over medium-high warmth. Add the shallots and sauté till softened and start to caramelize, about 10 minutes.
Add the garlic and thyme and proceed cooking for one more minute, or till aromatic.
Stir within the cream, broth, salt, black pepper, nutmeg, cayenne pepper, and dijon mustard and prepare dinner for two minutes, stirring virtually continually.
Add within the potatoes and produce to a simmer. Proceed cooking till the potatoes are simply fork-tender, about 10 minutes.
As neatly as probably, scrape the potato combination right into a shallow 9×13-inch baking dish (or related capability).
Sprinkle the cheeses evenly over the potatoes, beginning with the fontina, then including the gruyere, and ending with the parmesan. Bake till effervescent and golden brown, about 15 to 18 minutes. Sprinkle with just a few thyme springs, if desired.
Let sit for 10 minutes earlier than serving.