One-Pot Creamy Sausage Rigatoni is an easy-to-make weeknight dinner made in simply half-hour! This rigatoni recipe options primary components present in most grocery shops. Every thing is cooked in a single pan on the stove-top: Italian sausage, creamy tomato sauce, and pasta. It is restaurant-quality consolation meals made at house!
One-Pan, 30-Minute Recipe
This creamy pasta dish is flavor-packed, straightforward to make, and appears like the principle course from a nice Italian restaurant. The great thing about the creamy sausage rigatoni is that it may be made on a busy weeknight as a result of it takes solely half-hour. Every thing is cooked in a single pot on the stovetop. Not solely is it straightforward to make, but it surely additionally makes a lovely presentation! You possibly can actually make this improbable Italian recipe for particular events to deal with your loved ones, pals, and visitors. Sausage Rigatoni has earned the spot of one among my household’s favourite pasta recipes! In case you like extra Italian sausage pasta inspiration, do not miss creamy sausage gnocchi or a well-liked recipe on my web site: Italian sausage pasta with spinach and mushrooms.
Basic rigatoni recipe
Rigatoni is historically used with thick sauces, resembling bolognese or a wealthy alfredo sauce. This recipe sticks to the custom through the use of the wealthy creamy tomato-based sauce and crumbled Italian sausage. Rigatoni is pasta with ridges which makes an ideal floor for sauces to coat. Ridged tubular pasta like rigatoni is ideal for thick, creamy sauces as thick pasta sauces stick higher to this type of pasta due to the ridges on the pasta floor.
Why this recipe works
- Convey Italy to your dinner desk. Italian sausage is mixed along with rigatoni pasta, garlic, Italian seasoning, cream, marinara sauce (or some other tomato pasta sauce), and a sprinkle of crimson pepper flakes and recent herbs on high. The flavour mixture is wonderful.
- This easy rigatoni dinner is made in half-hour and is ideal for busy weeknights or as a weekend meal.
- Cleanup is a breeze. Every thing is cooked in a single pan on the stovetop, so the cleanup is minimal.
- Rigatoni is a tube-shaped quick pasta with ridges down its size.
- The sort of pasta originated in Italy, and the phrase rigatoni comes from the Italian phrase rigate which suggests ridged or lined.
- Rigatoni is likely one of the most favourite pasta dishes in Sicily, Italy, the place it’s typically used within the conventional Sicilian dish Pasta Alla Norma (sautéed eggplant tossed with tomato sauce and topped with ricotta salata cheese and basil).
- Rigatoni recipes often contain thick sauces, resembling bolognese or a wealthy alfredo sauce.
What is an effective substitute for rigatoni?
As a result of each rigatoni and penne are tubular-shaped quick pasta, penne is your subsequent most suitable option. Do remember the fact that pasta with ridges, resembling rigatoni, is best for thick sauces just like the creamy tomato sauce on this recipe as a result of the sauce will stick higher to the skin floor with ridges. So if you’re to make use of penne, be sure you use penne with ridges.
How lengthy to cook dinner rigatoni?
It is best to cook dinner rigatoni al dente. To cook dinner pasta al dente means to cook dinner the pasta in order that it is tender but agency on the core of the noodle. The pasta cooked al dente ought to really feel agency to the chunk, exhausting below your enamel, whereas being tender but not mushy.
- To realize this fascinating pasta texture you usually should boil pasta 2 to three minutes shorter than regular. As an example, in case your bundle directions let you know to cook dinner pasta for 12 minutes in boiling water that implies that to cook dinner your pasta al dente, you need to cook dinner it for 10 minutes (2 minutes much less) as soon as the water begins boiling.
What sort of sausage to make use of?
- Crumbled Italian Sausage. I used 15 oz of crumbled delicate Italian sausage. I used the delicate variety however solely as a result of my native grocery retailer was out of spicy Italian sausage. This recipe tastes good with some spice in it!
- Italian sausage hyperlinks. You too can use Italian sausage in casings. I might take away the casings and slice the sausage.
- Hen or turkey sausage is one other nice possibility.
- Past Sausage, a model is a good possibility for a plant-based, vegetarian model.
The Instructions – The best way to make sausage rigatoni
1) First, you’ll cook dinner crumbled Italian sausage with 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium warmth in a big, high-sided, heavy-bottomed skillet on the stovetop. As soon as the sausage is totally cooked by, drain any grease or liquid.
2) Subsequent, you’ll add the remaining components into the identical skillets. Begin with minced garlic and Italian seasoning:
3) Then, add raw rigatoni:
4) Add hen broth and heavy cream:
5) Add tomato sauce:
6) Combine every thing nicely.
7) Then, convey every thing to a boil, cowl with the lid and cook dinner for about 10 or quarter-hour till the pasta is cooked.
8) After that, add recent spinach to the skillet and cook dinner on decrease warmth till the spinach wilts to your liking.
5) Lastly, give every thing a very good stir, and season with salt and pepper, or crimson pepper flakes, if desired!
Variations and substitutions
Sausage rigatoni is a versatile recipe that’s straightforward to regulate to no matter you have got out there.
- Sausage. Use Italian delicate or spicy sausage, smoked sausage, andouille sausage, or cajun sausage.
- Veggies. Add greens of your alternative. I used plenty of spinach on this recipe. You too can add mushrooms, broccoli, cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, and onions.
- Pasta. Any form of quick pasta will work for this one-pan dinner. Rigatoni, penne, farfalle (bow-tie), fusilli (spiral pasta), and so on.
- Tomato sauce. I used a store-bought tomato-based sauce for pasta that is available in a glass jar. You should use any variety you want: tomato basil, roasted tomatoes, arrabbiata. You too can use canned diced tomatoes or canned crushed tomatoes as a substitute of tomato sauce.
Cooking suggestions and suggestions
- Use a big high-sided heavy-bottomed skillet. It is the most effective form of pan to cook dinner rigatoni on the stovetop. Thinner pans will trigger the sauce, sausage, and pasta to stay to the underside of the pan.
- Use crimson wine. Add a splash of dry crimson wine (about ¼ cup) to the creamy tomato-based sauce, in case you like. It’s going to add richness and taste to the sauce, and is a really Italian factor to do!
- Spice it up! Sausage rigatoni pasta is the form of recipe that advantages from a bit of warmth. Use crimson pepper flakes to boost this dish, particularly if the sausage will not be spicy.
- Use crumbled sausage or take away casings from the sausage and slice the sausage into small items. Do that even in case you use sausage hyperlinks. This may make the feel of the entire dish significantly better!
- Make this recipe gluten-free through the use of gluten-free quick pasta – there are a lot of choices in the marketplace proper now.
- Toppings. High the pasta with grated Parmesan cheese, crimson pepper flakes, and chopped recent herbs, resembling parsley or basil.
- Salt. Normally, most sausages are fairly salty, so do not add any salt in any respect or add little or no as the entire dish would possibly already be salty sufficient from sausage.
Storage and reheating suggestions
Sadly, creamy sauces are infamous for being troublesome to reheat. The cream-based sauce solidifies actually quick within the fridge, and while you reheat it, it loses its silky creamy consistency. So long as you might be conscious of the actual fact the leftover sausage rigatoni could have extra inferior texture than freshly made, listed below are my suggestions:
- Fridge. Retailer creamy sausage rigatoni in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 3 days.
- Freezer. I don’t advocate freezing this dish.
- Reheat within the microwave oven. Reheat the refrigerated sausage pasta in a microwave oven for about 30 seconds. Stir, style, and reheat for 30 seconds extra, if wanted. Repeat. You may need so as to add a splash of milk or heavy cream to skinny out the sauce.
- Reheat on the stovetop. Reheat this dish in a big, high-sided skillet on the stovetop on low-medium warmth. When utilizing this methodology, add a small quantity of heavy cream, or half-and-half, or milk to skinny out the sauce when reheating.
What to serve with sausage rigatoni
- Bread. Serve this straightforward recipe with one thing equally easy, resembling a slice of store-bought, heat Italian bread, garlic bread, or olive bread loaf. Sausage rigatoni additionally pairs nicely with baguette or sourdough bread. A slice of heat bread can be scrumptious to dip into the creamy tomato sauce.
- Easy salad. As a result of sausage rigatoni has a wealthy and creamy sauce, I extremely advocate serving a beneficiant serving of salad to associate with all that wealthy creaminess. I might recommend a primary spinach or arugula salad, in all probability sprinkled with toasted nuts, a small quantity of shredded Parmesan or crumbled goat cheese, and dressed along with your favourite salad dressing!
Different sausage recipes you would possibly like
Creamy Sausage Rigatoni (One-Pan, 30-Minute Meal)
One-Pot Creamy Sausage Rigatoni is an easy-to-make weeknight dinner made in simply half-hour! This rigatoni recipe options primary components present in most grocery shops. Every thing is cooked in a single pan on the stove-top: Italian sausage, creamy tomato sauce, and pasta. It is restaurant-quality consolation meals!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 15 oz Italian sausage crumbled
- 8 oz rigatoni raw
- 1 cup hen broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning or Herbs from Provence
- 15 oz tomato sauce resembling tomato pasta sauce or marinara
- 5 oz recent spinach
- salt and coarsely floor black pepper to style
- crimson pepper flakes to style
Warmth 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium warmth in a big, high-sided, heavy-bottomed skillet on the stovetop.
Add crumbled sausage and cook dinner on medium warmth for about 5 minutes, crumbling it, till it’s cooked by. Drain any grease or liquid.
To the identical skillet with sausage, add raw rigatoni, hen broth, heavy cream, minced garlic, Italian seasoning, and tomato sauce.
Convey to a boil on medium warmth and stir every thing nicely. Cowl with a lid, and permit the pasta to cook dinner for about 10 to fifteen minutes on medium warmth, whereas the sauce boils.
Cook dinner till pasta reaches an “al dente” texture. Stir often to stop pasta and sausage from sticking to the underside of the pan.
Add recent spinach, and cook dinner on medium warmth, stirring often for a few minutes, till the spinach wilts to your liking.
Alternatively, simply take away the skillet from warmth, high sausage rigatoni with spinach, cowl the pan with the lid. Let the spinach wilt, off warmth, within the residual warmth in a lined skillet for about 4 minutes. Then, stir.
Cook dinner longer if you need a thicker sauce.
Combine every thing nicely. Take away from warmth.
Season with salt, freshly floor coarse black pepper, and crimson pepper flakes in case you like.
Tip: use your greatest judgment in regards to the salt. If the sausage is salty sufficient, you won’t want so as to add any further salt.
The dietary info on this web site is simply an estimate and is supplied for comfort and as a courtesy solely. The accuracy of the dietary info for any recipe on this web site will not be assured. It shouldn’t be used as an alternative to knowledgeable nutritionist’s recommendation.