Prep 10 minutes
Cook dinner 55 minutes
Complete 1 hr 5 minutes
Baked acorn squash bowls are crammed with a creamy roasted veggie soup full of aromatics and spices like thyme and cinnamon. This Creamy Fall Soup in Acorn Squash Bowls is topped with pumpkin seeds and toasted sage, it’s a show-stopping entree for fall-themed meals.
Creamy Butternut Squash Soup
This creamy butternut squash soup is served in attractive, baked acorn squash bowls for the final word show-stopping entree. It’s not precisely an easy recipe, although. You have to to plan forward. Regardless of this, it’s value each little bit of effort.
Roasted butternut squash, candy potatoes, and carrots are the primary elements. Sautéed onion and garlic additionally assist construct the flavour profile with a little bit of spiciness. Lastly, aromatics like thyme and sage add delicate herby, minty notes. Though naturally candy and buttery, the soup’s creaminess truly comes from coconut milk. Blended till clean, this soup is reassuring, decadent, and ideal.
For a beautiful crunch, pumpkin seeds and toasted sage are added on high. Nonetheless, different toppings like crispy bacon and parmesan cheese go nice with it too. A swirl of heavy cream additionally makes it immediately prettier. Served with different dishes like pork chops and turkey, it’s the right addition to any fall-themed meal.
Why You’ll Love This Fall Soup
All of the highlight will probably be on this soup the minute it hits the desk, however listed here are extra causes to like it:
- Nutrient-rich – Made with roasted veggies and coconut milk, this creamy fall soup is extraordinarily wholesome. Plus, the bowls get additional factors for vitamins!
- Fall-themed – Full of acorn squash, butternut squash, candy potatoes, and carrots, it has all of the flavors of fall veggies.
- One-pot – There’s a baking tray concerned, however the precise cooking occurs in a single pot.
There’s fairly a handful of elements, however it’s completely value it. Scroll all the way down to the recipe card on the backside of this publish for precise ingredient quantities.
For the Squash Bowls
- Acorn squash – Be happy to make use of small butternut squash too.
- Olive oil – Canola, vegetable, and corn oil are additionally superb.
- Sugar – Granulated and lightweight brown sugar each work for this recipe.
- Salt and pepper
For the Soup
- Olive oil
- Yellow onion – This has a a lot mellower style, however you can too use white onion.
- Garlic – Nothing beats recent garlic. Nonetheless, you possibly can add 1/4 tsp of garlic powder for each clove within the recipe.
- Butternut squash
- Candy potato – Pink yams are an awesome substitute.
- Vegetable broth – Hen broth works too. If potential, attempt to use the low-sodium sort.
- Recent thyme – For each tsp of recent thyme, you should use 1 tsp of dried thyme.
- Sage leaves – It provides a slight minty taste, however you can too go away it out.
- Bay leaves
- Black pepper
- Cinnamon – When you don’t have any, including 1/2 tsp of floor nutmeg could make up for among the earthiness.
- Full-fat coconut milk – Ensure that it’s unsweetened or your soup will style extra like dessert. You too can use heavy cream.
- Kale chips – Carrot chips and beet chips are nice substitutes.
- Pomegranate arils
- Pumpkin seeds – Sesame seeds and toasted almonds add related nuttiness and crunch.
- Toasted sage leaves
The way to Make Acorn Squash Bowls
Making these bowls is straightforward, simply be certain they’re fork-tender so you possibly can truly eat them.
- Put together the tray. Line a baking sheet with foil and grease it with non-stick baking spray. You too can use parchment paper with out the necessity for any non-stick spray. Set it apart. Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Scoop out the seeds. Use a pointy knife to rigorously lower the acorn squash is half. Then use a spoon to take away the seeds, being cautious to not carve an excessive amount of into the squash. Brush it with olive oil, sprinkle with sugar, and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake. With the flesh side-up, pop the acorn squash into the oven for 20 minutes. Flip it over so the pores and skin is now dealing with up and bake for one more 25 minutes. Take away from the oven once they’re fork-tender and set the bowls apart. Baking time will depend upon the dimensions and quantity of flesh on every acorn squash.
The way to Make Creamy Butternut Squash Soup with Candy Potatoes & Carrots
Acorn squash bowls apart, this butternut squash soup could be very easy. Coconut milk is the important thing to its creaminess.
- Roast the veggies. Unfold the butternut squash, candy potato, and carrots within the ready baking sheet. Ensure that they don’t overlap an excessive amount of, so do it in two trays if you must. Roast them because the acorn squash bowls bake. Roast within the oven for 20 minutes (at 400 F).
- Sauté the onion. Warmth the olive oil in a big pot over medium warmth. Add the onions and sauté for 4 minutes, stirring usually. Add the garlic, stir, and cook dinner for one more minute. The combination must be aromatic.
- Pour the broth in. Add the roasted veggies, broth, thyme, sage, bay leaves, cinnamon, salt and pepper into the pot. Combine to mix. Carry to a simmer and let the combination cook dinner for 20 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk. Pour the coconut milk in, stir effectively, and let the soup cook dinner for one more 5 minutes. Take away it from the warmth. Use an immersion blender to course of the soup till it’s clean. You too can use a daily blender, however you may need to do it in batches after which pour it again within the pot.
- Serve. Take away the roasted acorn squash from the oven and fill with scorching soup. High every bowl with kale chips, pomegranate arils, pumpkin seeds or a spoonful of cream and swirl it in.
Ideas for Success
Don’t let something get in the way in which of those excellent acorn squash bowls crammed with creamy soup. Listed here are some tricks to make them:
- Skip the bowls. The squash bowls are an essential part of this soup, visually and taste-wise. Nonetheless, you possibly can skip making them for those who’re in a rush. Serve the soup in common bowls as a substitute.
- Don’t overcook the bowl. Bake the acorn squash bowls till fork-tender after which take away them from the oven. Overcooking will soften them an excessive amount of, which means they gained’t maintain up effectively to make use of as bowls.
- Cook dinner the veggies within the broth. Roasting the veggies offers the soup a extra complicated taste profile, however you can too cook dinner them within the broth. You have to additional time for them to cook dinner by, although.
- Add beet. Cube beet and roast it with the remainder of the veggies. It’ll add a pleasant sweetness to the soup.
This creamy fall soup is already spectacular sufficient as is, however including a pair extra toppings can take it to the subsequent stage. Bits of crispy bacon, shredded parmesan cheese, and a drizzle of olive oil can add crunch, tang, and richness.
Attempt it with my Air Fryer Turkey Breast, Cranberry Apple Stuffed Pork Chops, and Crockpot Ham as mains. With easy sides like my Straightforward Inexperienced Bean Casserole and Creamy Ham Casserole, it’ll be the perfect fall-inspired meal you’ve had in a very long time.
The way to Retailer Leftovers
As soon as cooled, you possibly can retailer the soup in an hermetic container. Refrigerate it for as much as 5 days. Reheat it by popping it into the microwave for 1-2 minutes or till heat. You too can warmth it in a pot over medium warmth for 3-4 minutes.
Can I Freeze Butternut Squash Soup?
Pour the soup right into a freezer-friendly container as soon as it has come to room temperature. Freeze it for as much as 3 months. Switch it to the fridge the evening earlier than you’re able to eat it and place it on the counter the subsequent day to complete thawing.
Reheat it within the microwave for 1-3 minutes or in a pot over medium warmth for 3-4 minutes. If the coconut milk has separated, mix the soup for 30 seconds to include it once more.
Yield: 4 servings
Creamy Fall Soup in Acorn Squash Bowls
Wealthy and decadent, this creamy fall soup in acorn squash bowls is full of roasted veggies, aromatics, and coconut milk.
Cook dinner Time
1 hour 5 minutes
For the squash bowls:
- 2 medium acorn squash, halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Salt and pepper, to style
For the soup:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 giant cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound butternut squash, peeled, and lower into 1” cubes
- 1 candy potato, peeled, lower into 1” cubes
- 4 giant carrots, peeled, lower into 1/2” items
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon recent thyme
- 4 sage leaves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly floor black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup full fats coconut milk
- Kale chips
- Pomegranate arils
- Pumpkin seeds
- Toasted sage leaves
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or foil (if utilizing foil, spray with non-stick spray).
- Minimize the acorn squash in half and scoop out the seeds (see suggestions), brush with olive oil and sprinkle with sugar, salt and pepper.
- Place on the cookie sheet lower facet up and bake for 20 minutes, then flip the other way up and proceed baking for one more 25 minutes.
- To make the soup: Place the butternut squash, candy potato, and carrots, on a foil lined cookie sheet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray (or parchment paper), and place within the oven with the squash bowls for 20 minutes.
- As soon as the diced vegetable combination is finished cooking, warmth the olive oil in a big soup pan, then add the onions and sauté for 4 minutes, stirring usually. Then add the garlic and cook dinner for one more minute.
- Add the roasted greens, the broth, thyme, sage, bay leaves, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Carry to a simmer and cook dinner for 20 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and cook dinner for five extra minutes. Take away from the burner and mix until clean with an immersion blender. (When you should not have an immersion blender, add half the soup to the blender and mix until clean. Pour into a big bowl. Purée the rest of the soup and pour all of the soup again into the pan.)
- Take away the roasted acorn squash from the oven and fill with the new soup. Serve the soup with kale chips, pomegranate arils, pumpkin seeds or a spoon of cream on high.
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 386Complete Fats: 21gSaturated Fats: 12gTrans Fats: 0gUnsaturated Fats: 8gLdl cholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1060mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 12gSugar: 13gProtein: 6g
Extra Fall Soup Recipes:
This publish could include affiliate hyperlinks. Learn my disclosure coverage.