I hit the jackpot with this chewy, buttery, Loaded Cowboy Cookies Recipe! Scrumptious oats, chocolate, coconut, and pecans in each chunk!
Whether or not you name these Cowboy Cookies or Ranger Cookies, this Oatmeal Cookies Recipe is an amped-up, out-of-this-world cookie you have to make.
Why You Should Make
The primary-ever cowboy cookies I baked had been an enormous disappointment. The recipe known as for Rice Krispies which misplaced their crispness inside hours. It took me over a decade to get better from that fiasco and to make one other batch. It was time to offer these one other shot!
- The inspiration for this recipe for these straightforward cowboy cookies within the New York Instances, attributed to Laura Bush circa 2000. They had been the winner of the Household Circle’s presidential candidates’ wives cookie contest the place the Democrat vs Republican competitors was moved to the kitchen. I can see why this scrumptious, chewy oatmeal cookies recipe gained!
- This recipe makes a HUGE batch they usually freeze fantastically. You’ll have a stash of ready-to-go snacks and dessert in your freezer.
- These cookies are loaded with chocolate chips, nuts, coconut, and oatmeal. You may simply tweak the recipe in your palate, swapping out completely different chocolate chips or nuts, or leaving out the coconut. They’re very versatile.
- Kitchen Staples – Flour, Baking Soda, Salt, Sugar, Brown Sugar
- Eggs, Butter – Have at room temperature for simpler incorporation.
- Baking Powder – Not like baking soda, baking powder often expires earlier than you utilize it up. Test the expiration date earlier than utilizing. When you’d like to make sure, place a spoonful right into a bowl or cup crammed with very popular water. In case your baking powder is energetic, it can bubble vigorously. If it doesn’t, exchange earlier than making the dough.
- Chocolate Chips – I take advantage of Ghirardelli semisweet chocolate. Be at liberty to make use of bittersweet and even milk chocolate chips.
- Vanilla Extract – Use actual vanilla extract, by no means artificially flavored.
- Oatmeal – Use old style rolled oats, not fast oats.
- Coconut – Use sweetened, angel flake coconut.
- Pecans – For the perfect taste, toast your nuts earlier than utilizing to deliver out their important oils. This may be performed in a skillet or on a sheet pan within the oven at 350° for 6-8 minutes.
As common, I needed to tweak this recipe for loaded cowboy cookies a bit. I eradicated the cinnamon and decreased the quantity of pecans. After all, Invoice would have beloved these cookies sans oatmeal, coconut, and pecans. Yeah, these could be plain ol’ chocolate chip cookies! Some issues by no means change.
- Get out your butter and eggs about 60 minutes earlier than you begin making your cookie dough so they arrive to room temperature. This ensures the dough will combine correctly.
- Whisking collectively your dry elements earlier than you combine them into the dough helps stop clumps of baking soda, baking powder, or an excessive amount of salt in anyone cookie.
- I like utilizing my paddle attachment if utilizing a mixer to make cookies. This prevents the dough from aerating which may occur whenever you beat with a whisk attachment. When you use a hand mixer, simply watch out to not overbeat.
- The opposite choice is to combine by hand with a picket spoon.
- These loaded cowboy cookies had been every made with 1/4 cup of cookie dough! They’re BIG cookies. Go forward and use a rounded tablespoon filled with dough and bake for 10-12 minutes for smaller cookies.
- I discussed all my tweaks above, however be at liberty so as to add again in 1 tablespoon of cinnamon and an additional 1/2 cup of pecans, or nut of your option to this oatmeal cookies recipe.
- You would additionally use an alternate chocolate chip like bittersweet, white chocolate, or butterscotch. Or how about changing among the chocolate with toffee bits?
- In order for you completely spherical cookies, roll the dough between your two palms to type balls.
- Then, once they come out of the oven, faucet them into good circles whereas they’re nonetheless scorching utilizing a spatula. It really works like a attraction.
Make a Smaller Batch
PRO-Tip: this recipe makes an enormous quantity of dough, and when you make smaller cookies you’ll have tons and much! The measurements can simply be divided into thirds and you may also bake up extra petite cookies (I like to recommend a rounded tablespoon as a substitute of the 1/4 cup of dough known as for within the recipe when you desire a smaller model. Simply lower the baking time.).
PRO-Tip: When you determine to make 1/3 of the recipe, listed below are the quantities for the smaller batch:
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (Test the expiration date.)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8+ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup old style oatmeal
- 2/3 cup angel flake coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
Ceaselessly Requested Questions
There is no such thing as a definitive reply to this query, however a few theories. First, the identify Cowboy Cookies could have come about as a result of this recipe was developed or a minimum of grew to become fashionable in Texas. My recipe was tailored from Laura Bush, spouse of our native Texan president, George W. Bush.
The opposite thought was that these Cowboy Cookies, also called Ranger Cookies, had been sturdy sufficient for cowboys to tackle the path. With oats and nuts, there’s some dietary worth, and naturally energy.
Each are loaded oatmeal cookies, with Ranger Cookies thought of a subcategory of Cowboy Cookies. Cowboy cookies are likely to include oatmeal, coconut, nuts, and cinnamon. Then again, Ranger cookies have Rice Krispies and chocolate chips.
However, on this case, the cinnamon was eradicated and chocolate chips had been added. So many instances these phrases are used interchangeably.
Sure, attempt walnuts or almonds as a substitute of the pecans when you desire a type of.
Undoubtedly. Omitting the coconut won’t change the end result of the recipe.
A few ideas for making chewy cookies embody not overmixing as soon as the flour is added, utilizing brown sugar (already within the recipe; it’s moister than white sugar), and never overbaking.
As soon as they’ve cooled utterly, retailer in an hermetic container at room temperature for 3-5 days. After that, they are going to freeze nicely, additionally in an hermetic container, for as much as 3 months
You Could Additionally Like:
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups (3 sticks) butter, at room temperature
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1½ cups brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 cups old style oatmeal
- 2 cups angel flake coconut (sweetened)
- 1½ cups chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 levels. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk collectively flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
- In a really giant bowl, beat butter till easy and creamy. Steadily beat in sugars, and mix totally.
- Add eggs one after the other, beating after every addition. Combine in vanilla.
- Stir within the flour combination till simply mixed. Stir in chocolate chips, oats, coconut, and pecans.
- For every cookie, scoop out 1/4 cup of cookie dough, roll it into balls, and house them 3 inches aside on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes, till edges are flippantly browned. Middles could have areas that seem barely underdone. Take away cookies to a rack to chill.
I take advantage of salted butter on this recipe. When you use unsalted butter, you could need to enhance the salt.
Make one-third of this recipe for a smaller batch of cookies.
Scoop rounded tablespoons of dough for smaller cookies and bake for 10-12 minutes or till flippantly browned.
In case your cookies aren’t completely spherical once they come out of the oven, use your spatula and faucet the perimeters whereas the cookies are scorching to type extra round cookies.
As an Amazon Affiliate and member of different affiliate packages, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 315Whole Fats: 18gSaturated Fats: 10gTrans Fats: 0gLdl cholesterol: 34mgSodium: 165mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 3gSugar: 23gProtein: 4g