*This submit could include affiliate hyperlinks. Please see my disclosure for extra particulars!*
A scrumptious vanilla traybake cake topped with freshly whipped cream and berries, the proper coronation cake for King Charles!
I needed to make a cake that basically would swimsuit making and serving for any celebrations for King Charles coronation, and this one is ideal. It’s simple, scrumptious, mild and enjoyable to make! It’s a showstopper, however nonetheless simple to serve.
It’s the King’s coronation in a number of weeks time, so it appears acceptable to start out planning the celebrations. Avenue social gathering? Watching it on TV? Having a stunning financial institution vacation? Nicely a number of bakes will all the time be a preferred thought.
I needed to make one thing that suited the theme – and with a large Union Jack of fruit on prime, it’s arduous to overlook why this one is good. It’s a easy thought, however because it’s fairly a fundamental cake with fundamental flavours, it’s simple to make for the event, and can all the time be the very first thing snapped up from the desk.
For the cake I made a decision to remain tremendous fundamental, and go for a preferred sponge base. My faculty cake sponge is all the time highly regarded because it’s a fundamental sponge, and I add vanilla to it. That is after all optionally available, you’ll be able to flavour it any method – however I went vanilla.
- Butter – For the sponge you need to use both a baking unfold, or a block unsalted butter at room temp. Both work nicely.
- Sugar – I used caster sugar as I needed the color and flavour to remain mild, however you an swap it to mild brown mushy sugar if you’d like a extra caramel flavour naturally.
- Eggs – I used medium eggs, however when you have different sizes, weigh them of their shells after which match the opposite components – get to as near 400g as attainable.
- Flour – I exploit self elevating flour as per typical – it’s the most effective for desserts
- Vanilla – At all times use extract, bean paste, or pods – essence is nasty.
As I needed this to be barely totally different to the opposite traybake recipes on my weblog already, and I actually needed to make one thing mild and scrumptious, I used whipped cream. This consists of double cream, icing sugar and a bit vanilla to flavour the cream, whipped to peaks after which unfold and piped on.
I unfold half of the cream onto the cake to make a floor that the strawberries and raspberries can follow with a small spatula, proper to the sting. Then, after including the beginning of the flag, I piped the remainder of the whipped cream on in order that the blueberries had been sat up barely (As they’re much smaller than the opposite fruit). You’ll be able to then after all simply pipe all of it on, or unfold all of it on – I simply needed a fairly sample.
You’ll be able to clearly use a buttercream as a substitute if you’d like – however I might keep away from an icing like on the college cake as that will trigger the fruit to run off barely. A typical buttercream can be 175g unsalted butter blended with 350g icing sugar.
The fruit & flag
When it got here to the fruit for this coronation cake, it needed to be fairly explicit as a result of flag. I went for strawberries, raspberries and blueberries, all of that are beginning to come into season when the coronation occurs so it’s the proper time to make use of them.
Strawberries made the primary cross of the flag, with the raspberries doing the opposite half. I then used blueberries to fill in the remainder of the flag on prime of the cream – and have a look at how fairly it its!
I might suggest utilizing contemporary fruit for this cake as frozen berries won’t look as good and can thaw/leak in a bizarre method onto the cream. If you’re anxious, embellish the cake considerably final minute earlier than serving, nevertheless it does final a few days within the fridge.
Ideas & Tips
- Should you needed a chocolate primarily based cake, use my chocolate faculty cake as a base sponge. Or you’ll be able to even jazz it up barely and use my gin & tonic traybake – and even my chocolate orange traybake cake.
- This cake is finest served contemporary on the day due to the fruit and cream, however can final 1-2 days within the fridge if wanted!
- Flavour the sponge with any flavour you fancy – 1-2tsp extract resembling lemon, orange, almond and so on!
- I used this traybake tin
- How a lot fruit you want could range relying on measurement of the berries so purchase a bit additional in case you are anxious
- 400 g unsalted butter (or baking unfold)
- 400 g caster sugar
- 7 medium eggs
- 400 g self elevating flour
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 450 ml double cream
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 300-400 g strawberries
- 150-250 g raspberries
- 300 g blueberries
For the Cake
Preheat your oven to 180ºC/160ºC fan and line a 9×13″ traybake tin with parchment paper.
Beat collectively your butter and sugar till mild and fluffy.
Add within the eggs, self elevating flour, and vanilla extract and beat once more till mixed nicely.
Pour into the tin and bake within the oven for 45-50 minutes, or till baked by means of.
As soon as baked, let the cake cool totally within the tin.
For the cream
Add the double cream to a big bowl with the icing sugar and vanilla
Whisk till thick and unfold half onto the cooled sponge
Organize the strawberries and raspberries for the pink a part of the flag
Piper unfold the remainder of the cream in-between after which prepare the blueberries on prime
- I like to recommend utilizing a 9×13″ traybake tin for this recipe.
- This cake is finest served contemporary however will final for 1-2+ days within the fridge as soon as made.
- For a 9″ sq. tin – I might suggest a 5 egg/250g sugar/butter/flour combination. Baked for 35 minutes
Discover my different recipes on my Recipes Web page!
Yow will discover me on:
© Jane’s Patisserie. All photos & content material are copyright protected. Don’t use my photos with out prior permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your personal phrases and credit score me, or hyperlink again to this submit for the recipe.