Like many youngsters, I used to be way more keen on the tasty cookie dough than the precise baked cookies. However cookie dough can also be an important addition to ice cream – and given the season, we’ll use some traditional Swedish gingerbread cookie dough!
Making the ice cream … and the dough
The legendary ice cream makers Ben & Jerry are sometimes credited because the inventors of what in all probability is essentially the most well-known industrial line of cookie dough ice cream – because the story goes, they created their first batch in 1984, following a suggestion by an nameless fan.
Fortunately, making cookie dough ice cream could be very easy: make a base and add items of cookie dough.
When you can select any favorite ice cream base you want, I went with a very easy-to-make Philadelphia (or American) model one: no cooking required – if you happen to can combine recent milk, cream and sugar, you’re mainly there!
Touched by the approaching Xmas spirit, I made a decision to go for gingerbread cookie dough. For individuals who don’t have already got their very own favorite recipe, I’ll share the one I used under (or exit and purchase some ready-made dough if you happen to can’t be bothered to make the dough your self).
The cookie dough ought to ideally chill in your fridge just a few hours or over evening earlier than being added to your ice cream, so let’s start right here: The Swedish recipe I used is conventional and simple with only one modification – I doubled the quantity of spices since chilly typically dampens flavours.
The dough requires just a few elements, notably wheat flour, butter, gentle syrup, some cream, a contact of bicarbonate and a few floor cinnamon, ginger and clove. Optionally, you can too add an egg – simply concentrate on the potential well being hazards (freezing the dough – not like baking it within the oven – sadly doesn’t kill salmonella micro organism).
Begin by mixing all of the dry elements after which add the liquid ones. Work the dough nicely till moderately agency and even. Put apart to relax in your fridge for just a few hours or over evening: the dough may even be simpler to work (and switch into items)
The recipe (see under) will internet you about 550-600 gram: sufficient for about 2 batches of ice cream … or for 1 batch of ice cream and a few additional gingerbread cookies baked on the aspect 😉
Placing the dough into the ice cream
With the dough prepared, combine collectively the ice cream base.
Begin churning: in direction of the tip, when the ice cream has begun to agency up, begin to add items of the cookie dough. Little by little, add all of the cookie dough and let the churning end.
Perfectionists might attempt so as to add items of cookie dough of a uniform measurement. However must you discover it tough, don’t fret an excessive amount of about it: the ice cream is sort of forgiving except you make your items too large or a lot too small 😉
Put the ice cream in a freezer-safe container and let agency up for not less than a few hours in your freezer.
Cookie dough ice cream – higher than cookies!
Cookie dough ice cream just isn’t solely straightforward to make – it’s a actual crowd pleaser, since most individuals seem to maintain a particular place of their hearts for tasty cookie dough. The ice cream base could also be easy however is nicely fitted to framing the tasty dough. And the gingerbread dough supplies all of the nice and Christmas-spicy aptitude one can ask for.
If you happen to love ice cream, if you happen to love cookie dough or if you happen to really feel a bit bored by bizarre gingerbread cookies, that is the reply!
Cookie dough ice cream – Swedish Christmas model
- 300 ml (about 1¼ cups) cream
- about 100 ml (about 2/5 cup) crème fraiche
- 100 ml (about 2/5 cup) milk
- 100 ml (about 2/5 cup) sugar
- about 2 tablespoons inverted sugar (glucose- or corn syrup or equal)
- pinch of salt
- 250 gram gingerbread cookie dough, added in small morsels
- 150 ml (about 3/5 cup) sugar
- 600 ml (about 2½ cup) wheat flour
- 75 gram butter
- 50 ml (about ⅕ cup) cream
- 100 ml (about 2/5) gentle (or golden) syrup
- ½ tablespoon bicarbonate
- 1 tablespoon floor cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon floor ginger
- ½ tablespoon floor clove
- 2 tablespoons water
- (non-compulsory: 1 egg)
- Combine all dry elements in a bowl, add the liquid ones and work the dough till comparatively agency and even.
- Put it within the fridge to relax (will probably be simpler to work if chilly).
- In a bowl, whisk collectively all elements (aside from the cookie dough). Ensure that all of the sugar has dissolved and that the ice cream base is whisked good and easy.
- Pour the ice cream base into the ice cream machine and churn in keeping with directions OR (in case you haven’t any machine) still-freeze the ice cream base in your freezer (see the submit on that for useful advise).
- In direction of the tip of the churning, when the ice cream has began to settle and agency up (however nonetheless stays tender), add – piece by piece – the gingerbread cookie dough.
- Put the ice cream in a freezer-safe container, placed on plastic movie and a lid and retailer within the freezer: the ice cream might be even higher if you happen to let it agency up for not less than a few hours within the freezer earlier than having fun with it.