Santo Chilote is a taqueria and neighborhood music venue on a quiet nook of Todos Santos, Mexico. This recipe is impressed by the restaurant’s in style coconut shrimp tacos, that are served unadorned atop gentle and chewy flour tortillas. Diners are free so as to add their very own fixin’s, from an assortment of contemporary chiles, pickled greens, slaws, and sauces. Recreate the expertise at dwelling by serving these with numerous dishes of your personal favourite accompaniments.
Featured in: “The Quest to Discover the Final Fish Taco.”
Yield: makes 6 tacos
Time: 40 minutes
- 1½ cup thinly sliced pink onion
- 1 Tbsp. kosher salt, divided
- ¼ cup contemporary lime juice
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ¾ cup mild beer
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 lb. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Six 6-in. flour tortillas, warmed
- Habanero salsa (non-obligatory), pickled jalapeños, cilantro, shredded pink cabbage, and crema or bitter cream, for serving
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Impartial oil, for frying
- In a medium bowl toss collectively the onion and a pinch of salt. Add the lime juice and put aside to pickle when you cook dinner the shrimp.
- Match a heavy-bottomed pot with a deep-fry thermometer and add oil to a depth of 1½ inches. Prepare dinner over medium-high warmth, till the oil reaches 350°F. Line a baking sheet or heatproof platter with paper towels and set it by the range.
- In the meantime, in a big bowl, stir collectively the flour, cornstarch, oregano, and a couple of teaspoons of salt. Stir in 1 cup of chilly water adopted by the beer. Pour the shredded coconut onto a large plate or shallow bowl. Dredge the shrimp within the batter, then dip within the coconut to coat. Fry the battered shrimp in batches till golden brown and cooked by way of, 4–5 minutes per batch. Use a heatproof slotted spoon or spider skimmer to switch the shrimp to the lined baking sheet to empty when you proceed frying the remaining.
- Serve the shrimp in heat flour tortillas, with the reserved pickled pink onions, habanero salsa, pickled jalapeños, shredded pink cabbage, and crema, and lime wedges on the facet.