These are fan-favorite cut-out Christmas sugar cookies! My recipe for sugar cookies guarantees flavorful cookies with comfortable and thick facilities, barely crisp edges, and flat tops for adorning. The dough comes along with 8 easy substances and the cookies maintain their cookie cutter form within the oven. Embellish them with my straightforward glaze cookie icing, an exquisite different to royal icing. Get out your rolling pin and favourite cookie cutters and have enjoyable!
The vacation season and a batch of embellished Christmas sugar cookies go hand-in-hand. In the present day’s recipe is a traditional staple, and has been a well-liked favourite since I first revealed it in 2014. It’s principally my favourite sugar cookie recipe, however all dressed up for the vacations. And I really like that you just don’t have to mess with royal icing! The cookie icing under is unfussy and low upkeep, which is unquestionably appreciated should you’re baking lots of cookies in December. 😉
One reader commented: “These are the BEST cookies! The dough is really easy to place collectively and to work with. They style superb; buttery and never too candy. They cooked up excellent, identical to you stated, crispy on the sides with a pleasant comfortable center!! And the icing…oh the icing! It’s the right consistency for utilizing a squeeze bottle and but it units up agency and shiny so you may stack the cookies or pack and ship them. ★★★★★”
Right here’s Why You’ll Love These Christmas Sugar Cookies
- Delicate, thick facilities with barely crisp edges
- Irresistible buttery vanilla taste
- Made out of easy substances
- Depart plain or taste with extras like maple, cinnamon, peppermint, and extra
- Maintain form whereas baking
- Icing is manageable for younger bakers and novices
- Freeze fantastically
- Straightforward-to-follow recipe utilized by newbie and skilled bakers alike
By the way in which, should you love sugar cookies, however aren’t up for adorning with icing, you’ll get pleasure from my stained glass window cookies, Christmas sparkle cookies, or drop Christmas sugar cookies as an alternative.
Methods to Make Christmas Sugar Cookies
You want 7–8 substances for the dough. With so few substances, it’s essential to comply with the recipe intently, as a result of each has an essential job. Creamed butter and sugar kind the bottom of the dough. Egg and flour present construction, and vanilla provides taste. I nearly all the time add a contact of almond extract for extra taste, and extremely suggest that you just attempt it too! You can additionally use peppermint extract or one other taste extract as an alternative. Baking powder provides carry, and salt balances the candy.
So many little substances doing large jobs to create an ideal cookie:
Success Tip: Be sure you begin with correct room temperature butter. Room temperature butter is cool to the contact and about 65°F (18°C), which can be cooler than your kitchen. To check the butter to verify it’s able to cream, poke it together with your finger. Your finger ought to make an indent with out sinking down into the butter. The butter shouldn’t be shiny or greasy.
This can be a recipe that requires some planning forward.
After you make the cookie dough, it should chill for 1-2 hours and as much as 2 days. Chilling is a compulsory step. With out chilling, these cookie cutter sugar cookies received’t maintain form. You don’t need your snowman-shaped cookie turning into the Keep-Puft Marshmallow Man (although that would work for Halloween cookies).
Additionally, the icing recipe under wants at the very least 24 hours to dry/set (however you may definitely eat them previous to the icing drying!). That is for much longer than royal icing, which often dries in 2 hours. So regardless that we’re not messing with finicky royal icing, we do have to attend longer to stack/transport the cookies.
After you make the cookie dough, divide it in half:
After which roll out every portion of dough earlier than chilling:
Let’s discuss rolling out this dough as a result of it’s an uncommon order of steps.
3 Methods to Rolling Out Christmas Cookie Dough
- Trick #1: Take note of the order of the steps. Discover how I roll out the dough BEFORE chilling it within the fridge? That’s an important trick! Let me clarify why I do that. Similar to whenever you’re making chocolate chip cookies, to forestall the cookies from over-spreading, the dough should chill. Should you’ve ever tried rolling out chilled sugar cookie dough, you might keep in mind how troublesome it’s to roll out chilly, stiff dough. So, roll out the dough whereas it’s nonetheless comfortable (proper after mixing it collectively) after which chill the rolled-out dough.
- Trick #2: Divide the dough in half earlier than rolling it out. Why? Smaller sections of dough are simpler to roll out.
- Trick #3: Roll out the cookie dough instantly on a silicone baking mat or parchment paper so you may simply switch it to the fridge. Decide the entire thing up, set it on a baking sheet, and place it within the fridge. Should you don’t have sufficient room for 2 baking sheets in your fridge, merely stack the items of rolled-out dough on prime of one another, with parchment paper or silicone baking mat in between. You’ll be able to see me doing this within the video tutorial under.
After the rolled out dough chills for at the very least 1-2 hours, use cookie cutters to chop out shapes and re-roll your scraps. Bear in mind, you’ve got two slabs of dough.
Organize cookies on a lined baking sheet. I often get about 2 dozen 3-inch cookies from this recipe. Right here’s a number of the cookies earlier than baking:
And after baking:
How Thick Do I Make Sugar Cookies?
These sugar cookies stay comfortable as a result of they’re rolled out fairly thick. Roll out the cookie dough to about 1/4 inch thick, or simply below (about 6mm). Sure, that is on the thicker facet and, sure, this produces further thick and comfortable cookies! You probably have problem evenly rolling out dough, do this adjustable rolling pin. Talking from expertise, it’s extremely useful!
Use My Straightforward Cookie Icing
My straightforward cookie icing recipe under is a superb different to conventional royal icing. It’s like a really thick opaque glaze and comes collectively rapidly with a fork and a mixing bowl. That is considered one of my favourite methods to embellish sugar cookies as a result of it’s low upkeep, however nonetheless delivers fairly (and attractive) outcomes. I’ve a separate Cookie Icing web page devoted to it, and it may be used on just about any cookie cutter cookies like gingerbread cookies and chocolate sugar cookies.
Right here’s why you’ll love this cookie icing:
- 5 primary substances
- Can tint the icing completely different colours
- Can use squeeze bottle or piping tricks to adorn
- Manageable for everybody
- Doesn’t dry into laborious cement texture
- After it dries, you may stack, freeze, and transport cookies
You want confectioners’ sugar, water, vanilla extract (exchange with water to maintain the icing stark white), a contact of corn syrup, and a little bit salt. The corn syrup offers the icing sticking energy and creates a ravishing sheen when the icing dries. After 24 hours, the icing dries, so you may simply stack these Christmas sugar cookies for storage, transport, and even delivery.
Sure, you may create gourmet-looking Christmas cookies like those above with out royal icing!
Christmas Sugar Cookie Instruments
Earlier than I go away you with the recipe, let me counsel some helpful sugar cookie instruments. These are the precise merchandise I exploit in my very own kitchen:
- Electrical Mixer: Stand Mixer or Handheld
- Baking Sheets: I exploit and love these Baking Sheets.
- Parchment or Baking Mats: Silicone Baking Mats or Parchment Sheets (for rolling out & transferring the rolled out dough, and for baking the cookies).
- Rolling Pin: That is my favourite Rolling Pin.
- Cookie Cutters: Should you’d like recommendations for cookie cutters, I really like Ann Clark model. (Not sponsored, only a real fan!) The pictured shapes got here from this vacation cookie cutter set.
- Meals Coloring: Liquid meals coloring can alter the consistency of the icing, so I like to recommend gel meals coloring. I like Americolor model.
- Squeeze Bottle: To make adorning a breeze, use a squeeze bottle. They’re much less intimidating than piping suggestions and really straightforward to make use of. If you wish to use a piping tip, I really like Wilton #4 for adorning sugar cookies. (You’ll additionally want a disposable or reusable piping bag if utilizing a piping tip.)
It’s also possible to take a look at my really useful 10 Greatest Cookie Baking Instruments.
Cookie Adorning Celebration
Are you internet hosting a cookie adorning day or occasion? Right here’s my Methods to Host a Cookie Adorning Day information with my greatest success suggestions, really useful provides, and timeline for prep. This web page is particularly helpful should you’re internet hosting a cookie adorning day for teenagers!
Craving Extra Christmas Cookies?
Minimize-out Christmas sugar cookies with crisp edges and comfortable facilities. This icing recipe is so easy, making adorning hassle-free!
- Be sure you have allotted sufficient time (and sufficient counter house!) to make these cookies. The cookie dough wants to relax, the cookies want to chill utterly, and the icing wants 24 hours to utterly set. If having fun with straight away and hardened icing isn’t a priority, you’ll solely want about 3-4 hours to make these.
- Make the cookie dough: Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt collectively in a medium bowl. Put aside.
- In a big bowl utilizing a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar collectively on excessive pace till utterly clean and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the egg, vanilla, and almond extract (if utilizing) and beat on excessive pace till mixed, about 1 minute. Scrape down the edges and up the underside of the bowl and beat once more as wanted to mix.
- Add the dry substances to the moist substances and blend on low till mixed. Dough will likely be comparatively comfortable. If the dough appears too comfortable and sticky for rolling, add 1 extra Tablespoon of flour.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal components. Place every portion onto a chunk of calmly floured parchment paper or a calmly floured silicone baking mat. With a calmly floured rolling pin, roll the dough out to about 1/4-inch thickness. Use extra flour if the dough appears too sticky. The rolled-out dough could be any form, so long as it’s evenly 1/4-inch thick.
- Flippantly mud one of many rolled-out doughs with flour. Place a chunk of parchment on prime. (This prevents sticking.) Place the 2nd rolled-out dough on prime. Cowl with plastic wrap or aluminum foil, then refrigerate for at the very least 1-2 hours and as much as 2 days.
- As soon as chilled, preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line 2-3 massive baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Fastidiously take away the highest dough piece from the fridge. If it’s sticking to the underside, run your hand below it to assist take away it. Utilizing a cookie cutter, lower the dough into shapes. Re-roll the remaining dough and proceed slicing till all is used. Repeat with 2nd piece of dough. (Be aware: It doesn’t look like lots of dough, however you get lots of cookies from the dough scraps you re-roll.)
- Organize cookies on baking sheets 3 inches aside. Bake for 11-12 minutes or till calmly browned across the edges. In case your oven has sizzling spots, rotate the baking sheet midway by way of bake time. Permit cookies to chill on the baking sheet for five minutes then switch to a wire rack to chill utterly earlier than adorning. No have to cowl the cookies because the cookies cool.
- Make the icing: Utilizing a fork, stir the confectioners’ sugar, vanilla, corn syrup, and 4.5 Tablespoons (67ml) of water collectively in a medium bowl. Will probably be very thick and nearly not possible to stir. Change to a whisk and whisk in 1/2 Tablespoon (8ml) of water. Should you carry the whisk and let the icing drizzle again into the bowl, the ribbon of icing will maintain form for a couple of seconds earlier than melting again into the icing. That’s when it’s the proper consistency and is able to use. If it’s too thick (typically it’s), whisk in one other 1/2 Tablespoon (8ml) of water or a little bit extra till you attain the consistency.
- Should you’re tinting the icing one other shade, stir within the meals coloring. You’ll be able to pour some icing into completely different bowls if utilizing a number of colours. When tinting icing, solely use 1-2 drops at first, stir it in, then add extra as wanted to succeed in your required shade. Bear in mind, shade darkens as icing dries.
- Embellish the cookies: You’ll be able to dip the cookies into the icing or use squeeze bottles or piping luggage fitted with piping suggestions (I often use Wilton Piping Tip #4). Embellish your cookies as desired. If utilizing the squeeze bottles or piping suggestions, I often define cookies with icing first, then fill within the center. If including sprinkles on prime of the icing, add them proper after making use of icing in your cookie.
- Let icing dry/set: Be happy to get pleasure from cookies earlier than icing utterly dries. Icing dries in 24 hours. No have to cowl the embellished cookies as you anticipate the icing to set. If it’s useful, adorn the cookies instantly on a baking sheet so you may stick the complete baking sheet within the fridge to assist barely pace up the icing setting. As soon as the icing has dried, these cookies are nice for gifting or for sending.
- Cowl and retailer embellished cookies for as much as 5 days at room temperature or as much as 10 days within the fridge.
- Freezing Directions: Plain or embellished sugar cookies freeze properly as much as 3 months. Look ahead to the icing to set utterly earlier than layering between sheets of parchment paper in a freezer-friendly container. To thaw, thaw within the fridge or at room temperature. It’s also possible to freeze the cookie dough for as much as 3 months earlier than rolling it out. Put together the dough by way of step 4, divide in half, flatten each halves right into a disk as we do with pie crust, wrap every in plastic wrap, then freeze. To thaw, thaw the disks within the fridge, then carry to room temperature for about 1 hour. Roll out the dough as directed in step 5, then chill rolled out dough within the fridge for 45 minutes – 1 hour earlier than slicing into shapes and baking.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): Electrical Mixer (Stand Mixer or Handheld) | Baking Sheets | Silicone Baking Mats or Parchment Sheets | Rolling Pin | Vacation Cookie Cutter Set | Squeeze Bottle for adorning
- Room Temperature Butter: Room temperature butter is important. If the dough is just too sticky, your butter might have been too comfortable. Room temperature butter is definitely cool to the contact. Room temperature egg is most well-liked so it’s rapidly and evenly combined into the cookie dough.
- Flavoring the cookies: I really like flavoring this cookie dough with 1/2 teaspoon almond extract as listed within the substances above. For lighter taste, use 1/4 teaspoon. As an alternative of the almond extract, attempt utilizing 1 teaspoon of maple extract, coconut extract, lemon extract, or peppermint extract. Or add 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice or floor cinnamon. Together with lemon extract, you may also add 1 Tablespoon lemon zest.
- Corn Syrup: Corn syrup offers the icing sticking energy and creates a ravishing sheen on the dried icing. I don’t suggest skipping it, however you may if completely wanted.
- Salt: I do know salt isn’t a typical ingredient in cookie icing, however it helps offset its sweetness. You simply want a small pinch.
- Yield of icing: This quantity of icing is sufficient for icing 2 dozen cookies. You’ll have a lot if you wish to divide it and tint the batch a number of colours, too. Icing can simply be halved by halving the entire substances. (Nonetheless add a tiny pinch of salt.)
- Make sure you take a look at my prime 5 cookie baking suggestions AND these are my 10 must-have cookie baking instruments.
Key phrases: christmas sugar cookies
Baking Made Straightforward
Are you new to this web site? This electronic mail collection is a superb place to begin. I’ll stroll you thru a couple of of my hottest recipes and present you precisely why they work.