Gentle and creamy vanilla-scented whipped cream comes along with decadently wealthy layers of home made Chocolate Wafers to create this Chocolate Wafer Icebox Cake. As soon as constructed, this cake will rival any conventional chocolate cake in each style and look.
Chocolate Wafer Icebox Cake
- 3 tablespoons (45 grams) chilly water
- 2¼ teaspoons (6 grams) unflavored gelatin
- 4½ cups (1,080 grams) chilly heavy whipping cream
- 2¼ cups (270 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- 1½ tablespoons (27 grams) vanilla bean paste
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- Chocolate Wafers (recipe follows)
- Line a 9×5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper, letting extra lengthen over sides of pan.
- In a microwave-safe measuring cup with a spout, place 3 tablespoons (45 grams) chilly water; sprinkle gelatin evenly on prime. Let stand till hydrated, 5 to 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, within the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat chilly cream at low velocity, and step by step add confectioners’ sugar, vanilla bean paste, and salt, beating till mixed. Enhance mixer velocity to medium-low, and beat till starting to thicken.
- Microwave hydrated gelatin on excessive in 5-second intervals, stirring between every, till utterly dissolved and combination is heat. (Don’t boil.)
- Step by step stir 2 tablespoons cream combination from bowl into heat gelatin combination till mixed. With mixer on medium-low velocity, add gelatin combination to cream in bowl in a gradual, skinny, regular stream; improve mixer velocity to medium, and beat till stiff peaks type. Reserve 2 cups (about 250 grams) whipped cream in a small bowl. Cowl and refrigerate till prepared to make use of.
- Unfold a skinny layer of remaining whipped cream in backside of ready pan. Organize 6 to eight Chocolate Wafers in a single layer over whipped cream, breaking wafers and overlapping barely as wanted. High with one other skinny layer of whipped cream and a layer of 6 to eight wafers. Cowl with sufficient whipped cream to fill pan about three-fourths full. Gently faucet pan on a kitchen towel-lined counter to settle whipped cream. Press 4 rows of 10 Chocolate Wafers vertically into whipped cream, overlapping rows if wanted and avoiding sides of pan. Put remaining whipped cream in a pastry bag, and lower a ¼-inch opening in tip. Pipe whipped cream on prime and between wafers to totally cowl. Clean into a fair layer. (It’s OK if cream sits a bit increased than prime of pan or if cookies peek by way of cream barely.) Cowl and refrigerate for at the very least 8 hours or as much as in a single day. (Add any remaining whipped cream in pastry bag to reserved 2 cups in fridge.)
- Utilizing a spatula, gently stir reserved whipped cream till mushy. Invert cake onto a serving platter; discard parchment. Utilizing an offset spatula, clean prime and sides, including just a little whipped cream as wanted to cowl any uncovered wafers or fill holes.
- Place remaining whipped cream in a big pastry bag fitted with a big petal piping tip (Wilton No. 125). With giant finish of piping tip touching cake and smaller finish pointing up, pipe a border round prime fringe of cake. Pipe one ruffle at a time, left after which proper, alongside both sides of cake. (It ought to appear to be hearts stacked on prime of one another.) Refrigerate till able to serve. Finely crush 5 to 10 Chocolate Wafers, and embellish cake as desired. Cowl and refrigerate for as much as 3 days.
- ½ cup (43 grams) black cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons (42 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- 5 tablespoons (70 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup (110 grams) firmly packed mild brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 giant egg (50 grams), room temperature
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) vanilla extract
- 1⅔ cups (208 grams) all-purpose flour
- In a small bowl, whisk collectively black cocoa and melted butter. Let cool barely.
- Within the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat softened butter, brown sugar, and salt at medium velocity till fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Beat in cocoa combination. Add egg and vanilla, beating till effectively mixed. Add flour, and beat till effectively mixed and a clean dough varieties.
- Divide dough in half (about 1 cup or 263 grams every). Between 2 sheets of parchment paper, roll every half to ¼-inch thickness. Freeze dough between parchment till set, about quarter-hour.
- Preheat oven to 325°F (170°C). Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Working in batches, take away prime sheet of parchment. Utilizing a 2-inch spherical cutter, lower dough, twisting to launch from parchment. Place ½ inch aside on ready pans. (If dough tears when eradicating from parchment, freeze for five minutes.) Reroll scraps between 2 sheets of parchment paper to ¼-inch thickness, and freeze for at the very least quarter-hour earlier than chopping.
- Bake till aromatic, tops are dry, and a slight indentation is left when pressed with a finger, 6 to eight minutes. Let cool on pans for 10 minutes. Take away from pans, and let cool utterly on wire racks.
Notice: You’ll not want the entire wafers for the icebox cake. Discover our Vanilla Filling recipe on our web site (bakefromscratch.com/black-cocoa-sandwich-cookies/) and use your leftover wafers to make sandwich cookies.