posted by Liz Berg
on July 31, 2022
This beautiful, out-of-the-ordinary Chocolate Velvet Pie with Meringue Crust is ideal for any time you could have a chocolate craving! A meringue shell is topped with extremely wealthy, dreamy chocolate whipped cream and chocolate shards.
It is a Chocolate Pie Recipe that melts in your mouth and is straightforward sufficient for a household dinner, however could be dressed up for a vacation dessert!
Why You Should Make
- Minimal components are wanted to whip up this beautiful chocolate meringue pie.
- This luscious dessert begins with a slow-cooked meringue pie crust, then is topped with a fluffy mound of chocolate and coffee-infused whipped cream.
- Dreamy is an understatement!
Often Requested Questions
Why Did not My Meringue Attain Stiff Peaks?
In case your meringue doesn’t stiffen correctly, you could not have overwhelmed on a excessive sufficient velocity, or the bowl, beaters, or egg whites could have been contaminated with oil, grease, or egg yolk. You will want to begin over.
What Are the Fundamental Steps for Making a Easy Meringue?
1. Begin with room temperature egg whites and a really clear bowl and beaters.
2. Add cream of tartar.
3. Whip till foamy.
4. Add the sugar, a little bit at a time.
5. Beat to stiff, shiny peaks.
Why Do You Add Cream of Tartar to Meringue?
Including an acid comparable to cream of tartar or lemon juice helps to stabilize the meringue by denaturing the proteins, thus delaying coagulation because it cooks.
Suggestions for Making a Meringue Crust
In the event you’ve ever eaten a do-it-yourself meringue cookie, you understand the feel could be crisp with a smooth, chewy center. That’s what you’ll discover with a meringue crust. Listed below are a number of tricks to make your crust profitable when making this chocolate velvet pie.
- PRO-Tip: Separate the egg whites from the yolks whereas the eggs are chilly. Be sure to separate the eggs separately with the white in a single bowl and the yolk in one other, then switch the whites to a bigger bowl.
- The rationale for the three bowl approach is in order that if one yolk breaks in the course of the separating course of, you received’t contaminate the opposite egg whites.
- PRO-Tip: Be sure all bowls and beaters are scrupulously clear of all grease. A speck of grease, fats, or oil will inhibit the eggs from whipping correctly. Egg yolks comprise fats, so that’s the reason you don’t need a yolk breaking into your whites.
- In the event you’re questioning why cream of tartar is an ingredient, it’s as a result of it helps stabilize the egg whites after they’re overwhelmed. The cream of tartar doesn’t expire, so ensure to have some available.
- PRO-Tip: Let the egg whites come to room temperature earlier than beating. They are going to whip higher than chilly whites.
- Beat the egg whites till smooth peaks type. Comfortable peaks are when the whites go from foamy to opaque, however nonetheless flop over while you elevate up a giant spoonful.
- Proceed beating, including the sugar a few tablespoon at a time. Sluggish is the way in which to go so the sugar can incorporate.
- When stiff peaks type and the sugar is absorbed, the meringue is able to be unfold right into a greased pie plate.
- Stiff peaks might be stiff and shiny. Stiff meringue will maintain its form. There shouldn’t be any sugar granules within the combination. Verify by rubbing a little bit of the meringue between your fingers. Be aware: I’ve used meringue with some sugar granules and it’s no massive deal in a pie crust.
You Could Additionally Like:
I can all the time assume up a cause to bake up a chocolate pie recipe! Making chocolate shards to garnish is tremendous easy and creates a present stopper of a dessert. From candy to savory, chocolate to citrus to berry, there are zillions of scrumptious pies from which to decide on. Apart from this chocolate velvet pie, listed here are some extra of my favorites:
- 3 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup superfine sugar (whiz within the meals processor for a few minute)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Chocolate Velvet Filling:
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons brewed espresso
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Grated chocolate, chocolate curls or chocolate shards to garnish, optionally available
- Grease a 9-inch deep dish pie plate. Put aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350º.
- Within the bowl of a stand mixer, beat egg whites till foamy. Add cream of tartar and salt. Beat till smooth peaks begin to type. Very slowly, add the sugar and proceed beating till stiff peaks type. Combine in vanilla.
- Unfold meringue in a pie plate, smoothing the highest with an offset spatula. Bake for one hour, then flip off the oven and depart the meringue within the oven to chill.
- When the meringue shell is cool, make the filling.
- Place chocolate and low in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 30-seconds, cease and stir, then repeat till chocolate is melted and clean. Combine in vanilla and let cool.
- Whip cream with sugar till stiff peaks type. Add the cooled chocolate to the cream, and gently fold in till all white streaks are gone.
- Unfold topping over prime of meringue shell. Garnish with chocolate if desired. Chill earlier than serving.
As an choice, you could mud the completed pie with powdered sugar or cocoa powder.
As an Amazon Affiliate and member of different affiliate packages, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 492Complete Fats: 31gSaturated Fats: 19gTrans Fats: 1gUnsaturated Fats: 10gLdl cholesterol: 68mgSodium: 59mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 2gSugar: 52gProtein: 4g