In the event you love the mixture of chocolate and mint, this recipe is for you. Mushy, tender chocolate cupcakes topped with mint buttercream, these Chocolate Mint Cupcakes are one of the best dessert after a hearty meal. You’ll be able to pile the mint buttercream on anything, too!
I crated this recipe due to my husband’s love of mint. We have now mentioned his desire for mint jelly on a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, have not we? It is vile, for my part, however I can get behind a mint buttercream.
The chocolate cupcakes are my eggless chocolate cupcakes, however please know that I attain for this recipe a lot as a result of it makes completely mushy, tender and wealthy chocolatey cupcakes. The truth that this chocolate mint cupcakes recipe does not include eggs is not an element right here, although, you will discover all of my eggless recipes right here, if that is essential to you.
Anyway, the mint buttercream right here comprises the right quantity of mint, in good stability to the sweetness so it undoubtedly does not style like toothpaste. The small quantity of inexperienced meals coloring is optionally available, however so fairly! In the event you like mint, attempt my mint chocolate chip cookies made with recent mint!
- All-Objective Flour. Common, all-purpose flour that has been fluffed evenly, scooped right into a measuring cup and leveled.
- Cocoa Powder. Plain, unsweetened cocoa powder; don’t use Dutch course of or sizzling chocolate powder for these chocolate mint cupcakes.
- Baking Soda.
- Baking Powder.
- Prompt Espresso Powder. You should use the identical quantity of instantaneous espresso granulates if you do not have instantaneous espresso powder. Nonetheless, please notice that this does not make the cupcakes style like espresso, it simply heightens the flavour of the cocoa powder.
- Buttermilk. Use ⅓ cup of buttermilk, or ⅓ cup milk with ½ teaspoon of vinegar added.
- Oil. Use a impartial oil with out taste, like vegetable oil, canola oil, or grapeseed oil.
- Vanilla Extract.
- Brown Sugar. Darkish or mild brown sugar work equally effectively.
- Powdered Sugar. That is for the mint buttercream.
- Butter. Unsalted butter is greatest for baking.
- Heavy Cream. A small splash of heavy whipping cream is what makes buttercream frosting so fluffy and lightweight. That is what I take advantage of in my whipped cream cream cheese frosting recipe, and it is so good.
- Peppermint Extract. Please, be sure you purchase peppermint extract, not spearmint extract. Peppermint extract is subtly candy and balanced. Spearmint extract is what we mostly affiliate with toothpaste–just do not do it!
- Inexperienced Meals Coloring. Dyeing the frosting a pale inexperienced tells our eyes the frosting is mint flavored, and a recent mint leaf on high seems good, too!
The best way to Make Chocolate Mint Cupcakes
First, collect all components for the cupcakes: flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, espresso powder, milk, vinegar, oil, vanilla and brown sugar.
Mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and instantaneous espresso powder in a medium bowl and whisk till blended.
Subsequent, mix the moist components: the milk, vinegar, oil, vanilla and brown sugar. Whisk vigorously to actually break up the entire brown sugar, and guarantee no lumps stay.
Mix the moist components with the dry components, and stir very effectively to mix. Divide the chocolate mint cupcakes batter between the cupcake liners. Sure, this recipe solely makes 4 cupcakes, however you may simply double or triple to make as many as you want.
Lastly, make the mint buttercream by including the powdered sugar, softened butter, heavy cream, peppermint extract and three drops of inexperienced meals coloring. Beat with an electrical mixer till the frosting is tremendous mild and fluffy. You’ll be able to add extra inexperienced meals coloring in the event you really need it to appear like mint chocolate chip cream, like in my baked mint chip donuts.
Gear to Make This Recipe
- Hand Mixer – Whilst you merely want a whisk to make the cupcake a part of the chocolate mint cupcakes recipe, you actually need a hand mixer to make the mint frosting. It simply will not get fluffy when whipped by hand solely.
- Cupcake Pan – Here’s a cute cupcake pan that solely has 6 areas.
- Cupcake Liners – These are plain white cupcake liners. They can be used for muffins!
The best way to Retailer Chocolate Mint Cupcakes
As a result of these chocolate mint cupcakes have buttercream made with recent dairy, they have to be saved within the fridge till use. Pipe on the buttercream, after which place them in an hermetic container to refrigerate for as much as 2 days. Nonetheless, earlier than serving, take away them from the fridge and permit them to relaxation at room temperature to melt barely. As a result of these cupcakes are made with oil, not butter, they won’t harden when saved within the fridge.
Cook dinner Time
For the cupcakes:
- ⅓ cup flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon instantaneous espresso powder (optionally available)
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
For the frosting:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3 drops inexperienced meals coloring (optionally available)
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line 4 cups in a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk collectively the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and instantaneous espresso powder.
- In a small bowl, stir collectively the oil, vanilla, brown sugar and buttermilk. Stir effectively to dissolve brown sugar.
- Mix moist and dry components and stir till simply mixed. Divide the batter between the 4 cupcake liners and bake for 14-17 minutes, or till completed. Let cool utterly.
- In a medium bowl, beat along with an electrical mixer the powdered sugar, butter, cream, peppermint extract and meals coloring. Beat very effectively till fluffy. Frost cupcakes and serve.
Make-Forward/ Storage: You may make these cupcakes as much as 2 days forward of time, so long as you place them in an air-tight storage container. Pipe on the mint buttercream, after which cowl and refrigerate. Nonetheless, earlier than serving, take away them from the fridge and permit them to relaxation at room temperature earlier than serving.
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 363Whole Fats: 18gSaturated Fats: 9gTrans Fats: 0gUnsaturated Fats: 8gLdl cholesterol: 36mgSodium: 154mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 1gSugar: 39gProtein: 2g