When you have by no means tried honeynut squash, get your buns to the grocery retailer, purchase a pair after which make this browned butter sage model!
Have you ever ever heard of honeynut squash? It’s a cross between buttercup and butternut squash, and it’s one among my absolute favourite squash varieties ever. You possibly can simply sub butternut or buttercup and even candy potatoes ps.
We began making this based mostly off of a ravioli with brown butter sage we had in Florence Italy, and slowly it has developed right into a veggie dish as a substitute of simply pasta. We use lemon as a substitute of white wine to brighten the heaviness of this root veggie.
My favourite a part of the dish, properly okay I’ve obtained just a few, however first up is that it’s simply in one skillet. No have to activate an oven, although you can definitely roast them after which end in a pan if want be. Honeynut squash is far more tender than butternut, so cooking it’s a lot faster and simpler.
Quantity two is much more necessary, it’s all concerning the nuttiness of browned butter. Easy, fragrant, and wealthy with out a lot work.
Lastly, throw in a little bit sage, salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon when you’ve got it and also you’re golden!
This recipe actually doesn’t require many substances in any respect! It’s really easy and soooooooooo scrumptious! If I might attain by the display screen and drag you by the hand to the grocery retailer, I might. Here’s what you’ll need:
- honeynut squash – yow will discover them at Dealer Joe’s for positive, however they’re displaying up at most grocery shops now. Test by the butternut and different squashes. They appear like mini butternut squashes.
- olive oil – helps get golden sear on the surface of the squash
- butter – taste child, that browned butter nuttiness is the whole lot!
- garlic cloves – taste, pairs so properly with the sage and browned butter
- sage (contemporary) – contemporary is a particular should
- flaked sea salt – I’ve linked to our favourite model within the recipe card. Kosher salt works wonderful too.
- pepper – season to style
- lemon – we love the contemporary pop of taste this provides to chop by the heaviness
The measurements for every ingredient may be discovered within the recipe card on the finish of the submit.
I discussed that honeynut squash is simpler to prepare dinner than butternut, which is likely one of the causes I like utilizing the honeynut. The pores and skin is skinny and also you don’t should peel it (profitable!). It cooks shortly and doesn’t should roast for without end. Let me stroll you thru the steps:
- Take away the stems, lower the squashes in half, take away seeds, then lower them into 3/4″ steaks.
- Warmth a skillet over medium warmth and add a little bit oil.
- Add the steaks to the pan and prepare dinner for a couple of minutes, then flip and prepare dinner for one more jiffy. Proceed flipping till tender right through.
- Add the butter and garlic and prepare dinner till the butter is browned and has a nutty aroma. Toss within the sage and a squeeze of lemon if desired.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve.
See really easy! All of those directions will also be discovered within the recipe card under.
This can be a nice vegetable facet dish for nearly any meal, however there’s one thing so comforting and home-y about it that I at all times really feel prefer it ought to go together with a foremost dish that pure consolation meals. Listed below are few concepts:
No, I’m not speaking Cheerios right here, although Honeynut Cheerios are the bomb, right here are some things your ought to find out about honeynut squash…
What Does Honeynut Squash Style Like?
A honeynut squash tastes just like a butternut or buttercup squash, however it’s sweeter. It has a nutty taste and hints of caramel.
The place to Purchase Honeynut Squash
Dealer Joe’s at all times has them, however many common grocery shops have them too. Look close to the opposite winter squashes.
Is Honeynut Squash Pores and skin Edible?
YES! It’s tremendous skinny and when cooked completely it’s completely edible! Belief me, it’s merely scrumptious identical to a candy potato.
How Lengthy Does Honeynut Squash Final?
An entire honeynut squash that’s uncut can sit at room temperature for fairly a very long time…as much as a month or extra. If it begins to get wrinkly on the surface, it’s beginning to dry out, so prepare dinner asap.
After getting lower and cooked a honeynut squash, it would final within the fridge for as much as every week. It will also be frozen for as much as 3 months.
Have I stated sufficient to persuade you to do that recipe but? I’m assured that honeynut squash goes to be your new favourite winter squash, and the browned butter sage will make every chunk soften in your mouth. I can’t wait so that you can love this favourite vegetable facet dish!
Extra Squash Recipes to Strive:
Browned Butter Sage Honeynut Squash Recipe
- 2 Honeynut Squash seeds and stem eliminated and sliced in 3/4″ steaks
- Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves sliced in half or crushed (not minced as it would burn
- Sage Leaves just a few, contemporary
- Flaked Sea Salt
- 1/2 Lemon *non-obligatory
Warmth a pan over medium warmth and add a drizzle of oil.
Add the steaks flat on the pan and prepare dinner for 3-5 minutes, then flip and proceed cooking for one more 5 minutes.
Proceed flipping each minute or so till tender, about 5 extra minutes.
Add within the butter and garlic and prepare dinner till nutty brown and aromatic. Throw within the sage and a squeeze of lemon if desired.
Sprinkle with flaked salt and pepper and serve.
Browned Butter Sage Honeynut Squash Recipe
Quantity Per Serving (0.5 squash)
Energy from Fats 54
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 4g25%
Trans Fats 1g
Polyunsaturated Fats 1g
Monounsaturated Fats 2g
Ldl cholesterol 15mg5%
Vitamin A 40041IU801%
Vitamin C 86mg104%
* % Every day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie food plan.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Candy Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
Once you attempt a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for an opportunity to be featured in our tales! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.