Buttery, basic minimize out sugar cookies get a brown sugar twist with my Brown Sugar Lower Outs! Get pleasure from them plain or enhance them for the vacations!
This recipe was made in partnership with my associates at Imperial Sugar. CLICK HERE for the complete recipe!
Lower out cookies are basic Christmas cookies, and including brown sugar to a sugar cookie recipe is a fast and simple twist on the everyday cookie. I began with my excellent straightforward sugar cookie recipe, so for those who love that recipe as a lot as I do, you’ll love these too! The addition of brown sugar will impart a softer texture and a lightweight brown sugar taste, whereas nonetheless holding the form of even your most intricate cookie cutter with NO CHILLING NEEDED!! You can too use darkish brown sugar for those who choose a fair deeper brown sugar style. Love this straightforward cookie recipe!
Sure and no…that’s in all probability not the reply you have been in search of! Possibly the right reply right here is “a bit”. My favourite minimize out cookies are smooth however with crisper edges, and brown sugar does lend a softer cookie, as brown sugar has extra moisture than granulated, however you’ll nonetheless obtain these crisp edges.
Brown Sugar Lower Out Elements:
Click on right here: Full checklist of elements and printable recipe
- Chilly butter. I take advantage of chilly butter in my recipe to forestall spreading with out having to sit back the dough. You possibly can nonetheless chill the dough if you’d like, however I don’t discover it’s obligatory.
- Mild brown sugar. You should use darkish brown sugar as properly, or a mixture of the 2. I choose mild brown sugar in these, as you continue to get the caramel taste with out including further moisture to the cookie.
- Giant egg
- Vanilla extract
- Baking powder
- Kosher salt
- All function flour
Icing isn’t obligatory on these sugar cookies, however for those who like adorning cookies this can be a fast and easy icing to make for those who don’t need to go to all the difficulty of creating royal icing!
- Powdered sugar
- Water or milk
- Mild corn syrup
Unsalted vs Salted Butter
You should use with both salted or unsalted butter on this recipe. It’s a private desire of mine to make use of salted, as I simply choose the style. If you happen to select to make use of unsalted you don’t want to extend the quantity of further salt on this recipe.
- Cookies: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat and put aside.
- Within the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter and sugar collectively on medium pace for two minutes till mild and fluffy.
- Add within the egg, vanilla, baking powder, and salt and proceed mixing till mixed and easy, scraping the edges of the bowl as obligatory with a rubber spatula.
- Flip the mixer pace to low and add within the flour, mixing till the dough comes collectively.
- Divide dough into 2 sections and on a floured floor, utilizing a rolling pin, roll the dough to 1/3 inch thick. Utilizing a cookie cutter, minimize out shapes of the dough together with your desired cutter(s) and place the cookies on the ready baking sheet 1 1/2- inches aside. In case you are baking in batches, hold the unused dough within the fridge till prepared to make use of to forestall dough from getting too heat.
- Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes till the sides are calmly golden. Enable the cookies to chill on the baking sheet for five minutes after which switch them to a wire rack to chill fully.
- Icing: In a bowl, whisk collectively the powdered sugar, water, and corn syrup till easy.
- Unfold or pipe onto cooled cookies. You should use a drop of meals coloring to attain completely different colours. Enable the icing to arrange fully earlier than storing.
Listed below are a couple of tips I’ve realized alongside the way in which to maintain your cookies from spreading:
- Use chilly butter to start out. Dice chilly butter and blend it into the sugar with out permitting it to return as much as room temperature. This retains the dough cooler.
- Chill the dough. Even for those who begin with chilly butter you possibly can nonetheless chill the dough to be on the secure facet if spreading is a priority, or for those who’re utilizing intricate cookie cutters.
- Be sure you’re utilizing massive eggs within the cookie dough. If you happen to purchase additional massive eggs on accident (I’ve accomplished it) this can add additional moisture into your cookie, altering the consistency of the dough and inflicting the dough to unfold extra.
- Granulated sugar has a decrease moisture content material than brown sugar, and can typically unfold much less and provide you with crisper edges. This can be a brown sugar minimize out cookie recipe, so that you in all probability don’t need to sub out the sugar, however you definitely can.
- To stop much more spreading, you need to use shortening instead of butter, as butter has a better moisture content material. I choose baking with butter, however shortening is an possibility!
I choose a thicker cutout cookie, however you are able to do no matter you want! I discover that utilizing a rolling pin, the thickness proper between 1/4″ – 1/3″ is the candy spot. I typically err on the facet of a thicker cookie. However I do know so many individuals like a extra skinny and crisp cookie, which is nice too as you may get extra cookies out of your dough!
I these cookies don’t want altering, BUT you may get artistic with the extract flavors you utilize. Listed below are few to attempt:
- 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/2 teaspoon of orange extract
PIN for later: