This tremendous moist, decadent Black Magic Cake is topped with a wealthy silky easy chocolate buttercream frosting. A superbly transportable dessert, it’s baked in a 9 x 13-inch pan and is terrific to convey for picnics and potlucks!
I had no occasion through which to take this straightforward darkish chocolate cake, however with house renovations in progress, I’ve scaled again to easier dessert creations. This two-bowl, straightforward chocolate cake recipe was a win for me, a win for the household.
Be aware: This publish could include affiliate hyperlinks; view my Disclosure Coverage for particulars. I earn a small proportion from any buy you make by clicking on these hyperlinks at no further value to you.
Why You Ought to Make This Cake
- Black Magic truffles have been round for eons. Originating from Hershey’s, this moist, wealthy cake is infused with a cup of sturdy espresso which magnifies the chocolate taste. This 9 x13-inch model makes for an ideal snack cake. A slice of this old school, chocolate buttermilk cake is a pleasant after-school deal with or after-dinner dessert and is certainly much less caloric than a slice of layer cake laden with frosting.
- One other bonus is that it’s not a lot tougher to make than a field cake combine. There is only one bowl wanted for the cake and one other for the frosting! Straightforward as could be!
- Talking of buttermilk, this ingredient works its magic, too, by guaranteeing a young crumb. And take a gander on the photograph under and also you’ll see why the frosting bowl have to be licked! The chocolate buttercream is easy and luscious.
From the feedback: Made this cake final night time and took some to my buddy who cuts my hair. She simply despatched me a textual content “Holy hell!!! I swear on my son’s life that’s the greatest cake I’ve EVER had!
Continuously Requested Questions
Perhaps not fairly black, however this recipe does make a darkish chocolate cake, thus deserving the identify black magic. The style is certainly magical!
King Arthur Flour sells a black cocoa (affiliate hyperlink)that might create a good darker cake. It’s Dutch-processed so you possibly can’t simply swap it out for normal cocoa because the leaveners additionally should be tweaked. However be at liberty to intensify the depth by substituting 1/4 cup or much less of the common cocoa powder for the black cocoa should you’d prefer to go that route.
Espresso intensifies the chocolate taste with out making the cake style like espresso or a mocha dessert. Don’t fear should you’re not a fan of espresso, the addition is so refined it’s virtually indistinguishable.
This recipe comes from Hershey’s. Their recipe is made in a Bundt pan and is likely one of the uncommon recipes with all 5-star critiques!
Suggestions for Making This Black Magic Cake
- When you love this recipe, try how one can make it with different-sized pans listed under.
- Have your eggs and buttermilk at room temperature for the very best incorporation. Simply allow them to sit at room temperature for about an hour earlier than you begin mixing. You’ll be able to put the eggs in a bowl of heat water to hurry issues alongside.
- PRO-Tip: When you don’t have buttermilk readily available you may make it at house. Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar to a liquid measuring cup. Add milk as much as the 1 cup mark. Let sit for a couple of minutes because the acid will barely curdle or thicken the milk. Use because the “buttermilk” referred to as for within the recipe.
- Prep the baking pan by greasing after which flippantly dusting with flour to stop sticking. A flour and oil spray like Bakers Pleasure additionally works nicely.
- Be aware that whenever you see vegetable oil in a cake recipe as an alternative of butter, the result’s normally a pleasant, moist cake.
- PRO-Tip: For the smoothest frosting, sift your powdered sugar. In any other case, there could also be very small lumps.
This cake could be made as a Bundt cake, layer cake, cupcakes or a snack cake, like above. All the alternate options are baked at 350 levels, however the baking time will differ:
Extra Chocolate Cake Recipes You’ll Love
In relation to any celebration at our home, invariably a chocolate cake recipe will likely be requested. A Gooey Upside Down German Chocolate Cake can be my first selection, although we’d all take pleasure in an enormous slice of this French Silk Chocolate Cake. This Chocolate Turtle Bundt Cake is a scrumptious possibility and my household adores my old school Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake or my Fudgy Chocolate Sheet Cake.
Take a look at my Finest Baking Suggestions for extra suggestions for baking desserts together with my recipe index for extra Chocolate Recipes and Cake Recipes.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup sturdy black espresso
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick butter)
- 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Warmth oven to 350°F. Grease and flour one 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan.
2. Stir collectively sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt in massive bowl. Add eggs, buttermilk, espresso, oil and vanilla; beat on medium pace of mixer 2 minutes (Batter will likely be skinny). Pour batter evenly into ready pan.
3. Bake 35 to 40 minutes for rectangular pan or till wood decide inserted in middle comes out clear. Cool on a wire rack. Frost as desired.
4. Soften butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency.
5. Add small quantity further milk, if wanted. Stir in vanilla. Makes about 2 cups frosting.
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 224Whole Fats: 6gSaturated Fats: 1gTrans Fats: 0gUnsaturated Fats: 4gLdl cholesterol: 16mgSodium: 241mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 1gSugar: 31gProtein: 3g