My Beef Ragu recipe cooks for hours till the meat is extremely tender and flavorful. Serve it with pappardelle pasta for a hearty and spectacular dinner! Recipe features a how-to video!
Beef Ragu with Pappardelle
This cozy and satisfying beef ragu recipe is impressed by my late Italian great-grandmother’s family-famous fettuccine. Whereas I ought to preface this recipe with the truth that that is not her recipe (sadly, I don’t have it), she did educate me what good Italian meals ought to style like, and that is most undoubtedly it.
My model is wealthy, thick, hearty, and warm-you-straight-down-to-your-toes satisfying. It’s *good* chilly climate consolation meals, and takes solely half-hour to prep earlier than going within the oven. You’ll love how tender the meat will get after cooking for hours, (very like with my beef stew).
In the event you’re intimidated about cooking a roast–don’t be. We’ll be breaking it down into smaller items and searing on the range for just some minutes earlier than the oven does the remainder. It is a principally hands-off recipe, and nice for making ready upfront! I extremely suggest serving with some garlic knots or breadsticks for the total stick-to-your-ribs expertise.
One notice earlier than we start: Don’t use a non-enameled forged iron pot! The iron will react with the tomato sauce and can make the ultimate dish style distinctly metallic after cooking all that point. I’ve discovered this the laborious method 🙁
What You Want
This beef ragu is a taste explosion of carefully-selected substances, together with:
- Beef. Chuck roast is the only option right here. It shreds properly and turns into tremendous tender and flavorful after cooking for just a few hours.
- Veggies. We use a mirepoix; carrots, celery, onion, garlic, and tomatoes. We’ll additionally throw in some herbs together with bay leaves and thyme.
- Purple wine vinegar. It’s Crucial (Sure, capital “I” — it’s crucial!) that you just cook dinner down the crimson wine vinegar as indicated, in any other case your beef ragu may have a vinegary style. When cooked correctly, it improves the tenderness of the meat and makes the sauce wealthy and flavorful. Prepare dinner it till you’ll be able to now not odor the acidity whenever you waft the steam from the pot in direction of you. When unsure, all the time choose to cook dinner for extra time slightly than much less.
- Pasta. I like to make use of thick pappardelle or tagliatelle noodles and even fettuccine. Broad noodles are greatest for one of these sauce.
SAM’S TIP: In the event you don’t wish to use vinegar, a dry crimson wine (like merlot) might be used as a substitute. You’ll be able to enhance this to ½ cup, however nonetheless scale back it on the stovetop as indicated.
Keep in mind, that is simply an outline of the substances I used and why. For the total recipe please scroll right down to the underside of the put up!
Learn how to Make Beef Ragu
- Sear the meat – Season your beef with salt and pepper, then sear it over medium excessive warmth till browned on all sides. Take away the meat to a plate.
- Prepare dinner the veggies – Scale back the warmth to medium and add the butter. As soon as melted, toss within the carrots, celery, and onion and cook dinner till softened.
- Create a flavorful base – Add the garlic and cook dinner for 30 seconds, then stir within the tomato paste.
- Deglaze the pan – Add the crimson wine vinegar, scraping the pan as you do to include any browned bits on the underside of the pot. Prepare dinner till the vinegar is 50% diminished and now not has a pungent odor.
- Add the remaining substances – Stir within the beef broth, tomatoes, water, and crushed crimson pepper. As soon as simmering, add the meat and herbs.
- Cowl and cook dinner – Cowl the pot with a lid and cook dinner at 350F for 3 hours.
- Check for doneness – As soon as the meat is tender, take away it to a plate.
- Create the sauce – Mash the greens within the pot till easy.
- Shred the meat – Shred the meat, then return it to the pot. Style take a look at for seasoning.
- Take pleasure in! Toss with cooked pasta and prime with grated parmesan, or function desired.
SAM’S TIP: In the event you plan to serve your beef ragu with noodles, save among the pasta water! It helps the sauce cling superbly to the noodles. In the event you’re tossing every thing collectively, I additionally suggest simply beginning with ¾ lb of noodles (because the noodles soak up loads of the sauce) and solely add extra if wanted.
Ceaselessly Requested Questions
I favor a broad pasta noodle like pappardelle, fettuccini, or tagliatelle. You may additionally do rigatoni, gnocchi, or cavatappi. In the event you don’t wish to serve your beef ragu over pasta, every other grain might work (like polenta!) or you possibly can even serve it over mashed potatoes.
A beef minimize that shreds properly is greatest; for me, that’s chuck roast. Brisket might additionally work, but it surely’s not my favourite selection right here. As a bonus, chuck roast is usually fairly cheap, and whereas it’s a troublesome minimize of meat, the lengthy, gradual cooking course of makes it unbelievably melt-in-your-mouth tender by dinnertime.
Sure! Beef ragu will maintain within the freezer in an hermetic container for a number of months. To thaw, let sit within the fridge in a single day earlier than reheating.
In search of extra consolation meals? Attempt my baked ziti or stuffed shells!
Take pleasure in!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe and video beneath! In the event you do that recipe, you should definitely tag me on Instagram, and you may also discover me on YouTube and Fb
Servings: 8 servings
Forestall your display screen from going darkish
Prepare rack to heart of oven and preheat oven to 350F (165C).
Season beef on all sides with salt and pepper.
3 lb chuck roast, 1 teaspoon desk salt, 1 teaspoon floor black pepper
Warmth oil in a big enameled Dutch oven over medium/excessive warmth. As soon as oil is shimmering, add beef and sear on all sides till deep brown in coloration (when you place the meat within the pot, let it sit for about 2-3 minutes earlier than touching/turning it so that you get a pleasant sear). After searing, take away to a plate and put aside. There ought to be plenty of browned bits on the underside of the pot – depart these, they’re nice for taste.
2 Tablespoons additional virgin olive oil
Scale back warmth to medium. Add butter to the pot and, as soon as melted, add carrot, celery, and onion and cook dinner, stirring sometimes, till softened (about 3-5 minutes).
1 Tablespoon butter, 2 carrots, 2 celery stalks, 1 medium yellow onion
Add garlic and cook dinner, stirring ceaselessly, till aromatic (about 30 seconds).
1 ½ Tablespoons minced garlic
Add tomato paste and stir till well-incorporated with veggies.
3 Tablespoons tomato paste
Deglaze the pan by slowly pouring in crimson wine vinegar and scraping the underside of the pan to loosen any brown bits. Prepare dinner till the vinegar is diminished by about 50% and the steam from the pot now not has a pungent vinegar odor.
⅓ cup crimson wine vinegar
Add beef broth, water, crushed tomatoes, and crushed crimson pepper (if utilizing). Carry to a simmer, stirring sometimes.
2 cups beef broth, ¼ cup water, 28 oz crushed tomatoes, ¼ teaspoon crushed crimson pepper
Return beef to the pot and add bay leaves and thyme (be sure that they’re submerged), cowl with lid, and switch to the oven.
2-3 contemporary thyme springs, 2 dried bay leaves
Prepare dinner for 3 hours or till beef is extraordinarily tender and could also be simply shredded with a fork (however don’t shred it but).
Take away beef from the pot. Use a potato masher to interrupt up the greens within the pot (for a smoother sauce, use an immersion blender, however I like mine a bit heartier). Shred the meat and return to the pot. Style-test and add further salt/pepper as wanted.
Function desired, I prefer to serve mine over pappardelle. In the event you’d prefer to toss the noodles with the bolognese sauce, reserve a little bit of the pasta water (about ½ cup) and add it into the sauce with the noodles and simmer over low warmth for a number of minutes till thickened and clinging to the noodles earlier than serving. High with freshly grated parmesan cheese.
12 oz-1 lb Pappardelle or most well-liked pasta, Parmesan cheese
For greatest taste in a gradual cooker, I like to recommend first following steps 1-7 then transferring every thing (beef, veggies/vinegar in pot and remaining substances) to the gradual cooker and cooking for 7-8 hours on low or 5 hours on excessive. Don’t skip the steps or the sauce will likely be skinny and vinegary tasting.
Retailer in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 5 days or within the freezer for a number of months.
Serving: 1serving | Energy: 565kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 42g | Fats: 27g | Saturated Fats: 11g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 3g | Monounsaturated Fats: 13g | Trans Fats: 1g | Ldl cholesterol: 157mg | Sodium: 854mg | Potassium: 1092mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 448IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 94mg | Iron: 6mg
Dietary data relies on third-party calculations and ought to be thought-about an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will differ primarily based upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking technique, portion sizes, and extra.