The Mazzer Mini was initially launched as a compact industrial espresso grinder for small companies and espresso carts. Nonetheless, the rise of prosumer espresso machines gave it a second life as a high-end dwelling grinder, and Residence Grounds decided how effectively it straddles these two worlds.
Learn on to study concerning the Mazzer Mini, beginning with the truth that it is available in three totally different variations. By the top, we promise you’ll know if it’s the proper selection on your dwelling or enterprise.
Abstract: Mazzer Mini
- Scaled-down industrial espresso grinders are additionally appropriate for the house barista.
- The doser and doserless model of the Mazzer Mini has stainless-steel flat burrs.
- Glorious construct high quality and sturdiness from a revered Italian firm.
I’ve used it each day and have by no means needed to do a single factor to this lovely machine. The burrs grind in addition to the day it was new.
– Buyer evaluate
A Full Mazzer Mini Evaluate
To keep away from confusion, let’s begin by discussing the varied fashions of the Mazzer Mini espresso grinder and their names. Sadly, totally different distributors use barely totally different naming programs, which could be troublesome for shoppers to navigate.
There are three important variations of the Mazzer Mini:
- The unique Mazzer Mini espresso grinder is often known as the Mazzer Mini Timer or Mazzer Mini Doser. These are all the identical factor. The Mazzer Mini has each a timer and a doser. You may additionally discover reference to the Mazzer Mini P. On this case, P merely stands for “Polished.” It’s the identical grinder however has a shiny steel end designed to pair with a prosumer espresso machine.
- The Mazzer Mini A Digital is the most costly and superior model of the espresso grinder. It replaces the doser and timer with a completely automated programmable dosing system, and it has an upgraded burr set relative to the unique.
- The Mazzer Mini B Digital is similar to the A model. It has the identical burr set and automated dosing, however the programming is barely much less intuitive. In some instances, each (or both of) the Mazzer Mini A and B are known as Mazzer Mini E Sort, wherein E stands for “Digital.”
With that terminology out of the way in which, let’s get began on the evaluate. We’ll cowl what you possibly can count on from all three fashions in additional element, together with their vital variations and similarities.
The place to Purchase the Mazzer Mini
A number of trusted retailers are providing one or all fashions of the Mazzer Mini grinder. We have now labored intently with all these manufacturers and might vouch for his or her experience. Be at liberty to buy the present greatest costs and customer support choices.
For the Mazzer Mini:
|complete latte love||
||CLICK TO CHECK PRICE|
For the Mazzer Mini A Digital:
For the Mazzer Mini B Digital:
Aesthetics are at all times within the eye of the beholder, however the Mazzer Mini has by no means been famend for its magnificence. This espresso grinder has chosen type over operate, although there are indicators that issues are altering. The newer digital variations of the Mazzer Mini have a sleeker look and can be found in enjoyable colours like pink and yellow, and I believe this evolution will proceed.
In recent times, prosumer-level espresso grinders have shifted from trying like small variations of business espresso grinders into extra pleasant dwelling home equipment. When the Mazzer Mini was first launched, it was designed and marketed as a compact industrial espresso grinder – good for small cafes or different low-volume espresso companies. Then got here the prosumer espresso machine market, dwelling espresso fanatics who wished industrial high quality provides in a compact footprint (1). Out of the blue, the Mazzer Mini had an entire new audience.
Click on right here to study extra about our favourite prosumer espresso grinders: https://www.homegrounds.co/best-prosumer-coffee-grinder/
Ultimately, extra manufacturers realized the potential of this section, and we started seeing extra enticing prosumer espresso grinders designed to match dwelling kitchens whereas nonetheless providing excessive efficiency. For instance, have a look at the Area of interest Zero, Fiorenzato AllGround, or Eureka Mignon. It appears inevitable that future iterations of the Mazzer Mini will observe an identical trajectory in aesthetics in the event that they wish to compete for dwelling customers.
The Mazzer Mini is fairly compact in comparison with the common commercial-grade grinder. However it should nonetheless look imposing within the common dwelling kitchen. The unique doser model measures 13.2″ deep by 16.5″ tall by 7″ extensive, whereas the digital fashions are an identical in width and peak however solely 11″ deep as a result of they lack a doser. All three come normal with a big bean hopper that holds 600 g; you possibly can change this with a 320 g quick hopper if you’d like a shorter grinder to suit beneath higher cabinets.
Mazzer is an Italian firm manufacturing high industrial espresso grinders because the Forties (2). Mazzer grinders are identified for his or her construct high quality, and their longstanding partnership with La Marzocco espresso machines signifies the esteem they maintain amongst skilled baristas (3).
That’s to say that the Mazzer Mini is constructed to final. It’s a commercially rated espresso grinder, which implies that it’s designed to resist heavy use each day for many years.
Even a critical dwelling barista is unlikely to push the Mini to its restrict as a result of few houses function on the capability of a espresso store.
Other than the plastic hopper, the necessary components of the Mazzer Mini are all steel. Inside elements are metal, the burr set is stainless-steel, and the body and casing are die-cast aluminum. Each Mazzer espresso grinder comes with a 1-year guarantee.
Ease of Use 4/5
The 2 variations of the Mazzer Mini – the brand new Digital Doserless and the unique Timer Doser – are considerably totally different to make use of. So take the 4/5 rating with a grain of salt, and we’ll undergo the consumer expertise for every mannequin in additional element. Whether or not you like the workflow with or with no doser ought to dictate which model of the Mazzer Mini you purchase.
Doser vs. Doserless Espresso Grinders
There aren’t a whole lot of home grinders with doses. The Mazzer Mini and the Rancilio Rocky are the one two that soar to thoughts, which isn’t shocking, on condition that Mazzer and Rancilio are each old-school Italian manufacturers. Nevertheless, as a result of customers are unusual, they aren’t useful. It simply depends upon your coffee-making priorities.
A doser is a chamber on the entrance of the grinder that collects floor espresso in pre-established doses, which often correspond to a normal single shot of espresso. With the Mazzer Mini, you possibly can set the dose between 5.5 g and 9 g. To launch a dose into the portafilter, pull a lever. Dosers imply much less waste, much less mess, improved effectivity, and higher consistency. Astute readers will word that every one these items are valuable in busy industrial settings.
The primary draw back of a espresso grinder with a doser is that pre-ground espresso sitting within the dosing chamber can go stale in the event you’re not brewing often. Together with that, a doser is inconvenient in the event you’re often altering your grind dimension or kind of espresso beans as a result of there’s a danger that the totally different espresso grounds can combine.
Dosing by Time
All three variations of the Mazzer Mini espresso grinder dose by time, however every does it barely in another way.
The unique doser mannequin makes use of a easy timer, which is an enormous a part of its affordability. You flip a knob on the facet of the grinder, and it continues grinding till the knob is again to zero, such as you’d discover on easy toaster ovens or cheaper burr grinders. The grinding time could be between 0 and 60 seconds. This isn’t an correct method to dose espresso, nevertheless it doesn’t matter on this case as a result of the mechanism within the doser itself does the dosing.
The digital variations depend on programmable timed grinding for improved accuracy, however setting the timer is extra difficult within the Sort B mannequin.
- In Sort A, a management panel atop the funnel makes programming easy. There are separate buttons for a single shot and a double shot; you possibly can set every to the dose you like. There may be additionally a button for steady grinding.
- In Sort B, there is no such thing as a management panel. You’ll want to set the timing of a single shot dose utilizing a screwdriver. Nevertheless, when you set it, dosing is so simple as pushing a button (as soon as for a single shot, double-click for a double dose, and maintain down for guide). Whereas the screwdriver step seems like a trouble, this grinder has a stunning workflow in the event you don’t plan to vary the dose often.
Grinding Functionality 4/5
There’s a distinction between the fashions when it comes to grinding functionality. All three variations share the identical highly effective 250 Watt motor, stepless grind adjustment, and glorious grind high quality. When you can grind for any brew methodology, from French press to drip espresso to Turkish espresso, these grinders are designed for espresso. A stepless grinder makes it doable to dial within the good espresso grind with nice precision thanks to close infinite grind settings however makes it troublesome to change backwards and forwards between coarse and high-quality grinds.
The place the three grinders differ is of their burr units. The unique Mazzer Mini has 58 mm flat metal burrs, whereas the digital variations have 64 mm flat metal burrs. All different issues are equal. Bigger burrs are higher as a result of they permit quicker grinding. There are a couple of benefits to grinding quicker. It’s extra environment friendly in a busy setting and limits warmth era, which implies higher taste from the espresso beans. And bigger burrs last more explains Chase Lemos of Nuova Recambi, an espresso machine components provider (4).
The dimensions of the burr will affect the quantity of labor a set of burrs are in a position to do. The bigger the burr, the extra unfold out the job of breaking down the bean might be, and the longer the burr will final.
Whether or not you like flat or conical burrs is a matter of non-public preferences, however flat burrs are extra frequent in high-end grinders as a result of they provide improved grind consistency. Higher grind consistency means a extra even extraction and a cleaner cup with larger readability of taste. Conical burrs produce extra fines, producing espresso with a heavier physique, extra texture, and muddier flavors.
A standard criticism of flat burr grinders is that they’ve increased grind retention (5). Some trendy grinders have added methods to alleviate this – small bellows and tits – however the Mazzer Mini has no such gadgets. This can be a direct results of its industrial grinder roots, as retention is much less of a problem in a espresso store setting. There are some methods and modifications you’ll find on-line to enhance grind retention within the Mini, however usually, this isn’t the proper grinder in the event you don’t plan to make use of it often. And it’s undoubtedly not a grinder to make use of for single dosing.
Worth for Cash 3/5
I’ve discovered that the worth of the Mazzer Mini fashions varies considerably between sellers, so it’s value procuring round. Sometimes, the unique mannequin with the doser runs between half and two-thirds the price of the digital fashions. There may also be fairly extensive value swings (upwards of $100) between totally different finishes and colours of the Mini, so be sure you account on your aesthetic wants in your funds.
The Mazzer Mini was made for small espresso outlets, eating places, or espresso carts, and in these contexts, it affords glorious worth.
It’s an equally nice choose as a secondary grinder in a bigger enterprise. For many dwelling customers, nonetheless, it’s troublesome to say the Mazzer Mini is well worth the value. It depends upon how a lot espresso you make. This can be a workhorse espresso grinder with spectacular construct high quality and sturdiness, and that’s what you’re paying for. Suppose you’re a espresso lover who solely makes a couple of espresso pictures a day. In that case, you don’t want that sort of sturdiness, and also you is perhaps higher off placing your funds in the direction of different grinders with greater burrs, extra programmability, or cooler type.
For instance, the Fiorenzato F4 espresso grinder has the identical value and burr set as the unique Mazzer Mini however is provided with programmable controls and a pleasant consumer interface. Likewise, you’ll see in evaluate of the Mahlkonig X54 that it has a barely smaller burr set however extra intuitive controls. Or the Fiorenzato AllGround has a 64 mm flat burr set, a programmable touchscreen, and beautiful type – for lower than the price of the Mazzer Mini B Sort.
Don’t Purchase the Mazzer Mini Espresso Grinder If…
- You need one thing for a medium or massive espresso store: Whereas the Mazzer Mini is commercially rated, as its identify suggests, it’s not designed for high-volume settings like busy cafes. On this case, you must go for one in every of Mazzer’s much less mini fashions just like the well-known Mazzer Tremendous Jolly. The Tremendous Jolly has 64 mm burrs, a 2.7 pound bean hopper, and the sturdiness to resist heavy use. You may learn extra about it in our Mazzer Tremendous Jolly grinder evaluate.
- You like conical burrs: In case you desire the flavour profile of an espresso ready with a conical burr grinder, there are a couple of choices in the marketplace – although fewer than you’ll discover for flat burrs (6). The apparent selection is the Area of interest Zero, which is across the identical value because the Mini and even makes use of a set of Mazzer burrs.
In case you’re keen to drop a bit more money, there’s a beautiful Kafatek grinder with conical burrs, although just like the Area of interest, it’s single-dosing. If you need a premium electrical conical burr espresso grinder with a hopper, the subsequent step up is the Mazzer Kony, nevertheless it’s practically twice the worth of the Mazzer Mini and is considerably bigger.
- You don’t make espresso: Can the Mazzer Mini grind for drip espresso? Sure. Do you have to spend this sort of cash on an espresso grinder that gained’t be used for espresso? In all probability not. As a substitute, I’d recommend one of many Eureka Mignon grinders, just like the Filtro, or maybe the trendy and compact Fellow Ode. Each have bigger flat burrs than the Mazzer Mini and are cheaper.
The Mazzer Mini has been common for a very long time, and a great motive. It’s a espresso grinder that works effectively and can proceed to work for so long as you want it, even beneath heavy workloads. This makes it a superb selection for light-duty industrial work or for households that make a whole lot of espressos. However not everybody will get their cash’s value from the Mazzer Mini grinder. In case you solely make a couple of pictures a day, you’ll find a cheaper grinder with comparable specs that’s extra fitted to home use.
- Stanley, Z. (2022, April 14). How is the house espresso machine market evolving? Retrieved from https://perfectdailygrind.com/2022/04/home-espresso-machine-evolution/
- Berson, A. (2013, October 1). Let’s Go to a Espresso Manufacturing unit: Mazzer Grinders of Gardigiano, Italy. Retrieved from https://sprudge.com/mazzer-factory-tour-44860.html
- Barista Journal. (2014, December 30). La Marzocco Residence Grinder: Collaboration with Mazzer. Retrieved from https://www.baristamagazine.com/la-marzocco-home-grinder-collaboration-mazzer/
- Lemos, C. (2018, July 17). Espresso Grinder Burrs: What’s the Distinction? Retrieved from https://coffeetechniciansguild.org/weblog/2018/7/17/espresso-grinder-burrs-whats-the-difference
- Petrich, I.L. (2020, Could 12). Espresso grinders: What’s the distinction between conical & flat burr grinders? Retrieved from https://perfectdailygrind.com/2020/05/conical-vs-flat-burr-coffee-grinders-difference
- Schomer, D. (2019, August 30). A Name to Motion on Espresso Grinders, by David Schomer. Retrieved from https://dailycoffeenews.com/2019/08/30/a-call-to-action-on-espresso-grinders-by-david-schomer/