Nearly like a hearty, slightly-spicy stew, this butterbean soup with chorizo, is filling and super-flavourful.
Topping it off with feta and watercress may sound a bit unusual, however please attempt it. It simply works.
The delicately creamy butterbeans (lima beans when you’re within the US) absorb the flavours from the chorizo and tomato to make it a hearty and scrumptious soup.
20 minutes from begin to end, you could possibly simply serve this with some salad and perhaps some crusty bread for a fast, after-work dinner.
📋 What do we want?
📺 Watch easy methods to make it
Full recipe with detailed steps within the recipe card on the finish of this put up.
👩🍳PRO TIP Add a splash of sizzling sauce (I like Franks sizzling pepper sauce) for a spicier model.
You can also make this soup forward, and it additionally freezes very well. I’ve included directions on the finish of the recipe card on this.
🍽️ What to serve it with
I like to make a double or triple batch of this, then freeze it in parts.
It makes the proper warming meal once we go for a cold Spring stroll on the seaside. I refill a flask of it, then take a bit pot of the feta with me. On these events the watercress is neglected – chilly seaside walks and salad leaves positively do not go collectively!
🍲 Extra warming soup recipes
Keep up to date with new recipes!
Subscribe to the publication to listen to after I put up a brand new recipe. I’m additionally on YouTube (new movies each week) and Instagram (behind-the-scenes tales & lovely meals pictures).
Butterbean and Chorizo Soup
Butterbean Chorizo and Feta Soup – so scrumptious and prepared in 20 minutes!
Warmth the oil in a big frying pan over a medium warmth.
1 tsp oil
Add the onions and chorizo and fry for 5-6 minutes till the onions begin to flip translucent and the chorizo is calmly browned and beginning to launch its oils
1 onion, 85 g (3 oz) chorizo
Add within the tinned tomatoes, inventory, tomato puree, sugar, thyme, salt and pepper and simmer for 7-8 minutes, stirring sometimes.
400 g (14oz) tin of chopped tomatoes in juice, 300 ml (1 ¼ cups) rooster inventory, 1 tbsp tomato puree (paste of USA), 1 tsp sugar, ½ tsp thyme, Pinch of salt and pepper
Add within the butterbeans, stir, and prepare dinner for two minutes till warmed via.
400 g (14 oz) tin of butterbeans (lima beans)
Ladle into two bowls and high with crumbled feta and watercress.
45 g (1.5 oz) feta cheese, Handful of recent watercress
Can I make it forward?
Sure, you can also make the soup forward, however do not add the feta and watercress toppings till you come to serve it.
- Make the soup, cool, cowl and refrigerate for 2-3 days, then reheat in a pan, over a medium warmth, stirring usually, till piping sizzling (about 5 minutes).
- Add a splash of water or inventory to loosen it up when reheating when you assume it wants it.
Can I freeze it?
- Sure, make the soup (however do not add the watercress and feta toppings – depart these off till you are serving the soup) then cool, switch to an appropriate container with a lid and freeze.
I prefer to freeze mine in particular person parts.
- Defrost in a single day within the fridge, then reheat as per the ‘make-ahead’ directions above.
- Swap the watercress for pea shoots or spinach
- Add extra greens. Peas, sweetcorn, chunks of cooked potato or cooked butternut squash work effectively.
- Make it spicy with a splash of sizzling pepper/chilli sauce.
- Make it creamy with a splash of double (heavy) cream or a tablespoon of creme fraiche. I typically prefer to make it creamy AND spicy!
- Swap the feta for crumbled chunks of cheddar, Lancashire cheese or a sprinkling of parmesan.
The way to scale up this recipe
Double or triple the recipe, sticking to the identical ingredient ratios. It would take 10 minutes longer altogether with the prep time and cooking time:
- Add an additional 2-3 minutes frying time for the onions and chorizo.
- Add 3 minutes longer simmering time once you add the tinned tomatoes.
- Add 2 minutes longer simmering time after you add the butterbeans.
Dietary info is approx, per portion (this recipe serves 2)
Energy: 508kcalCarbohydrates: 48gProtein: 26gFats: 24gSaturated Fats: 9gLdl cholesterol: 57mgSodium: 2693mgPotassium: 1100mgFiber: 12gSugar: 11gVitamin A: 370IUVitamin C: 23.5mgCalcium: 235mgIron: 6.6mg
This put up was first revealed in Could 2015. Replace March 2023 with new pictures, video a small recipe tweak and a few housekeeping.
A number of the hyperlinks on this put up could also be affiliate hyperlinks – which suggests when you purchase the product I get a small fee (at no additional value to you). For those who do purchase, then thanks! That’s what helps us to maintain Kitchen Sanctuary operating. The dietary info supplied is approximate and may range relying on a number of elements. For extra info please see our Phrases & Situations.